New tie rod end not working?

LrudyD

Hi all, I replaced the shocks and tie rod ends yesterday on my 1948 Chrysler Windsor C-38.  I don’t think they’d eeeever been replaced! And, interestingly enough, they came off pretty easy!?   I started with the passenger side, no problems. Got to the driver’s side, no problem taking them off.  But, when it was time to put the tie rod and ends back in, it was difficult, the outer tie rod just wouldn’t seat properly.  This side has an acute angle upward from the outer to the inner tie rod end, and the purchased one wasn’t the same type as the original, and wouldn’t pivot enough for the angle and be able to seat properly.  So, in my brilliance, I decided to start tightening the nut and see if that would put it in the right location.  It actually seemed to be working, until the end boot just split! ??‍♂️

Anyone had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?  I’ll add pics

F92008DB-8652-4C5E-99E0-A01DFB0F20CC.jpeg

371997EC-D21A-4D0B-9D35-B1F80AA8A782.jpeg

Gotta wonder if you received the wrong part. Right outer and left inner appear to be the same part number. Did those two ends match?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,1948,windsor+series,4.1l+251cid+l6,1486762,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

It also looks like the shock absorber is off. Being off like that lets the front suspension hand lower and can cause problems like this. Was it off when the old tie rod end were removed.??

Could be the new "quality of Chineeese parts!"

New boots can be purchased separately from many sources. Local stores? I know Summit racing and Speedway motors sell them >

DJ

Chinese replacement close enough parts with quality chinese rubber.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ratfinkxxx said:

Gotta wonder if you received the wrong part. Right outer and left inner appear to be the same part number. Did those two ends match?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,1948,windsor+series,4.1l+251cid+l6,1486762,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

Actually, all 4 of the ends matched; only difference was 2 had opposite threading.

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

It also looks like the shock absorber is off. Being off like that lets the front suspension hand lower and can cause problems like this. Was it off when the old tie rod end were removed.??

Could be the new "quality of Chineeese parts!"

New boots can be purchased separately from many sources. Local stores? I know Summit racing and Speedway motors sell them >

DJ

Hmmm, didn’t even think of that DJ!  Yes, I did have the shock off!??‍♂️

1 hour ago, James_Douglas said:

I would have to go look at my '47 Desoto, but, I thought one went up and one went down on these?

On the passenger side, they both go up. On drivers side, both down...at least that’s how mine was before changing them, and I don’t think they’d ever been changed out.