Antique truck insurance

Go to solution Solved by Jim Roach,

I have Statefarm and was able to add mine and get their "antique" rate. As far as towing coverage, that may depend on your state--the insurance of the tower should cover the trailer and contents. The towee vehicle should be covered by it's own insurance.

I’m an Erie agent and they now offer agreed value coverage for antique and classic cars. I also sell classic car insurance through American Modern Insurance. I have had some claims experence with them and they were great. No hassles and no deductibles for either collision or comprehensive. One of the disadvantages to American Modern is the no towing restrictions. They also require that the vehicle must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage. Erie insurance does not have these restrictions. Hagerty, American Modern and Erie have very similar rates. You have to consider everything and not just look at the premium. The lowest premium is not always the best policy. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t care about the premium if it is within reason. I have a 47 1.5 ton truck that I would like to use for light use. It’s no junker and I have a few bucks in it. I have been asked to haul apples for a few “apple fest”, local church, wedding pictures, etc... more for a display while making apple butter. I have a small hobby farm and may move some hay or equipment in tow between farms once in awhile as I have several other trucks. Trips here or there to TSC, Lowe’s, etc. I do not drive it far from the house. I currently have Erie and have never made a claim. What do you have available? My agent set this policy up through American Collectors. Their agent called and wanted to keep me but would not change the language allowing to haul or tow with my light duty truck.   I wanted to add— truck is stored in locked garage. Thank you, Kevin 

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

I, too, have Hagerty for my truck, and a couple of other "old" cars. I had Erie in Western Pennsylvania when I lived there, but Erie isn't offered in Wilmington, NC, where I am now. I can vouch for the claims process for Hagerty, as a hurricane destroyed my '56 Ford. No hassles with the claim at all. When my '51 Dodge pickup needed towed, no problems and no charge. ?

The issue with collector insurance:  Make absolutely sure that your insurance states in writing "agreed value".  Otherwise the inevitable hassle regarding what you think the value of the vehicle is and what the insurance company thinks.  All I've dealt with say it's not a big deal and that they will work with you, etc.  Make sure it is stated in writing in your policy.

My insurance company specifically says something about no commercial uses i.e,  Uber so I'm thinking they all would balk at hauling with a truck.  

17 hours ago, Jim Roach said:

I’m an Erie agent and they now offer agreed value coverage for antique and classic cars. I also sell classic car insurance through American Modern Insurance. I have had some claims experence with them and they were great. No hassles and no deductibles for either collision or comprehensive. One of the disadvantages to American Modern is the no towing restrictions. They also require that the vehicle must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage. Erie insurance does not have these restrictions. Hagerty, American Modern and Erie have very similar rates. You have to consider everything and not just look at the premium. The lowest premium is not always the best policy. 

Maybe as an agent you can shed some light on the terms and real meaning.  I see 'agreed value', garuanteed value, and stated value used by various companies.

Are these industry standard terms and mean the same to every company?  If not what should be look for?

• Like 1

Ok, a little out of competition, I live in Germany.

So maybe at least a little entertaining ;-)

When I was looking for an insurance for my `39 Plymouth Truck in 2014, I first asked the insurance company of my daily car and motorcycles (get quantity discount).

Offer for annual insurance: Something between 900 and 1000 € (roughly 1100 - 1200 $) - yiiikes ..

But: That company is not set up on classics.

2nd: Looking for insurance companies, that are set up on classics: Half the costs. But 500 was still ... hmmm.

Asked guys who were driving around with classic cars. Especially US classics. Told me to got to xxxxx -> An insurance I never ever would have asked, because really premium expensive priced.

Got in touch with the xxxxx-insurance agent (had to show pictures and detail info). She like my truck very much and gave the best to make an attractive offer: "... is 94 € o.k .. ?" I: "per month .. quarter year ...? She "per year"  ... I: "okeey, not too bad"... 2 days later she called me at work and told me to come to the office asap. Issue: They cannot offer an insurance, because the don`t have an Classic + Truck category , just classic or truck .. Sh..t. ..

I went to the office one day later. She smiled when I entered the office " Our Insurance Central yesterday decided to create a Classic Truck category ". (Me: Yesss !) "But different conditions !" ... Is 86 € o.k. ?"
I pay 86 €*  (104 $) per year since then, is a really renowned insurance company. I never complained ?

* They assume that you love your car, truck, classic and you are cautious in use. Conclusion, there´s seldom an issue.

I have 2 vehicles car and pickup covered through American Collectors Insurance.  They are agreed value 8k for the truck and 14k for the car. The coverage includes road side service towing to shop or home, hotel reimbursement if needed,, the mileage  is 5k per year each.  Ihad the car covered first so the truck was an add on.  The car is 120 used and adding the truck was 80 or 90.

The issue becomes the size, I have a 1.5 ton truck because a pickup was a little on the small side for my intent. I want to be able and use the truck for truck actives at shows( small antique tractor on the tail for example which I also collect). I have newer trucks that I could use but would like the novelty once in awhile. This truck is also worth more than 10k to me so I’d like that coverage as well. I keep this one in, the work trucks sit out, this will most likely never go on any long road trips( that’s what the 2020 Ram is for). I may even tote an old pc of equipment to a show here and there. I just need something that works, does not require all the DOT requirements extend... , but have coverage if needed.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Jim Roach said:

Ok, contacted my Erie agent today inquiring about changes available. She looked at some pictures and said Erie will not allow flatbed trucks on a personal policy?  Is there a trick word I’m supposed to know? She did say they would get back but the antique policy was designed for cars to her knowledge. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you, Kevin 

I don't know the answer to your problem - but it does make me want to ask some questions of my insurance agent about a similar situation because I am considering dropping my 1.5T Pilothouse cab down onto a modern chassis with a flatbed for use similar to what you describe. I might as well start asking those questions to see what answers I get before embarking on such a project.

I have Auto Owners insurance. I have been through this with them regarding my B3B and towing, and my agent told me I am covered using it to tow. I have it in emails, so I would think that I'm safe. I used my 1/2 ton every year to tow with. I have a farm policy so I could have coverage for my antique tractor, and it equated to roughly $50 a year more than a standard homeowners policy. You might be able to insure the truck with a farm policy, but I'm not sure. I need to figure it out when I'm ready to get my 52 2.5 ton cabover on the road someday.  

• Solution

Kevin, your Erie agent is correct. I should have been a little more clear. Erie’s antique vehicle coverage will only cover vehicles that are eligable on their standard auto policy. Flat beds and larger trucks are not eligable on a standard policy. They have to go on a commerical policy. Cars and pick up trucks are not a problem. I hope that helps. 

Jim, Thanks for the clarification on the Erie policy. I’m still looking for options if anyone has something that works. I do have a commercial policy for the other trucks so that is an option as well. You know I have to say this truck was considered a pickup when sold in Dodge’s old books. Must have got a little bigger over the years!