Pictures from spring carlise

desoto1939

I attended the spring carlise event  this past Thursday.  I arrived around 7:30 Am. I was surprised that at the main gate they were not requiring that the people wear any face mask protection.  I would state that approx 99% of the attendees were not wearing any mask protection.  I stil continued to wear mine even thought I have had both of my vaccinations.

This year did have a major amount of venders but sad to say no specific early Mopar vendors such as ed Spiegel from Pittsburg Pa.  I did find some non specific mopar parts. Lots of Chineese tool vendors, junk stuff more 1960 and up car parts. Very little prewar and early post was mopar parts.

I was cold early inthe morning around 36 degrees and then about 9 Am we were all surprised by a major snow storm that came in with squaw and major snow flakes. It snoed for about 1 hour and then stopped and the sun came out but it was real windy for the rest of the day.

MY Battery tender stopped working the other day and found a gentleman that had creted a pulse battery charger. This owner also presented at last years AACA general Membership and lecture convention here in Philadelphia.  I purchased one of his units for $59 and it was attached to my car after i got home.  You can see the voltage that it is charging.

The battery Tender people would not replace the unit that went bad and this was the second unit that had an issue. So i gaveup on their product.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

• Like 2

Rich,what is a "pulse battery charger"?

How does it work?

Never heard of such a thing before. Are you happy with it?

35 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Rich,what is a "pulse battery charger"?

How does it work?

Never heard of such a thing before. Are you happy with it?

The Military developed a pulse battery charger for all of their heavy trucks and equipment.  So basically what happens the battery charges is chraging your battery dah thats to be expected.  But the chrager is designed to send a pulse down the two connections to pulse the battery. This shacks loose the build up of the deposits on the metal cells.  This is done to lessen the buildup of the deposits to keep the battery charged. longer and to extend the life of the battery. So the chager bassically shocks the entire battery to keep it clean.

I will post some pictures and some information on the unit I purchased.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Well I drove down Friday evening from Massachusetts and stayed at the Fairfield inn. Got myself at beer and burger at the Red Robin and hit the sack early. Saturday morning I was on the field at 6:50, prepaid for admission and parking $30 which I didn’t think was too bad. Brought my two wheeler as well as a back pack but set out for my field tour with just the back pack. I walked 16,400 steps up and covered the entire field. My observations being that this was my first visit:

- firstly, too many harbor freight style vendors on the field. Honestly, how many sanding pads, and vice grips are really sold at these shows. The set up and tear down time for some of those guys has to take a week.

- old cars swap meets are not the place for grannies to sell crocheted toaster covers.

- why would you bring yard sale crap to an old car swap meet?

- a word about prices... most of what seemed worth looking at was way over inflated and I blame this on American pickers. An old North Carolina folding road map caught my eye, the seller would not budge from his $20 asking price. I moved on and I bet he went home with his map.
- all was not awful though, there was lots of old iron. Lots of old parts, and a large variety.

- many of the cars for sale where decent and well kept. But I wasn’t really looking to buy despite having some small expectation of coming away with a deal.

- complete lack of masks anywhere. I also wore mine with maybe 5% others in the crowd.

- the pretzel I bought for $5 was well worth it. 
- sorry I didn’t get to see you Rich. 

I’ll probably go again...

cheers,

mark

• Like 4

Mark ?  I have been going to both carlise and Hershey for the past 30+ years.  Ihave seen a real chnage especially in the carlise swap meet.  Yes i agree sell lawn ornaments and home items is not correct. They state that 80% of the items that you are selling must be auto related.  Up on the top of the hill in the back row there was a vendor sell deer antlers and that is all he was selling, then there was another person just selling lawn ornaments, go figure.

Ye how many disk sanding pads can be sold. seems as if everyone is selling the same items. I remember when the toy model cars were the big item and the Hes trucks and Texeco trucks, have seen less of these being sold.

I takes more time to find quality parts and you have to really look at each vendor becasue they do not even know what they have. There do not specialize, some do but alot just have parts and have no idea what they fit.

Mark if you come down for Hershey inthe fall let me know and I will let you know my site location.  Even Hershey is changing. The 50's and back parts are getting harder to find but at least you have a better concentration of older parts and less junk.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

Glad to see you made it to Spring Carlisle and give an update. My brothers and I have had several spots at the Mopars at Carlisle for 25 years or so since it’s inception. I hate to drop bad news on anyone but, this event is primarily for muscle cars. There are almost “NO” flathead era items or vehicles at this show. It is a total amazement of 340,413, 426, 440 well done Mopar cars in all categories if you have any interest. There is usually a few 354,392 hemi cars and a couple of flatheads in the mix but I want to say about 1% max, there will be more late model cars. Unfortunately, there are more and more “junk” flee market type vendors each year.

• Like 1

47 Dodge:  Yes you are correct about Chryslers at carlise.  This is primarily a muscle car show and swap meet.  Not many flathead parts and or cars.  So if you have a long distance to travel to get to Chryslers at carlise then consider the above post and also mine.  I have gone several times and i see the interest inthe older cars basically being dead.

Hershey is a better place to save your vacation time and travel time.

I live approx 2.5 hour drive to carlise and about 1.5 hr drive to Hershey.

Rich Hartung

I look forward to a trip to Hershey someday.  Seems to be the mecca for vintage Mopar lovers. Once this covid crap is dealt with I will go.  Maybe 2022. Fingers crossed. 

What other great events should us Mopar fanatics put on our bucket lists?  Too few stock Mopars to be found in my parts.  I shall buck the trends and do my part to keep the legacy alive. 

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

I look forward to a trip to Hershey someday.  Seems to be the mecca for vintage Mopar lovers. Once this covid crap is dealt with I will go.  Maybe 2022. Fingers crossed. 

What other great events should us Mopar fanatics put on our bucket lists?  Too few stock Mopars to be found in my parts.  I shall buck the trends and do my part to keep the legacy alive. 

I have been attending Hershey for 34 years. Attended with my father-inlaw and all of his great friends. We did sell parts and had three spots at Hershey.  Los of great memories. Learned alot from his friends that knew the older cars and how to look for parts.

One secret is to keep your money separated in your pocket.  So if you are trying to get a part and the seller is asking $40 for the part you do not pull out a $50 dollar bill and then ask if he will take 30-35 dollars.  He knows that you have the extra money.  Pull out  a 20 and a 10 to show him the money in your hand but have the 5 in a pocket so you can then try to get it for 35 if he counter offers.

Rich Hartung

• Like 2

One secret is to keep your money separated in your pocket.  So if you are trying to get a part and the seller is asking $40 for the part you do not pull out a $50 dollar bill and then ask if he will take 30-35 dollars.  He knows that you have the extra money.  Pull out  a 20 and a 10 to show him the money in your hand but have the 5 in a pocket so you can then try to get it for 35 if he counter offers.

YIKES!!!

The gig is up!

Time to install zippers on your pockets!

Another thing I learned from getting burned at a swap meet is...If you see something you’d like, buy it. Now. Don’t plan to come back and get it later. Just incase you might find better one at a future seller’s table. Just buy it now. Odds are if you don’t buy it, it’ll be gone when you come pack to buy it later. Then you’ll be mad at yourself. 

I’ve lost a couple of good finds. Being an idiot. Putting the item back down. Thinking, there will likely be a better deal coming up later today. Nope. Go back,  its gone.

Then later you see the new owner at the swap meet, carrying the very item that you passed up....Talk about salt in the wound. Sometimes life’s harder when you’re dumb. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Another thing I learned from getting burned at a swap meet is...If you see something you’d like, buy it. Now. Don’t plan to come back and get it later. Just incase you might find better one at a future seller’s table. Just buy it now. Odds are if you don’t buy it, it’ll be gone when you come pack to buy it later. Then you’ll be mad at yourself. 

I’ve lost a couple of good finds. Being an idiot. Putting the item back down. Thinking, there will likely be a better deal coming up later today. Nope. Go back,  its gone.

Then later you see the new owner at the swap meet, carrying the very item that you passed up....Talk about salt in the wound. Sometimes life’s harder when you’re dumb. 

Life is ALWAYS harder when you are dumb.

Or at least that is what I have been told. Wooden no nutting about hit persunaly.

Tryid to use it ta cast a spel on my ex,and cudin even git that ta wurk!

Edited by knuckleharley