Carb Gasket

Doug&Deb

Both my 52 Coronet and the 49 D24 I used to have had the problem of the carb loosening. I’m wondering if the gasket is somehow shrinking as it gets hot. I use blue loctite. It’s not loosening much just enough to need a quarter turn to tighten. I’m thinking of making a gasket from some high temperature gasket material I have. It’s what I have under the sisson choke. Any thoughts?

Well I never had a problem with the carb nuts becoming loose but did have to retighten the manifold nuts several times after changing the gasket. Eventually they stayed tight. Engines do vibrate and heat up and then of course cool down. Since things tend to expand as they heat up it might be that the heating and cooling cycle is doing it. I began tightening mine up when warm. Maybe that would help. How often do you have to tighten it? 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1