attachment file size issue?

ggdad1951

Anyone else seeing issues with adding attachments?  I wanted to add a picture today and the biggest file I could add was about 13kb....a postage stamp....is it just me or is there some sort of "total attachment size limit" I am aware for a user?  My process to add pics hasn't changed but now I get these warnings and the file size keeps getting smaller each time!

Capture.PNG

uhh, you're a mod, you're supposed to be the guy with those answers, lol.  I run into that sometimes.  I just close out my browser and try again.  Usually, that works.  If it doesn't I just put it up on my site and do a URL image link.

7 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

You are out of space on attachment quota. It's at 99% used.

Give me a while to figure out how raise it. 

Didn't know we had a quota!  I'll make files even smaller from now on.

29 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

Try now.

For future reference .... is there a way I or a user can go in and edit old post And remove old photos that are really nonsense and no real value to a thread?

Would that free up space on my end so do not run out of space?

Also is there a way a typical user can check and see the % of space used & left?

Depending on your device OS, click on the upper right screen corner (either your username or the 3-horizontal bar "hamburger")...a drop down menu should have an option for Account then choose My Attachments, or a drop down menu will show the My Attachments option under the CONTENT options...the My Attachments screen will have a status bar of your storage usage of your Attachments Quota.  To the right of each attachment in storage is a box that can be checked, allowing multiple files to be deleted.  If you delete the attachment from your attachment quota, wherever it is linked will no longer display the image.  You can then go back to whatever posts that you want to modify or update by clicking the 3 dots at the upper right of the post, which will activate the drop down menu giving the option to Edit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

No.

And we don't have any annual fees except for personal blogs. Everybody has a quota of free storage on the P15-D24 server. The moderators have a larger quota.  When a member fills up his quota he has to either delete some photos or use an external source like PhotoBucket. Optionally, typically your ISP (i.e. cable company) provides a free web server where you can store images and link to them here. We have discussed in the past about an option where members could purchase additional storage capacity on the P15-D24 server, but no one really expressed any interest. 

I just checked. I am at 82% of my limit. Yikes. I'm just a rookie around here compared to the experienced members.When I run out I suppose I could start a new account. Call it keithb8 or something and use the same ID photo. 

Active members here who continuously help others, and post images, ride reports, data, etc. are attracting all the other members to come back here. Restricting the most active members, by limiting their uploads has a negative effect doesn't it? This forum is a give and take. Someone invests money to host, set  up and maintain this forum. All the members here benefit from that tremendously. It goes the other way too I think. By the members posting pics, data, sharing their knowledge, it makes for a great site. 

Have a look at the top member's reputations. Those people keep us coming back here. Then the forum owners can sell advertising. If you dig down, I think that's really what the investment is all about for the site owner. Advertising revenue.

Could the site owner maybe set up some kind if scale for data allowance? As your community reputation grows, so does your data limit? The more people who like your posts, that shows how much a member is contributing to the overall success of this forum. Those members could be rewarded with more data?

For example you hit 1000 reputation you get xx data storage. You hit 2000 you get xx. data storage. Does a new member start out with the max amount that all members get?

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.27.19 AM.png

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

I'd rather pay you for storage space over paying Photobucket. They've really gone downhill in the past couple of years.  

This got me thinking... I also just received my renewal notice from Apple/Photobucket. Apparently Photobucket is now part of Apple. 

As I am not getting much value from their service any longer I have decided to cancel my subscription. I downloaded all of my photos from there and saved them as backups on my Dropbox account, then I had to login to iTunes to cancel my Photobucket subscription. My older posts with linked photos will be messed up now, but oh well... If anyone needs those photos for information while doing a search, they are welcome to contact me for them.  

Just now, keithb7 said:

I just checked. I am at 82% of my limit.

I find that interesting, not positive if I have been here longer then you. I have 2100 post you have 1700 .... Pretty sure I am more scattered brain then you and wander off topic and post pics often. I am at 47% of my limit.  Dunno whats going on there.

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

I'd rather pay you for storage space over paying Photobucket. They've really gone downhill in the past couple of years.  

I would agree with that also, take my money  :)   I gave up photobucket years ago when they simply held peoples photos for ransom & locked people out ... at the time tinypic was just as good. Then that went away. And I agree with them 100%, they are just not people I want to spend money with.

Same time, I do not believe it is as easy as just flipping a switch. There is long term commitment to server space which cost money, there is more responsibility added to the board owner .... What happens in 6 months if users do not pay dues, then the board owner is responsible ... Just not as simple as wanting something.

Couple points. Both storage and bandwidth cost $$$ at both my local ISP and the hosting site for P15-D24.  Most forum sites don't offer free image posting with storage on the site server. Instead they require 3rd party hosting like Photobucket and then Photobucket  charges more to allow external site access. I decided to incur the cost as I think the easier it is for people to post images to the threads the better the story and experience.  If you downsample your images before posting you should be able to share hundred of pictures. When you post a file a gigabyte in size you will go through your quota pretty quick.

That said I'm open to proposals for options to allow additional disk storage people could add as a "subscription". Probably would have limitation like they can only be used on this site (no eBay image hosting) and copyright sharing/release.  If people are serious post your idea/proposals.  Just don't forget bandwidth (for downloads) and storage is not free from my site ISP so some charge will be involved.   

I would rather pay for a subscription or member dues here, to the P15-D24 Forum, than to some of the other Mopar clubs and sites I am currently a paying member. The POC just started a Members Only section in their forum, you have to be a paying club memeber of POC and get a password from the club president to use. The POC is also trying to figure out away to do the same to their Facebook page. 

When I post photos now, I have a procedure that gets kinda involved but utilizes my current hardware and software.  The handy camera phone takes the pictures that I then move onto my (ancient) laptop hard drive to allow me to organize into folders, which is also backed up on my Norton cloud account.  I can then downsize the pictures I want to add to my attachment quota by using MS Photo Editor, typically taking a 3 MB jpg down to <200kb.  I then have to get a reliable signal on my wireless modem to upload the downsized pics from my laptop to my attachment quota, which I can then add to a post.  I had tried several years ago, before giving PB a shot at hosting, to post pics in the gallery as that could be organized into albums, then use that as a source to imbed pics in posts, but that did not work.  My problem with the My Attachments is that pics cannot be organized into albums or folders for faster recall than looking at each attachment to see if what I want to reference in a post has already been saved...I have recently discovered several duplicate pics in my quota that I need to clean up to maximize my storage.

Since the online store has become available, every year I send some of my bday $$$ to support this site as I feel the amount is a usage fee for contributing to the site database as well as using its information and accompanying storage.  If this kind of subscription allowed for attachment organization into albums or folders, I would be interested in subscribing.  I have no need for photobucket outside of this site, and could migrate photos onto this site's storage to update posts as I've already had to do.

Not really sure what to suggest. I want to compare to another forum H.A.M.B. they have a premium account where you pay a yearly dues.

The ones who pay have a signature with their name ... Just a little recognition ... Which I personally would not care about, but would remind others that their is a option to get same recognition.

What benefits actually come with the yearly Dues ... which is purely a choice for user.  That is up to the board owner and what works for them.

Got to be careful here and not get over extended.

To be honest today we have a option to donate ... I kinda feel dirty to donate, feel like am pulling up to a bum on the corner then hand them some money.

This forum is way better then that! I would not hesitate to pay a yearly fee or what  I call yearly dues ... maybe $50 a year ... does that sound close? Or am I just cheap?

Just ideas.

If it makes any sense, I love this forum, I love it's style, Can not appreciate enough all the help I have received, I try to return what I can ... I would love to be called a paid member to this forum.

Again it is up to the board owner, is it possible to play with it for a year without really offering much, see how it goes and if it really is worthwhile?

The alternative is for the board owner ... Well I had a board, made some changes & really got more work then it was worth, I just gave it up.

Just saying baby steps, do not change anything uncomfortable with .... we like to keep this forum  :)

36 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

My problem with the My Attachments is that pics cannot be organized into albums or folders for faster recall than looking at each attachment to see if what I want to reference in a post has already been saved...I have recently discovered several duplicate pics in my quota that I need to clean up to maximize my storage.

Pretty sure if you upload/organize your photos in the Gallery section they can easily be shared in any thread you want. Let me do a little research to verify and then I will post an example. 

9 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Not really sure what to suggest. I want to compare to another forum H.A.M.B. they have a premium account where you pay a yearly dues.

The ones who pay have a signature with their name ... Just a little recognition ... Which I personally would not care about, but would remind others that their is a option to get same recognition.

Is just having additional storage enough to justify the subscription fee?  Are other benefits needed?

Just now, P15-D24 said:

Is just having additional storage enough to justify the subscription fee?  Are other benefits needed?

To be honest I would say nothing is needed. I love this forum as is, I think many others agree and would subscribe.

My biggest worry would be it would affect the current forum ... We do not want things to go away.

If you paid dues in the hamb, you get a tag under your handle. Same time they snobs and will not contribute.

ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me honestly is enough, not asking for more ... of course you would not use the same tag ... Have to make up your own name ... I suppose if you offered something extra, it might make it more enticing to join the club. I think many of us would join just as is.  Then others would join just because.

Is it really easy for you to add more photo space? ... Be honest been here many years and still less then 50% usage ... not a big deal to me.

That is where I am saying to be careful, I would not change anything but the donation option to a yearly dues option and just a little tag under the users name to recognize a paid dues member.

4 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

Photobucket is not part of Apple. Beware of potential scams!

Maybe not, but when I was logged into Photobucket and went to their Cancel Subscription link it redirected me to iTunes. I had to login to the iTunes Store, via iTunes, to cancel my subscription.