Well I did it again...1938 Chrysler Businessman Coupe

keithb7
Go to solution Solved by MarcDeSoto,

I filed and set the points at 38 degrees dwell. I set the timing. I found the problem, and also learned more about the fuel pressure regulator. 

Earlier I mentioned that my regulator adjustment bolt was leaking fuel. I resealed it. I know now that I was just applying a band aide. I figured out that If fuel leaks out the adjustment bolt, the diaphragm is leaking. Then adjusting the bolt will have no effect on system pressure. 

There’s so much to learn...

I bought a rebuild kit. I put in a new diaphragm and spring. No leaks and I got my fuel pressure down to 3.5-4 psi. It appears to me that the rubber was rotted. I suspect its a 90’s era regulator? Possibly a victim of ethanol? 

Test drive results so far are positive. I will get into the float and have a look there too, soon. 

Another note, there is no fine particulate fuel filter in the fuel system. I think I’ll add one. Metal housing type. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I'm retired 8 years!  Cursive writing is dead.  You won't see it again in this computerized, texting age.  They don't even sign their names in cursive anymore.  

They aren't pushing it like when I learned but my third grader is learning cursive right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Another note, there is no fine particulate fuel filter in the fuel system. I think I’ll add one. Metal housing type. 

If you mean the original filter, it's a sediment type. And it works. ;)

Edited by chrysler1941

How do you like the OD?  Can you cruise the freeway at 65 mph with comfort?  How comfortable is the driver's seat.  I know there is lots of head room.  What about leg and belly room under the steering wheel.  Is the seat adjustable?  

On 5/6/2021 at 7:20 AM, keithb7 said:

On 5/6/2021 at 7:20 AM, keithb7 said:

There’s so much to learn...

Possibly a victim of ethanol? 

I am so lucky in Omaha we have at least 20 stations that sell ethanol free gasoline.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

How do you like the OD?  Can you cruise the freeway at 65 mph with comfort?  How comfortable is the driver's seat.  I know there is lots of head room.  What about leg and belly room under the steering wheel.  Is the seat adjustable?  

I have only tried the OD one time for about 3-4 mins on a local stretch of hiway. I hit about 60 mph. The engine makes good torque at low RPM, so it feels nice and responsive at higher speeds with the OD. 

I'm 6'1" and fit nicely in the car. The seat is adjustable and I have it all the way back. Sitting in it, my body and seat position, if feels just like my 38 Plymouth. The seat is comfortable. Leg room feels good. I have no complaints about ergonomics. Mind you, I have not driven it on a long road trip. 

It's been another 50 hour work week. It really cuts in on car wrenching time. Every day I do a little more on the car. I have lots more work to do to get the car up to my expectations. By that I mean, tweaked, serviced, leaving few doubts in my mind. That will likely take a several more weeks yet.

So far I have been doing some repairs, then driving. Tuning and testing. I've had the car 8 days now so far I have:

Pulled front wheels, inspected brakes and bearings. Confirmed concentric. Minor adjustment made. Repacked wheel bearings. Removed battery, found cloth covering starting to erode and some cable oxidation. Covered the area of the cable to protect it from possible ground contact for now. Will make brand new cables soon. Filed points and set dwell. Set timing. Cleaned spark plugs, rotor and cap. Adjusted accelerator pump to middle position. Set idle A/F mixture screw. Pulled floor pans. Adjusted clutch. Topped up master cylinder. Greased pedal and clutch linkage. Tested fuel pressure. Removed and rebuilt fuel pressure regulator and set to 4.5 psi. Changed engine oil. Put in 10W30. Washed the car, scrubbed the whitewalls and put 120 miles on the car touring around town. Showed it off to a few friends. Documented a lot of my work on video. Edited and uploaded 3 You Tube videos to share with my subscribers. 

Not a bad week. But still much more to do. I literally put little to no time into anything else this week. Work, sleep, a little personal hygiene, eat, car... That's it. Life's good!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

I am so lucky in Omaha we have at least 20 stations that sell ethanol free gasoline.

Ethanol free gas is 5 mins from the house. It's 94 octane tho and not needed, but she likes it. Here today that fuel is about $4.65 USD per gallon.  Another option is to buy Marine grade fuel. It too is ethanol free. It's 92 octane and marked with dye. The reason is, it has no road tax applied to it. It's for boats!  A little cheaper than the 94 octane. However they won't let us pump it into our cars. It would have to be pumped into jerry cans and taken away. Then poured into to the car's gas tank at home. PITA really, to save a little money. They claim, if the mounties dip your car's fuel tank and see dyed fuel, you get a nice, not so little fine.  Not that that's a deterrent for me. I don't think any cop would dip the tank of a vintage car out cruising.

• Sad 1

A little dash candy for you. Just getting behind the wheel nets a big grin. Before you even excite the condenser. 

A31751A9-7285-4375-A576-F3FA1CE55B29.jpeg

• Like 9

Belly is not a big problem, but legs are. being 6'6" left knee is always cramped between steering wheel and driver door. ;) I'm so happy for my flipper cranks. 

Interesting to read about your non Ethanol availability. Here in Scandinavia we use another Octane rating 92, 95E, 98, 99. The E is for Ethanol.  Basically all of them are crap fuel for modern injected engines. 

The Chrysler has no problems with any of these, being fuel is cooled enough before it reaches carb. But my other non Mopar car needs 10-20% Kerosene mixed with fuel to lower octane and raise boiling point.  If no kerosene/diesel is mixed, electric fuel pump is needed to avoid vapor lock.

Stop corrosion on battery terminals with NCP-2 chemical pads. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-NCP-2-BATTERY-TERMINAL-PROTECTORS-corrosion-preventative-cable-ring-cleaner-/402103704237

Keith, you've worked over in 8 days what would take me 8 months lol. 

I thought I was subscribed to your YouTube channel, but somehow can't find it. Can you send me a link?

Here is the link to my YT Channel@Worden18 : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoBq2i7wl4w0W4JB6cAMjg/videos

Tomorrow I organized a car event. Mother's Day afternoon. I sent out word to all local car groups and owners. I hope to flood the downtown main core area with neat cars, all types and years. Just lots of cool vehicles people would enjoy seeing. No gathering, or formal meeting place due to covid. I've requested everyone just show up at 1pm and cruise the streets. I am hoping we can pack the place and cause a traffic jam. I know there is a 1922 Dodge coming. I'll have my 38 and 53 Chryslers out. My son will drive the 53. I'll be sure to take a few pics and share if we get a decent turnout. I think we will. Car people are really itching to get out and enjoy their cars. We're still under covid social restrictions and folks are fed up. The weather looks stellar. If this works, we may just organize another similar event on Father's day!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I am interested in some more info on my OD unit. I suspect its a Borg Warner model. What specific model would this ‘38 Chrysler have? It has a large knob, push/pull cable to cycle on and off. 

I see two drain plugs. 1 for the tranny housing and one for the OD housing. Yet I see only one fill hole at the tranny. Am I right in suspecting that these share the same oil?  I suspect maybe the two low points in each housing trap oil, so there are 2 drains?

I’m under the car going over everything this morning. It sits lower than my ‘53. I need to get my ‘38 Royal jacked up a little to fit under it. Not the ‘53. I can slide right under it no problem. 

A few tranny & OD pics. Green is fill port. Red are drain ports. A couple of different angles are shown.

Thx. Keith

6A28D396-8C11-41F4-B1D2-477CDDDA8284.jpeg

A690EB77-E3E5-4808-9A2E-F3631375E2A6.jpeg

D93D69ED-5E81-4D04-9544-43DE68F3BF2C.jpeg

Think it's an r7. Should be BW. Don't know if there is something you can glean from the linked thread but it is r7 discussion. The r7 freewheel under 30 just like the r10 so no compression braking under 30.   Sounds like the r7 was designed as a highway setup, engaged  primarily out 9n the open road where stop and go situations are minimal. 

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/355714-borg-warner-t86-r7-overdrive-problem/

1 hour ago, Hghspd50 said:

What a gorgeous car and I agree can't beat the style of these cars. I have a 53 Windsor that I live but my next car will be one of these fingers crossed. Your a lucky guy have fun with her. 

Thanks. I will enjoy it. I agree, lucky and very fortunate.

Cars .jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Hi Keith, that is a great find! Unobtanium over here so I can't be envious. You are obviously enjoying the process of debugging and road testing it, so much more productive than a total strip down project.

• Like 1