'47 Plymouth P15 Special deluxe Rebuild Generator & Fuel Tank Questions

47P15Cruiser

Hey Guys! Thanks for looking at my post and I highly appreciate your guys advise and former experiences and lessons learned thru you guys. I'm currently working on my dads '47 and I got the generator rebuild and now when putting it back together, I don't remember where the positive and looks to be a ground wires that mount to generator seem to go or correct order. And my other question is regarding about fuel tank removal besides removing the exhaust pipes, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the straps that secure the fuel tank to the frame. Any suggestions or ny type of help is welcome and thanks again.

IMG_7363.jpg

Depends what these two wires are connected to. If thick red is connected to A on regulator terminal, then to A on Gen (big nut)

Same with green, F on regulator goes to F on Gen, (smaller nut)

Grounding is done through mounting bolts.

20 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

Depends what these two wires are connected to. If thick red is connected to A on regulator terminal, then to A on Gen (big nut)

Same with green, F on regulator goes to F on Gen, (smaller nut)

Grounding is done through mounting bolts.

@chrysler1941 these two wires re coming off the harness but I'm sure they are ran to the voltage regulator maybe and I would have to look further into that. and referring back to what you mentioned what did you mean by big nut? the one closer to pulley or further and just asking due to the size on of the nut they look the same.

6 hours ago, 47P15Cruiser said:

@chrysler1941 these two wires re coming off the harness but I'm sure they are ran to the voltage regulator maybe and I would have to look further into that. and referring back to what you mentioned what did you mean by big nut? the one closer to pulley or further and just asking due to the size on of the nut they look the same.

Well one terminal suppose to be bit thicker with a 7/16 nut and other 3/8" nut. Anyway here's a drawing showing  A  and F and wiring.

image_2021-05-03_142853.png

For the fuel tank strap removal, under the carpet in the trunk are the bolts for the tank straps.  Don’t forget to remove the fuel sending wiring on top of the tank - also under the carpet!  I don’t have a pic for that, but it’s foreword of the strap bolt and to the left a bit.  You should be able to feel the metal cap under the carpet.  And, don’t forget to save the little furrel that is inside the fuel line attached to the tank.  By the way, I got a new fuel tank from EBay for a decent price - like $230.  It was a perfect fit.F1006F8C-700A-438F-AAC4-D0B712A47DE1.jpeg.9c78eb54f2e446dce0db13abc8c21d52.jpeg

On 5/3/2021 at 5:29 AM, chrysler1941 said:

Well one terminal suppose to be bit thicker with a 7/16 nut and other 3/8" nut. Anyway here's a drawing showing  A  and F and wiring.

image_2021-05-03_142853.png

@chrysler1941 is this diagram for a '47 Plymouth? just asking but now see what you are talking about. as far as one nut being bigger than the other, they are about the same but like you were saying I have to look at voltage regulator to see what they are labeled.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:14 PM, Kahunah said:

For the gas tank, if it's the same as '41 the nuts for the straps are through the trunk floor.

@Kahunah oh ok you have to feel around it and cut carpet to access? or should the carpet have openings? just asking but thanks for where I can start looking

On 5/3/2021 at 6:12 PM, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

If your replacing the gd straps replace the nasty tank

altenators now 6V pos grd

@michaelmarks697@yahoo.com oh I know right lol its just wanna keep it as original as possible and if I have to in the long run then yea wanna convert to 12V system.

15 hours ago, LrudyD said:

For the fuel tank strap removal, under the carpet in the trunk are the bolts for the tank straps.  Don’t forget to remove the fuel sending wiring on top of the tank - also under the carpet!  I don’t have a pic for that, but it’s foreword of the strap bolt and to the left a bit.  You should be able to feel the metal cap under the carpet.  And, don’t forget to save the little furrel that is inside the fuel line attached to the tank.  By the way, I got a new fuel tank from EBay for a decent price - like $230.  It was a perfect fit.F1006F8C-700A-438F-AAC4-D0B712A47DE1.jpeg.9c78eb54f2e446dce0db13abc8c21d52.jpeg

@LrudyD ok so you did it thru trunk by accessing the bolts under carpet? are there pre-existing cut outs or you have to feel for it and then cut? as for removing the wire to sending unit is it hard to disconnect? what  does the furrel do? where did you find it for that price? I was about to buy a whole new one with new straps, sending unit, fuel tank, with neck and clamps for about $600, if you can help me find where you got yours ill get it.

8 hours ago, 47P15Cruiser said:

@LrudyD ok so you did it thru trunk by accessing the bolts under carpet? are there pre-existing cut outs or you have to feel for it and then cut? as for removing the wire to sending unit is it hard to disconnect? what  does the furrel do? where did you find it for that price? I was about to buy a whole new one with new straps, sending unit, fuel tank, with neck and clamps for about $600, if you can help me find where you got yours ill get it.

#1 - You’ve got to feel for them! They’re in about the same position on each side of the trunk, pretty easy to feel for. Then cut the carpet! I tried doing a clean cut so I can glue it down again.

#2 - You’ll have to feel for the round steel cap that covers the hole to get to the wiring on top of the fuel tank - see the pic for position from the bolt.

#3 - The ferrel, I’m guessing, keeps the gas from leaking out of the tank where the fuel line is connected - see the pic for what the ferrel looks like.

#4 - for the fuel tank, check out ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/352612564082

Hope this helps!6F35B54B-B98A-43A4-B106-03CA79D7F22A.jpeg.39190888feaa182b11eabeef8dd7f318.jpeg9738EFCB-4FA4-4E3C-B990-D92A19C6C80C.jpeg.0a49afad5e0c9dec073f7fa782aaab81.jpeg

On 5/5/2021 at 5:52 AM, LrudyD said:

#1 - You’ve got to feel for them! They’re in about the same position on each side of the trunk, pretty easy to feel for. Then cut the carpet! I tried doing a clean cut so I can glue it down again.

#2 - You’ll have to feel for the round steel cap that covers the hole to get to the wiring on top of the fuel tank - see the pic for position from the bolt.

#3 - The ferrel, I’m guessing, keeps the gas from leaking out of the tank where the fuel line is connected - see the pic for what the ferrel looks like.

#4 - for the fuel tank, check out ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/352612564082

Hope this helps!6F35B54B-B98A-43A4-B106-03CA79D7F22A.jpeg.39190888feaa182b11eabeef8dd7f318.jpeg9738EFCB-4FA4-4E3C-B990-D92A19C6C80C.jpeg.0a49afad5e0c9dec073f7fa782aaab81.jpeg

@LrudyD oh wow just looking at the examples you provided very helpful and thanks again with your help I was so lost when it came down to it and I figured isn't that what this forum is about lol and I would like to help if I can as well . I will try to attempt this when I get my day off and also that listing you provided is way better than what I was about to pay and thanks but you don't think I should upgrade the straps and sending unit or just get tank? what would you do?

On 5/6/2021 at 9:29 PM, 47P15Cruiser said:

@LrudyD oh wow just looking at the examples you provided very helpful and thanks again with your help I was so lost when it came down to it and I figured isn't that what this forum is about lol and I would like to help if I can as well . I will try to attempt this when I get my day off and also that listing you provided is way better than what I was about to pay and thanks but you don't think I should upgrade the straps and sending unit or just get tank? what would you do?

I kept my straps and sending unit; they were both actually in good shape.  I’d clean them up, check them out, and if they’re functional, use them!

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, LrudyD said:

I kept my straps and sending unit; they were both actually in good shape.  I’d clean them up, check them out, and if they’re functional, use them!

@LrudyD that's true. might just have to check it out when im taking it out.thanks for the advise

• 5 weeks later...

I wanna first off wanna thank everybody for the assistance and support. was able to figure out the generator situation, first off its marked on it with stamped letters -_- haha just had to make new connections for the terminals.

As for the gas tank I just started to remove the side panels of the trunk to have more room to access the fuel sending unit and instead of cutting the carpet I was able to remove it and will just have to re-glue it but thats no biggie, haven't had time to go back and drop the tank but hopefully I can drop it from the trunk or is it from the bottom where the straps are?

638A3EC7-05FC-4B27-A137-2CA65A2386BB.jpeg.76b869d0d4f6b9ebb26d9e23a02efea8.jpegRemember to soak your gas tank strap nuts with penetrating oil for a few days prior to removal. They are long, have a fine thread and will be stuck. When removing, make sure you do not twist the strap. I kept my original hardware and had stainless straps installed at the local metal fab shop. Make sure you have proper tank insulators for the straps when installing. M

PS if your sending unit has 2 terminals on it, read up on that device in Motors or better yet:

A6C1A400-6D54-4550-8D16-481B462D360F.jpeg

Edited by Marcel Backs