1939 Plymouth 4 door Convertible project car one of only 387

desoto1939

A friend of mine runs an automotive parts and used parts company.  They recently acquired a 1939 Plymouth 4 door Convertible   Yes 4 door Convertible. They only made 387 of these cars so it is very rare.

It is a parts car that has most of the parts, engine, frame  body parts, doors 4 fenders convertible bows, etc. four fenders nose pieces.

I have posted pictures of the car. I do not know what they are asking for the car. The correct pin striping is still on the rims

Contact Jim Adamson   610-277-0400  at M&M Autoparts  Bridgepot PA.     mandmautoparts@aol.com

I do not get any money from the sale of the car. Just listing so that it can get to a good home.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p8.JPG

p9.jpg

p10.jpg

p11.jpg

p12.jpg

p13.jpg

p16.jpg

p17.jpg

• Like 1

Strange looking trans shifter. Not a normal 3 spd. column. Semi Auto?

Do you know what trans that has or had?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
add word

It is a 3 speed on the column.  The Plymouth  Roadkings had the shifter on the floor but the upper models had the shifter on the column just like the Chrysler, Desoto and dodges.

They both used the same trans either the three on the tree or the stick on the floor.

Rich

1 hour ago, Marcel Backs said:

This is a car you would normally rod with a 392 hemi or something of the like. BUT not this one! It deserves to go back to it’s former stock glory despite the crazy hours of work it requires. Nothing less would do it justice. What potential! M

Marcel: i totally agree with your comment about going back to original not many 1 of 387 cars produced of this low production are onthe road or even found.  This is why i posted the pictures. It will take some deep pockets but someone that has the time and money might bring it back to life. I have enought trouble with my 39 DeSoto just to keep that on the road and I am not ready for a new project of this type. At the age of 70 time is not on my side. Want to jump in the car and go not rebuild from the ground up.

Rich HArtung

3 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Strange looking trans shifter. Not a normal 3 spd. column. Semi Auto?

Do you know what trans that has or had?

DJ

Plymouth being the value brand never had a semi auto until hy drive in 53. The shifter is the first version of column shift and uses a cable rather than linkage

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Plymouth being the value brand never had a semi auto until hy drive in 53. The shifter is the first version of column shift and uses a cable rather than linkage

I have the same shifter installed in my 39 Desoto and yes they used  a cable and these cables are very hard to find and even slide in the housing.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

If  I had the space, would be tempting to get a price.  Looks like it is mostly there, with a lot of surface rust.  The frames of the 39 convertibles were unique, with a second frame bolted on top of the main frame under the passenger area.