Getting Organized

billrigsby

This has been long long overdue, been messing with this mish-mash of storage containers

20210414_191417.jpg.b5c4eec6bea1c36ba71c0549e2c48484.jpg

Broken, missing drawers, have to open and close drawer after drawer to find anything

unless it is used often and you remember where it was.

Ordered five of the Acro-Mills 64 Drawer cabinets, made of soft unbreakable plastic and actually made in America

20210414_191509.jpg.6c103d746d3aa5602a6c613adf3ada1e.jpg

What a difference, got everything transferred over, just looks so much nicer.

20210422_143501_1600x1200.jpg.e70a18f9ca18bbf474a6410e1face334.jpg

and made a cheat sheet (with photos) so it is easy to find anything,

have a printed hard copy, a copy on my phone and one on the shop computer also

sb.PNG.41e6627b8476eb1e99d431f41bf61e4d.PNG

Yes, way too much time on my hands.

Edited by billrigsby
  • Like 2

You can wait for retirement. It just means you’re that much older! More miles behind you than there are now. ?

billrigsby.........nice job. It will certainly save time when needing something!

Edited by RobertKB

I have several bins like the ones you got rid of.  Not as many.  Same as you I got tired of going drawer to drawer.  That stuff just sits there now.  The local hardware store is only about two miles away and they have an entire wall dedicated to drawers with everything from tiny set screws to brass bushings.  When I need a couple of small parts I just jump in one of the old vehicles and take a ride to the hardware store and pick up what I need.  Usually pick up a couple of extra in case I loose or break one.  But I like the system you set up and I'm going look into doing something similar.  May use excel to set up the inventory on the computer.  That way I could do a search to find the part I needed.

• 2 months later...

I bought some of these stacking cases branded as Milwaukee. They lock together. They have parts bins in them. I am quite happy with them. All my hardware is sorted. Smaller spare parts, spare ignition points and rotors. Caps. Condensers. Light bulbs. Switches. Gaskets, shims. Etc. A good system that I recommend!

E7BFE368-15BF-4EA0-B783-71E44CA290CC.jpeg

75B51743-754C-45A9-9395-16C0B9E83CA8.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Not sure how I missed this thread this time around. I don't have as many organizing drawers as @billrigsby but enough that finding things in them could be hard. My solution is to use my label maker to label each drawer and then group parts based on type.

One thing I did when setting up my current garage was to put “French cleats” around all the walls and then make various shelves and hangers that fit on the cleats to actually hold all my junk stuff. I did that because I knew I’d be moving things around at least a few times until I got things organized enough. And it has helped over the years as I acquire or get rid of things. Very easy to re-arrange all the hangers, shelves, etc. Attached photo was when I was just getting started putting things on the walls.

IMG_20160415_184116.jpg