Film Strip

Richard Cope

Purchased an advertising film strip for a 1939 Plymouth.  Looks to be in good shape, is around 34 mm in width and rolled in a small original metal container.   Looking to get it converted to a modern media, if I can't get it done locally does anyone know of a  shop that does these conversions?  Also does anyone know if these film strips included sound?  

Regards, Richard

A record was part of the training or sales kit.

I also have a couple 30's film strips of course missing the records.

5 hours ago, Richard Cope said:

Purchased an advertising film strip for a 1939 Plymouth.  Looks to be in good shape, is around 34 mm in width and rolled in a small original metal container.   Looking to get it converted to a modern media, if I can't get it done locally does anyone know of a  shop that does these conversions?  Also does anyone know if these film strips included sound?  

Regards, Richard

There are some scanners that can do slides and film strips as well.  Might be worth a trip to Best Buy (or online).

I had small reel of film transferred to a DVD at the local CVS pharmacy near my home. The film was sent out and they charged me $25.00 and did a great job. I think any film developing place could do this for you.

John R

I think you guys are wrong.  I tried to get Costco to convert my filmstrips to DVD and they said they convert 8 and 16 mm film and photographs to DVD, but not filmstrips.  Nobody does filmstrips except the Imperial club and they only do it if it's Imperial related.  You might have to figure how to do it yourself!  All of those filmstrips came with a record and booklets, charts, etc.  I have filmstrips without records, and two records without filmstrips.  The records are a sales records from 1935 on the new Dodge 12" 33rpm, and the 1941 Plymouth on a huge 16" one sided record 33 rpm.  About the records, the reason the sound is so bad on the MTSC filmstrips on the Imperial club and MyMopar websites is because they didn't understand that the RCA 33 rpm records are not the same as modern stereo records, so they recorded them with modern turntables.  I have an old Califone school phonograph with a flip stylus, 33/78.  When I play the 33 rpm record with the 33 stylus, it sounds terrible.  When I flip the stylus to 78, it sounds clear as a bell!  Some of the MTSC filmstrip kits even came with a little envelope of steel needles like you would use on an old Victrola.  The reason they gave you a package of them is because after playing one side of a record the steel needle is worn out, and you have to put in a new needle.  

• Like 3

I have one of the original Chrysler dealer players.

5E358687-8023-4AC4-B58C-8D425248D3F4.jpeg

• Like 9

When the school librarian in my home town retired she called me up: did I want all the projectors that otherwise would have been tossed? I've since give them all away (I already had one to keep.) Not expensive on ebay, you could buy one and play around with it.

The projector I kept is 60s era with a build in phonograph. The record was missing but it came with a strip advertising, I believe, BF Goodrich tires (and prominently featuring the new Mustang.) I also know a Mopar parts guy with a lot of 70s era sales kits that include filmstrips designed to provide stills to TV stations who produced local ads.

9 hours ago, Furylee2 said:

I have one of the original Chrysler dealer players.

5E358687-8023-4AC4-B58C-8D425248D3F4.jpeg

What a great piece of equipment to preserve and use! Like our favorite vehicles, the best are the working vintage.

• Like 1

Anyone that is able to project these films, I am hoping you'll please consider sharing them on You Tube. This is fantastic historical media that documents these old Mopars. Digital conversion preserves it from any further deterioration. Also it allows everyone to view and enjoy it! Its a simple as propping up an iphone. Cropping it up a little to fit the projector screen.  Record, upload and share!

Thanks.

• Like 1

About ten years ago, I found this on eBay. It was the unopened 1942  (P14) Plymouth Product filmstrip set, including the original dealer script dated September 24th, 1941. It's a fascinating look into Chrysler's marketing attempts pre-WWll.  I assume it was the last training film series that Ross Roy did for Chrysler Corp for Plymouth automobiles until after the war. 

I opened it and found everything perfectly preserved. I realized I couldn't play the 16 RPM record but eventually found some folks from the Chrysler Town and Country Club in the SF Bay area that could help me. They recorded all four sections of both the mp3 audio and WMV video files. There are four sections of each, eight files in all. I tried for a while to create an online video without success. (Youtube at that time limited how much content you could upload). Obviously that's all changed and now would be a great time to try again. If someone can help meet me put them together, I would gladly take up Keith's challenge and upload them to Youtube. Because P14s are very similar to P15s, I think it would be useful to our members, and a valuable addition to our P15D24 website. Also If anyone is interested in owning this set, let me know and I'll make you a deal you can't refuse! It needs to go to a good home.

E6FCC90E-0FC6-4FCC-895E-FD54A91DCD3C.jpeg

8BE08B4F-89B8-4641-AB02-7AFEEFA0F7D4_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3

Bob, I'm interested in buying this set.  I already have a 1941 Plymouth record like the one above, but can't play the 16" record on my Califone phonograph.  Did you say this record was 16 rpm, or did you mean 16"?  I have two projectors and would put it on Youtube so all could benefit from it.  Marc  marcapra@msn.com

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Bob, I'm interested in buying this set.  I already have a 1941 Plymouth record like the one above, but can't play the 16" record on my Califone phonograph.  Did you say this record was 16 rpm, or did you mean 16"?  I have two projectors and would put it on Youtube so all could benefit from it.  Marc  marcapra@msn.com

Marc,

My mistake- I just looked and it's a 16" record that plays at 33 1/3 RPM.   PM me and we can continue the conversation.

thanks

Bob

Hi Mark,

I have been traveling and on my cell phone don't get the full form screen, didn't see alerts for messages.  However returned today and can't find any messages from you, kindly send again.  I have heard there was a small shop near me that used to transfer film, going to go this week to see if they are still in business.  Hopefully will be able to transfer the film to flash sticks.  

Regards Richard

I have (somewhere) a VHS tape that is introducing the 1942 DeSoto. It was either used to train the sales staff or directly with customers. I also have the original strip/record. I may have had it converted to VHS years back (80s?) or I may have bought it from Harold Doebel. He still advertises in the WPC club newsletter and now sells 'DVD' one of which is 1936-61 DeSoto factory promos and commercials. I'm guessing he may have converted the VHS to disc. If anyone is in the neighborhood of Ocean Gate, NJ who could make personal contact with him, it might be worth an effort. Perhaps he has a way of transferring the strips/records. He doesn't have email, so it's by phone or snail mail or in person.

I have a box of 22 strips and records which are part of the Master Technician Service Reference Book resource that Chrysler provided to service departments. Volume 3 is missing 'Valves' and 'Steering gear'. Volume 4 is complete with 12 strips. I'd be willing to make these available if a way can be found to convert the format.

In the same pile where the 42 DeSoto set was I found one for 1954 DeSoto/Chrysler Powermatic transmission, one for the 54 (late) and 55 Coaxial power steering and one introducing the 1954 Coronado! I will have to see if my projector/record player still works!

Wouldn't it be nice for the MoPar community if the Imperial Club would share their technology?? Just saying.

40 minutes ago, 42 DeSoto Fifth Avenue said:

I have (somewhere) a VHS tape that is introducing the 1942 DeSoto. It was either used to train the sales staff or directly with customers. I also have the original strip/record. I may have had it converted to VHS years back (80s?) or I may have bought it from Harold Doebel. He still advertises in the WPC club newsletter and now sells 'DVD' one of which is 1936-61 DeSoto factory promos and commercials. I'm guessing he may have converted the VHS to disc. If anyone is in the neighborhood of Ocean Gate, NJ who could make personal contact with him, it might be worth an effort. Perhaps he has a way of transferring the strips/records. He doesn't have email, so it's by phone or snail mail or in person.

I have a box of 22 strips and records which are part of the Master Technician Service Reference Book resource that Chrysler provided to service departments. Volume 3 is missing 'Valves' and 'Steering gear'. Volume 4 is complete with 12 strips. I'd be willing to make these available if a way can be found to convert the format.

In the same pile where the 42 DeSoto set was I found one for 1954 DeSoto/Chrysler Powermatic transmission, one for the 54 (late) and 55 Coaxial power steering and one introducing the 1954 Coronado! I will have to see if my projector/record player still works!

Wouldn't it be nice for the MoPar community if the Imperial Club would share their technology?? Just saying.

I have a '54 Chrysler Town and Country wagon and would be interested in the transmission and power steering strips if and when they get put together so that they could be viewed on Youtube.

I found a company that can convert the film to a digital format.  It is ScanCafe (866-234-3909), 7998 Centerpoint  Drive, Suite 600, Indianapolis, In. 46256.  As I understand it takes a few weeks, and they charge by the foot and what type of media want it stored on. 

31 minutes ago, Richard Cope said:

I found a company that can convert the film to a digital format.  It is ScanCafe (866-234-3909), 7998 Centerpoint  Drive, Suite 600, Indianapolis, In. 46256.  As I understand it takes a few weeks, and they charge by the foot and what type of media want it stored on. 

I wonder if they can add the soundtracks...?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 42 DeSoto Fifth Avenue said:

So who's going first?

MarcDesoto bought the '42 set from me. I'm interested in the '54 Chrysler sets and would be willing to pay ScanCafe to digitize them. Then I could post to Youtube. Do they have a soundtrack, or are they just captioned filmstrips?

Bob,

In answer to your question about captions. I will have to take a look and see if I have any that don't have the record. My guess is that all of the MoPar service training strips and the Ross Roy sales strips had records. What I don't know and would be curious about is when Chrysler started using this medium in the 30s. It seems that the service training started after WWII and the sales info/training were in use earlier.

I will check out the 54 Chrysler sets that I have to see if the records work. I am I correct that the company can add the sound track?

Since this thread got started, I found my 1942 DeSoto strip and record. I'd like to get it and the Coronado transferred. Do you think the company would give a package price for doing four at a time? Marc, you in?

On 5/14/2021 at 3:17 PM, Bob Riding said:

I have a '54 Chrysler Town and Country wagon and would be interested in the transmission and power steering strips if and when they get put together so that they could be viewed on Youtube.

Bob, I found this on YOuTube

• Like 1

It looks like they have produced and posted a lot of the Chrysler Master Tech Series on Youtube, especially from 1954, so we don't have to. Early ones, like the '42 Plymouth that MarcDesoto now owns seem to be missing, however.

I too, went to YouTube. I found quite a few 53/54/55 Powerflite Master Techs but I didn't find any on Power Steering, especially the Co-Axial that I have on my 54 Coronado. You have that on your Chrysler, correct? I do have that record/strip that could be copied.

o