Paint stripper....

Plymouthy Adams

Thursday I bought a gallon paint stripper to prep the van box with.  I used it Thursday and Friday...no problems, worked quick and easily removed the paint.  Today, results is a bit varying.  I have to use two coats to strip the paint as with this rainy day...the product seems to dry quickly whereas before on a nice sunny day it stayed wet.  Strange stuff, I apply one more light coat to clean the panel of all residue.  Now the killer, the panel is flash rusting immediately.  Now of course it is raining today but I am inside.  I have to do an immediate wipe with phosphoric to check the flash rust.  The days before were still quite humid and would have expected a bit of flash then.   Am thinking to finish this side and let the big dog sleep till the rain passes.  Anyone else ever see immediate flashing of the panel with rust.  This is Jasco stripper, seems all the stripper product formula have been changed of late and this one is actually a water clean up solvent.  Soon as it hits water it jels and balls right up.  I bought Jasco as my other normal brand was not available in a jelly like semi paste that would stick to vertical surfaces.  

• Like 1

its official...stripped the remain panel with a razor blade to bare metal...not a sign of flashing anywhere.....the stripper is the root cause for the flashing.  Anywhere you wiped the panel and had a bare sign of stripper residue, flash rust.......this is good stuff....but definitely your fair weather friend....I would place it in the category along with other hydroscopic products.

I read your other post...you got plenty to do without thinking of stripping paint.   I got the box finished stripping with the razor blade and will take the light primer off with the stripper when the weather is on my side.  About 30 sq feet stripped by the blade, tad over 40 I would guess all in all...not bad for an afternoon or so...

The brand we used in the Navy was nicknamed infant feces and nothing could stand in its way........probably about ten different kinds of illegal in this day and age.....I remember stripping six different layers of imron off of a static display plane with it, all it did was shrug it’s shoulders and get to work finishing the job in short order.

the liability of todays products rest on the shoulder of the maker as it seems the common man is no long accountable for anything including stupidity.  This results in products no longer capable of doing the job down to where it takes many applications and such to do the job.  Got to protect the man who choses not to protect himself.   The move to remove solvents and other chemicals has made a steady change in most all OTC solvents, strippers and the like rendering many so tame they useless.  Many areas one can no longer get chems to work with and often comes with a signature for accountability.

• Like 2

If you want paint stripper to work really fast, before you put it on heat up the back of the fender with a torch and get it nice and warm.

But not too much, because if that stuff catches on fire it makes poisonous fumes. Ask me how I know this.

As for the flash rush, yes you get flash rust immediately after you remove the stripper If the temperature is correct, so the first thing you have to do is oil the panel.

• 2 weeks later...

You might not want to oil the panel if it comes out lovely & you are able to paint it right away; but usually there’s more stripping to do, because paint doesn’t all come off the first time. You always have to fuss with the hems, edges and corners etc.

And it doesn’t take off any existing rust so you must do that before you prime.

The oil will come off because there’s always a lot of decontamination to do after the stripper is done. In the meantime things are going to rust so you have to put something on it and oil is cheap. If temporary.

After the stripper you’ve got to do a full degreasing and phosphate etch before prime.  MEK or acetone followed by Jasco metal prep was what I normally would use, But self etching primers are nice too.

oil is cheap there is little doubt.  as for putting it on a panel, absolutely no way I will wipe the added contaminants of oil when phosphoric acid can be applied and leaves behind a phosphate finish that provides protective finish and rust preventative properties, but then this is a process I have used for some 35+ years and very comfortable with it and pleased with the long term results.  Just don't recall the instant flash rust with previous version of the stripper, again, could not get my usual stripper locally.   

the whole gist of this thread was to inform folks that IF using the modern strippers in high humidity conditions this flash rusting will appear before their very eyes...whereas in low humidity there is no flashing of rust for a long period of time, allowing most the opportunity to wipe the panel and apply protection and not have to stop every three minutes to treat rust forming.  

if you chose to use oil that is fine I supposed but this is adding contaminates where not needed in my opinion.  Yes the oil will wipe off and when done so...there is no protection left on the panel.  My panel are still bare with the exception they has been wiped with phosphoric acid and left to dry...as an added, the panels are still clean and not rusted.   I continue some panel work and soon to have some primer in place.  Just a few more steps in my normal process to complete first.  

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

oon be we will all have to get a nice smooth roller and latex paint for our cars....☠️

Is correct I fear.  I say this because my Brother retired and built himself one of those  fake log cabins in the woods. A real house but it has the 1/2 sawn logs for siding.

During the covid  they stopped working on it. He lives South of Seattle.

The deal was using Sikkens with cetolD  to protect the raw wood ... They were 1/2 way done and today the product is not available?

They finished the job with something different.

Today the product is not even available in Washington.  Just saying it is not just car paint, but oils for wood also.

Many products are like that these days especially in Calif. Available in some states-not others.

The work around here is to get someone in one of the states where the product is still available or ship-able to/  to ship it to their address and arrange for your pickup or forward shipping to where you live.

My nephew in Las Vegas ( Lost wages) is willing to help me if needed! Many things like paint products are still available there- Most are Not the water based stuff we are now stuck with here.

Maybe a work around for your brother??  Out of state contacts??

PS. do not let Ca. officials know my thoughts as I have never-never used this -Uh, what??

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Add -never used work around!