10th Annual International Work On Your Truck Day!!!

#BER TEN!!!!! NUMBER 10!!!!!  Freakin' #10 IWOYTD!!!

This year it will be on MAY 15th

The Five Rules:

1.  Work on your truck. Not Brent's, but yours...unless you are Brent, then work on your truck buddy. Its not done. you need at least a 10 footer burnout. 

2.  Report what you did to the Forum, not the girl at the post office, she doesn't care, she's just trying to get the junk mail sent out.

3.  Post a picture of what you did. Its all good, sitting in it counts.....but at least hold a hammer or something.

4.  Explain how you got the truck, what inspires you about it.

5.  Try to share the days experience as soon as you can!!!

Sharing is caring!!!.....Believe it or not, your story could inspire one of us to get back to it! Your story could help build another truck!!!

Good luck!!!! PLAN FOR THE DAY!!!

48D 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've spent several previous IWOYTDs doing chores, this year I decided to be more proactive and get some work done in the evenings in case I got swamped with chores again...yep, we've got weather moving in so I gotta do blahblahblah on IWOYTD again...

sm20210514_214019.jpg.ea214b4e3ea8430d18e7377302741460.jpg

This year I opted to remove the electric wiper motor et al from the '48 B-1-D-116 parts truck to refurbish and install it in the '49 B-1-D-126.  The '49 originally had a vac.motor, but I had a '53 parts truck with electric wipers and somehow made that work back in '05...something that I need to figure out how I did and document for future reference, because I vaguely remember that it took some finagling to get the wiper sweep to work out right.  I took many pictures disassembling the crusty '48 wiper motor, cleaned it all up, inspected the innards, then started putting it all together when I realized how important it was to scribe an indexing mark on each crank, cuz I did not do that simple step and it took waaaaay too long to get things back to what they looked like in the pictures.  I ended up pulling the wiper motor out of the '48 B-1-B-108 to compare and eventually refurbish that, and what I found partially explains why that truck's wipers seemed out of synch.  I then went into my stash and found the electric wiper setup I liberated from the '48 B-1-D-126, but it appears to have been shut down in mid sweep, so I'll have to look into that one further to see how it is indexed.  Of the 4 spare B-3 / B-4 wiper motors I have, none are indexed the same, one has longer crank arms, and another appears to have stripped gears.  So now I'm thinking I need to pull the electric wiper motors from the '51 B-3-D-126 and the '53 B-4-B-116 to see how they were set up.

While trying to refurb the electric motor, I realized that my Radio Shack and Bernzomatic soldering irons had bit the dust.  Found a replacement Weller soldering iron, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet, maybe in a few days when I get caught up on springtime chores.  So what started out as a simple electric wiper motor refurb is now shaping up to be another reverse engineering project on two varieties of electric wiper motors that I was eventually going to get around to doing...and I'm not complaining one bit, cuz any time working on the old trucks is a good time indeed ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a guy out of his truck parts and have been moving said parts all week. He's a forum member so I'll keep to myself about his story, but I'm just glad he called me so I can keep doing my part to keep the interest in old Dodge Trucks alive! I'm on my way to pick up the last few things including two L-6 engines. GOOD LUCK ? EVERYONE!!!

48D

• Like 2

Well lets just hope I keep the momentum, off to a good start....the objective today is to sandblast the drip rail both top and bottom and the bit of pocked rust on the upper panels near the bottom of the drip rail, etch them and then have them in primer by evening.  Have few small holes to repair with weld I uncovered the other night....this should not take but a few minutes to correct.

1968 panel van box....

IMG_4184.JPG

• Like 1

I worked hard to get my chores done to free up the day.  Now am too pooped to work on the truck  :D

Will get something done ... my goal is to mount the splash pans so I can install the fenders. Which means installing the new battery tray I made, then remove & paint that area.

Will be blocked or hard to get at with lower pans installed.

I did pour concrete and bought a creeper so can scoot around under there and do this work ... first I have to start & move the truck from carport so can sweep away the winters dirt so the creeper will roll.

Ok I got it turned around and concrete swept ... :) now for jack stands.

• Like 1

I had to work OT yesterday and today which definitely limited what I had time (and energy) to work on, but I did manage to get a few things done.

Anyway, I got the radiator drain petcock installed, new replacement cab mounts installed and the little retainer bracket that supports the temp gauge tube, throttle and choke cables.

Brad

• Like 1

I made my objective today with a bit of extra accomplished on this and the other little car I am tinkering with.  It was good to get some work accomplished for sure.  Getting this roof knocked out would be a major milestone for sure.  Working toward that....

as an point of reference...this is what it looked like when I got it.....the inside is also ready for a coat of primer....rust removed and blocked down with paper....

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

Well, worked on my truck today ?

cut my rotten cedar deck into fire wood 

4126C27D-CD4C-4E85-B9D9-34AF8D7BC144.jpeg.f52685a6a22560dff1a670b8492ed6ac.jpeg

then, I straighten some  bent t-posts

776C88A2-AB73-4143-9BA0-46CA32BC33C5.jpeg.30b253bf9df8176c08838c96fb2d0085.jpeg63C60739-7F05-49C1-AD0F-B589CC4D12F3.jpeg.ca99562b19eb4fd4554533c02c98c68e.jpeg

Hopefully my truck membership won’t be revoked..... it wasn’t quite what I planned on doing, but it needed to be done ?

• Like 4

Got my 50 b2b months ago (see other thread) and haven’t had a chance to work on it properly until today.

1. First objective: fix the shift linkage and shifter orientation to be correct

complete

2. I was inspired then to install my carburetor 

check

3. A visit from an old mechanic friend to talk about paint also inspired me to Go the extra mile - I was very close to turning over the truck, I just needed to wire the truck up , connect all the lines, and put some oil into the block

Check

4. I hooked up a battery, hot wired my ignition switch (no key and the stupid ones they sold me are not oem  style for 50)

stomp on the starter .... crickets , nothing.

Doh! Silly starter switch button doesn’t compress... no joy tonight but maybe tomorrow after a good soaking in penetrating oil.

Overall:

A grand day working one on My truck . She’ll be running again very soon!

Happy international work on your truck day to you!

• Like 3

I cleaned out the bed of the 46 after using it to haul 3 bed fulls of wood chips last weekend. Looks like after about 20years the urethane might be in need of a touch up.

Later on I harvested a set of tailgate chains off some other bedsides to use on the 47. Also hung a 50s Jeep grill on the shop wall! 

• Like 2

All I did with the Ol’ Dodge was set things on it while I was tinkering on other things. I mostly worked on installing a voltage inverter in my work truck, between rain showers as I was working in the driveway. Also, we had grandkids here yesterday that occupied my time.

• Like 1

Wow I didn't even know yesterday was work on my truck day and I did anyway! must have been a shift in the air! Anyway I put the battery in, ran out of carbcleaner, vacuumed up the broken glass, (and other 20+ years of dust and such from being in storage) took the access panel off, and decided to ask for advice before f'ing something up on how to get the remnants of the passenger window out.

• Like 1

.  I spent the day at work and came home to a driveway full of visitors.  Best I could do was take a glance at the front fender I've been working on.

• Like 1

What I got done was very minimal. My heart was in the right place. Just saying with my strange  disability I can do everything, just really slowly.

I painted the garden shed on Thursday ... was a long day I rested Friday to prepare for Saturday ... exactly what I got done Saturday. I started it, drove it out of the carport it was backed into. Then drove it in and put on jack stands. Then I actually rolled around under it. I made choices.

I am sorry, those 3 ton jack stands scare me ... going to tractor supply next week, picking up some 6 ton.

I seen & saw  ... I need to pull the battery mounting brackets ... while only surface rust , just need to get a grip on it. There is no question I need to pull the running boards now.

I really thought at this stage could put front end back together ... Then pull the running boards & bed.  I was wrong.    It is a project.  I will get it eventually

My only goal is to drive it for the next 25 years I will be dead by then & not care.

If we are going to be safe, lets not do stupid things. This is what I did while I was tired.

0516211612.jpg

• Like 3

Started out the weekend thinking I would be painting both running boards by Sunday. After spending all day Saturday on the drivers side just getting holes welded, standoffs repaired/fabricated/threads chased/ broken bolts removed, I realized that I would probably not make my goal.

All standoffs are now repaired or fabricated new on both running boards. Will send a picture once they are on the truck.

image.png.93a8d0eee9627a4b1ac3cc63a5dbabc6.png

• Like 2

So i ended up with an unfinished job on my hoist, and about 5 hours work to get it out of my way. So its done and i was pooped. So sunday i was goung to give it a go,but other plans took over. Buddy’s 1969 chevy longbox still needs work on the wiring. I need to get some time in on his truck as hes my helper for working on the Fargo. Think this was late saturday when i drove it into shop. Picture flipped,but you get the idea. 
thats a vortec going in with a/c and cruise. 
i was working on getting cluster lit up and datalink to communicate again. 

BB0FB15E-CC2B-4D30-8A90-B8DC20C5BBEC.jpeg

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the running boards installed this weekend and as promised, a picture. I forgot how much these boards tie everything together, stylistically and mechanically. Also was finally able to get the driver side fender properly aligned. Happy to be able to stand on those boards again, we have a lot of history.

rboards.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 10:20 PM, Tooljunkie said:

So i ended up with an unfinished job on my hoist, and about 5 hours work to get it out of my way. So its done and i was pooped. So sunday i was goung to give it a go,but other plans took over. Buddy’s 1969 chevy longbox still needs work on the wiring. I need to get some time in on his truck as hes my helper for working on the Fargo. Think this was late saturday when i drove it into shop. Picture flipped,but you get the idea. 
thats a vortec going in with a/c and cruise. 
i was working on getting cluster lit up and datalink to communicate again. 

BB0FB15E-CC2B-4D30-8A90-B8DC20C5BBEC.jpeg

12-volt wiring seems always like a rat's nest of wiring?! A huge mess always. Honestly seems confusing to me. The wiring in our original cars was very simple to follow. 

5 hours ago, dcotant said:

Got the running boards installed this weekend and as promised, a picture.

I love it, looks a lot better then mine ... But you can see mine is heading to the same paint scheme.  Maybe someday I get the outside painted, but am painting everything underneath so it is protected ... I put 1 fender on today, next tomorrow, then inner fenders & radiator, hood. Might take a week or so.

Sadly my goal now is to get the parts back together then move it out of the work area.

My wife car needs some serious work, my daily driver needs maintenance. While I like playing with this old hound dog, I have to be a adult & work on them ... I assume will take rest of summer at my pace. Maybe next IWOYTD I will get to do more.

0607211431.jpg

0607211424.jpg

Dump the flathead ford v-8 block as they are worth to many  $$$ then pay someone to fix your drivers and get back to the truck?  ?

DJ