Well I did it again...1938 Chrysler Businessman Coupe

keithb7
Go to solution Solved by MarcDeSoto,

How many here could look the other way when this opportunity presented itself?

1938 Chrysler Royal. Restored right down to the single last bolt, 25 years ago. 7,000 more miles on the odometer today, since it was appraised in 1998. Came with all the candy. I have receipts as far back to the original owner in 1959, when he installed a new engine. Been sitting indoors for 25 years, barely used. Has a 265 ci 25" engine in it. Gobs of torque. 3 speed manual with OD. Factory options include cab heater, clock, AM radio. Everything works like new as it should. It is so tight, and drives like a brand new car.  He loaded up my 8 foot long truck box with spare parts too...Tons of spare parts! 

I left home at 4:15 am yesterday morning with a trailer.  4 hour drive each way. I was ready if the car was right, I'd  take it home. I did. This is a fine automobile and I am extremely happy to own it. Sad too, to see the fellow invest so much, to let it all go 25 years later. The seller was a gentleman. A professional auto dealer mechanic his whole career. What a pleasure to deal with. I feel very fortunate to take this car and make it mine. More to come on my YT channel.

My 1953 Chrysler is currently listed for sale locally. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 12.05.50 PM.png

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• keithb7 changed the title to Well I did it again...1938 Chrysler Businessman Coupe
28 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

But why..?.why call it a businessman coupe. it hurts........?

The correct lingo is new to me. What should I call it? I believe there are 2 coupe options. One has a back seat, the other does not. Mine does not. What is the proper moniker for my model?

14 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

The correct lingo is new to me. What should I call it? I believe there are 2 coupe options. One has a back seat, the other does not. Mine does not. What is the proper moniker for my model?

I presume your car is a C-18. With no back seat like mine it's a Royal Coupe.

I have 1940 color brochure with these terms.

They also had Windsor and Imperial Coupe.

With back seat the are Club Coupe.

Part list calls them 2CPE

By the way I have a PDF 226 pages 1937 Shop Manual  with over 20 pages only for special tools. You can have a copy if any interest.

2 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

By the way I have a PDF 226 pages 1937 Shop Manual  with over 20 pages only for special tools. You can have a copy if any interest.

Yes please! Any info is appreciated. Is it all email-able to me?

Mine is a C18. Made in Canada.

Edited by keithb7

5 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Yes please! Any info is appreciated. Is it all email-able to me?

Mine is a C18. Made in Canada.

No sorry. To big for emails and websites. But I can upload to any FTP or Dropbox. 

Also have 600 page 1936-41 Master part List and many more pre war stuff

Just now, keithb7 said:

@chrysler1941 Hmm. Not sure how to do that. Upload to google files and share? Allow me access? Then I can download it?

If you have google drive, you make specific folder and send me an invitation for upload.

Same goes for Dropbox. This way I don't have access to rest of the drive or pc.

If you look up explanation online, they can explain much better than my English. 

Keith, Glad to see the old Chrysler is going to an appreciative owner...Enjoy!!?

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Buy it and drive it.  

Oh I did, and I will drive it a lot!

Here she sits in her new home.  My garage. 

B7E0A6C8-D918-45B7-8956-0C699882C4AE.jpeg

• Like 4

Great replacement for the 53, we still want to see the 38 go back together on youtbe.

I personally think it is difficult to be a content creator on youtube.  A person able to show something, explain it & it all makes sense in the end.

I can imagine the hours into editing out the bloopers & non worthy sections to make something presentable.

Just saying, the new car is the cats meow.

I really love your other car, looking forward to the videos on the engine, future projects. Not many people can pull off the videos ... you can.

But, if you just decide to ride off in the sunset with some flashy paint car, I wont hold it against you  ;)

• Like 1

congrats on the new purchase!!.

Very, very nice!

Only sadness is that the beaut. of the later Chrysler must? be sold to accommodate this new purchase..

DJ

39 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Only sadness is that the beaut. of the later Chrysler must?

@Los_Control

I have two ‘38 year cars now so I cant call my Plym just “my 38”.  My Plymouth isn’t going anywhere.  I don’t have much YT content to share latey as I am still waiting on the block.  It’s my learning aide. I learn so much working on it.  I will carry on as planned and have it running again.  I’ve not lost interest. 

My ‘53 will go. I have a 2 bay garage. My Ply is going nowhere. So the ‘53 Chrysler has to go to offer up indoor, warm parking for my new coupe. 

Deep down I prefer  the ‘35-38 styling and simplicity. The ‘53 was my gateway drug into old mopars. Now I’m an addict. Its a great car too, but I had to choose.  This ‘38 Coupe is a heartbreaker. A dream car for me. I’m setting things just right on it here now. Adjusting the clutch. Choke. Idle mixture. Dwell. Timing. Carpet and floor pans are out. I’m in there right now, took a break to check in here.
i’m doing all The great stuff that I learned on my ‘53 and ‘38 Plymouth. Its been a fun ride so far. It will continue to be. 

There will be plenty more YT videos. I have a enjoyed making them. Very much. Teaching others subject matter forces me to learn more and seek a deeper understanding. Its a great motivator. I don’t edit videos much. I speak 95% on the fly, and screw up lots.  My vocabulary is not... Shall we say scholarly? Is that a word? Lol. 

Just a mild change here to keep things exciting. The candle burns strong here for old mopars. 

1C929AAD-D589-4E3B-AF36-FC6B60F44760.jpeg

• Like 8