Well I did it again...1938 Chrysler Businessman Coupe

keithb7
Go to solution Solved by MarcDeSoto,

4 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

No sorry. To big for emails and websites. But I can upload to any FTP or Dropbox. 

Also have 600 page 1936-41 Master part List and many more pre war stuff

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

@chrysler1941 Hmm. Not sure how to do that. Upload to google files and share? Allow me access? Then I can download it?

https://wetransfer.com/ is a great, free, and easy to use, tool for sending larger files to another person. You can upload up to 2GB files, enter the recipient’s email address, and it’ll send the recipient an email with a link to download the file. Or you can create a link that can be copied and pasted into your own personal email. I use it all the time. It’s awesome. 

Also... Awesome find Keith. I believe you’ll have a lot of fun with it. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

Been out cruising a wee bit tonight. I have been testing and tuning, circling the car around the neighborhood.  It's been good. Time to take it down the big hill and put it to the big test on the climb back up,  to return home.  3rd gear wide open. 35 mph. Steep grade, headed uphill.  After 7 or so seconds I start to feel a miss. Then a buck. Then she dies. Middle of a hill. No traffic coming either way. My son Kyle is with me. Man, we can smell raw gas bad.  Engine turns over but won't fire. Quick decision to roll backwards, then crank the wheels to try get pointed down hill again. A sort of slow-motion "Rockford" reverse u-turn. Got 3/4's of the way turned around. Kyle leaped out and pushed me the rest of the way.  We got rolling down the hill now. Kyle jumped in like we just robbed a bank. I tried jump start it in 3rd. Cough sputter and died. No fuel I reckon. Yet I could sure smell plenty of fuel a few minutes earlier.

While coasting down the hill we strategized a plan. It was dusk. I did a California stop at a 4 way, and carried on rolling down hill. Kept speed up, turned left,  and rolled right into a shopping mall parking lot.  Came to a stop, fired up the engine and she ran perfect again. Hmm. I'm thinking WOT, heavy load, uphill, flooded somehow maybe? Being as we could smell raw fuel. Float needle valve stuck open?  Well, we better try the hill again. She seems to be running fine now.  

This second attempt up, I stayed in second gear. Max throttle about ⅝ open. 25 mph all the way up and made it home without a problem. I get to scratching my head in the garage. I grab a flashlight and a mirror. I see a fuel regulator installed down at the pump output side. It's dripping pretty good. A leak. I suspect leaking a little all along, however at WOT up the hill, we sucked the bowl down and it was not refilling fast enough maybe? The drip was considerable as float was wide open and lots flowing thru, yet dripping out. So we could smell it....I think. It's a theory. Regulator will come off inspected. Likely replace.  Fuel pressure will be tested.

Good run overall though. Was fun. Always a good time. 

Edited by keithb7

WOT = wide open throttle. Previous owner added a fuel pressure regulator. It maintains a limit of fuel pressure. Say 4 lbs or so.

Looks like this one here. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-803

Edited by keithb7

5 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

WOT = wide open throttle. Previous owner added a fuel pressure regulator. It maintains a limit of fuel pressure. Say 4 lbs or so.

Looks like this one here. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-803

What a find! All in on prewar for you? We'll see a bit more in the next videos . 

You should say to your wife that the 53 is for kyle, the 37 your own, and the new 38 is just for her. Therefore, all three need to stay home.

Regarding the fuel pressure regulator, Does the car have an electric fuel pump too? Those npt brass bits seem to leak at the threads, and I've had bad luck getting the npt threads to seal  with teflon tape.

I had one on mine to prevent the carb from getting overwhelmed when both mechanical and electric are on. I was seeing issues with gas coming out of the carb when both were on.

I just run the mechanical these days anyway.

• Like 1

So tell us, what are the extra appointed features of the richman's Chrysler over the poorman's Plymouth?

Yep, you have run out of fuel in the carb on that first run up the hill.

2 minutes ago, ratbailey said:

Good lord, I'd give up a kidney for that car. Can I interest you in a trade? Congrats!

Thanks for your comments. I share the same sentiments. I’m humbled and awed that it’s actually mine. Very fortunate. What a doll she is. 

• Like 1

Here is the double action fuel pump/vacuum pump. Also seen is the 1-4 psi Holly pressure regulator.  I resealed the regulator cover. I used Permatex Motoseal 1. A very slim coat. This stuff won’t break down in gas or oil.

I don’t see or hear an electric fuel pump anywhere. Unsure the regulator is needed. However it's a tight fit to re and re to test fuel pressure psi without regulator. So I’ll reinstall all and test drive. 

9F31006C-BC26-4C79-9741-C07448886751.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

How I missed your thread yesterday I'll never know.  OMGosh!  Congrats on the purchase...that car is totally bad*ss!

I understand about having to give up the 53.  It's okay.  Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.  Someone awesome will come and buy it, you'll see. 

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on some detailed YouTube videos.  I am just completely awestruck with your car.  I'm sitting here staring at my phone and I just can't believe it.  You might have fun trying to find some original literature as well.

Congrats again!?

• Like 1

Keith,

Awesome car and great first ride story...  stress and all, I guess that is sometimes part of having fun with old cars.  

Sure hope you continue to make videos to share as you work on and enjoy your Chrysler!

Love the pictures you posted.

What a beauty! Somebody was the talk of the town back in '38, and now you get to be the talk of the town in '21. I've only owned one car with OD and it really was the cherry on the sundae. You'll have a ball in this car. And...thanks for the videos as they've already helped me with the work I'm doing on my recent acquisition. 

Someone implied that the ‘53 has been sold and I didn’t see it in the classifieds here so I guess I assumed that it was.

Keith, you probably already know this, but I was surprised to find that the Chrysler line in 1938 had no New Yorker, Saratoga, or Windsor lines.  It was just Royal, Imperial, and Custom Imperial.  They got the New Yorker and Saratoga in '39 and the Windsor, Highlander, and Traveler showed up in '40.  I got this information from the NADA guide online.  

I guess you're glad you kept your powder dry and waited for this one, instead of having a ten year project on your hands with the Airflow!  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Touché @MarcDeSoto you nailed it. I get to enjoy this one everyday that I drive it. I still have my Plymouth to wrench on and fix up. 

@Ulu my ‘53 Chrysler is for sale locally. Not sold yet. 

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. I had no idea so many of you watched my YT videos.  They will continue. I’ve been too busy to produce a video of my new acquisition. Been wrenching on it! Lol. Fuel leak is fixed. It was the pressure regulator. Pulled the hill in 3rd WOT tonight. No issues.  Dwell needs addressing, its at 20 deg. Will get more work done this weekend.  

Working for wages is my biggest problem with my new car! It takes me away from it too much.?

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

They sure knew how to draw appealing advertisements back then.

A Carter fuel pump?? Don't think it's correct. Should have glass bowel at lower chamber. Upper chamber is vacuum boost for wipers. Also a stud for heat shield.

Dwell 35°-38°