Well I did it again...1938 Chrysler Businessman Coupe

keithb7
Go to solution Solved by MarcDeSoto,

On 4/30/2021 at 1:57 AM, keithb7 said:

@Los_Control

"Deep down I prefer  the ‘35-38 styling and simplicity. The ‘53 was my gateway drug into old mopars. Now I’m an addict." A beautiful vehicle indeed! I share your sentiments.... First Mopar is a '67 Monaco, 12 (all '60/'70's Mopar) later a '35DU. If I realized how "majestic" the '30's cars were, I would have had more of them...recently added a '47 Plymouth SD. 

Ters.

1C929AAD-D589-4E3B-AF36-FC6B60F44760.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ulu said:

So if I wanted to buy it then I am simply SOL?

Sorry Ulu. Thanks fot your interest. I will send you a personal message on my 1953 Chrysler Windsor.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:00 AM, wagoneer said:

What a find! All in on prewar for you? We'll see a bit more in the next videos . 

You should say to your wife that the 53 is for kyle, the 37 your own, and the new 38 is just for her. Therefore, all three need to stay home.

Regarding the fuel pressure regulator, Does the car have an electric fuel pump too? Those npt brass bits seem to leak at the threads, and I've had bad luck getting the npt threads to seal  with teflon tape.

I had one on mine to prevent the carb from getting overwhelmed when both mechanical and electric are on. I was seeing issues with gas coming out of the carb when both were on.

I just run the mechanical these days anyway.

Teflon tape? No, use Rectorseal

Out cruising tonight. 

Today I pulled the front drums. Inspected brakes. Were perfect concentric. I tweaked the minor adjustment only. Just a tad. Front pads like new.  No leaks. Fluid clear. I repacked the wheel bearings. I discovered both front wheel hubs are clockwise to tighten. Modern normal. It threw me off. Expecting left side to be LH threads. I assume someone changed it up. Will get to rears soon. 

Set accelerator pump to middle setting. Re-installed RH splash pan. Man that is a pain. My wife helped. She was under the car. I was reaching down from above. 

I’m trying to locate some micro-wrenches so I can get at the points. I need 7/32. No luck yet. I’ll try more stores soon. I won’t touch timing or dwell until I have some. 

A pic, out for a cruise this evening. 

8F1FE636-8053-4FFE-AF70-4754041CD628.jpeg

• Like 3

https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDWOX-Combination-Assembling-Furniture-Equipment/dp/B07L2THNY7/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=7%2F32+wrench&qid=1619925567&sprefix=7%2F32+&sr=8-4

Some wrenches on Amazon.  I have prime... shipping free.

Anyway, car is looking good!  What a sassy classy 'ol gal!?

• Like 1

Well, I am SOL because there’s no way I’m going to import a car from Canada to California under the current climate.

I had my wife on edge a bit, as I have the money but I already have many toys/projects, so it was a relief to her.

She doesn’t understand that I would sell off other cars*, to be able to park a really nice Chrysler here.

*including hers.

• Haha 1

Nice looking car! Seems you really lucked out on finding it.

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I’m trying to locate some micro-wrenches so I can get at the points. I need 7/32. No luck yet. I’ll try more stores soon. I won’t touch timing or dwell until I have some.

I haven’t paid any attention in decades but you used to be able to get a set of thin wrenches specifically intended for working on the internals of a distributor. I have such a set in my took kit that I bought in the 1970s not long after I bought my '33 Plymouth. I think I got the set at Sears but it has been so long I am not sure.

Your comment led me to do some Internet searches to see if that type of wrench kit was still available. I was unable to find any.

But you might get lucky finding a vintage set somewhere. If desired, I can take a photo of my kit to aid in searches.

16 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I didn't know what SOL stood for so I had to Google it.  It's a sneaky way to cuss online "sh** outta luck".  I do know what SWAK means as I saw it used in a very old Martin and Lewis movie.  

Just as there are family friendly alternatives to FUBAR and SNAFU, there is a more family friendly version of SOL: “Short On Luck”. 

Having a ball going thru all the used parts today.  A literal adult treasure chest. 

Spot the difference? Top is USA built 38 Royal. Bottom is Canadian built 38 Royal. 

805084E2-9539-4871-AD6C-C38FE05811A1.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Having a ball going thru all the used parts today.  A literal adult treasure chest. 

Spot the difference? Top is USA built 38 Royal. Bottom is Canadian built 38 Royal. 

805084E2-9539-4871-AD6C-C38FE05811A1.jpeg

USA on the Y...?

Very cool!

1 hour ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Were the Canadian Chrysler's the same as the USA ones?  Or did they have a Plymouth chassis, like the Canadian Dodges?  

I am still learning. I have heard there are some slight intricate details as shown above here. I am also hearing about special window roller handles and escutcheons just for the Canadian model only. Spelled $$$! lol.

I've had a few suggestions to share the differences in the trim and options on my 38 Chrysler versus my 38 Plymouth. That would be a good video to make. I will indeed likely do that in future. Once my Plymouth is back on the road and running again.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:08 AM, chrysler1941 said:

Carter fuel pump?? Don't think it's correct. Should have glass bowel at lower chamber. Upper chamber is vacuum boost for wipers. Also a stud for heat shield.

I found this one in the spare parts stash. Looks like its the stock one? I suspect so.

IMG_8639.jpg

Check out these cool receipts to the original owner.  1959 the Royal got a new motor. Check out the price. $281 Canadian.

I love this cool old original stuff that came with the car!

IMG_8593.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Check out these cool receipts to the original owner.  1959 the Royal got a new motor. Check out the price. $281 Canadian.

I love this cool old original stuff that came with the car!

IMG_8593.jpg

Those are priceless.  I like seeing old receipts written in cursive.  ?

5 hours ago, tjlarson88 said:

Keith, I too really enjoy your videos and how they are conversational. You are helping all of us learn right along with you.

Thanks TJ. It's fun. I'll just keep it real and be myself. If natural, unscripted mistakes works for my viewers I'll just keep making more videos.  We all screw up. I try to  take it lightly and move on. 

I picked up new points and a condenser today. Off to grab micro-wrenches now. Found some!

• Solution

I  remember telling my students, 7th and 8th graders, that they would have to do a one page essay weekly in cursive hand writing.  There was a massive rebellion and I had to relent on that.  They truly can't write anymore except in slow as snails printing.  Keith, does the red badge on the cowl say DeSoto made in Toronto, Canada?