Gearbox oil leakage

Cudan

Hi,

at the front of the gearbox I have a oil leakage, it is coming out of a kind of metal sealing plug ?Is this a welch plug? See the pic.

how to solve this leakage ?

cudan

E9B96878-6F80-4AFC-8F0F-0CDCBF96576A.jpeg

That appears to be the countershaft. You are looking at the end of it.  It's a mild interference fit. There is no seal there. Not sure what model of tranny you have there. Looks like a 3 spd manual.  The tranny could be disassembled. A sealant applied to the countershaft where it enters into your tranny housing. It would hopefully seal it.

While out, study the countershaft for wear, where it fits into the housing. It may be damaged, nicked, from poor handling by someone. Countershaft does not turn so this is not an area that normally sees much wear.

Edited by keithb7

27 minutes ago, plymjim said:

You should use a gasket between trans

& bell housing. They are available from

Andy Bernbaum & certainly other suppliers. 

Right answer for the original poster’s question. 

Also, if the drive pinion bearing retainer bolts are leaking, I would use a thread sealant rather put goop on the outside although I’m sure it will work also. 

Edited by RobertKB

4 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Right answer for the original poster’s question. 

Also, if the drive pinion bearing retainer bolts are leaking, I would use a thread sealant rather put goop on the outside although I’m sure it will work also. 

I used thread sealer, the sealer on the heads was just a belt and suspenders approach since I didn’t want to have to address this again.

The sealer is Flamemaster fuel tank sealant, a superb sealer I’ve used on aircraft for 25 years.

The bell housing gasket doesn’t cover the end of the countershaft.

transmission-8.jpg.1132afb0573d888a282e908af438f62a.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

3 hours ago, busycoupe said:

From the slot in that gasket it looks like the countershaft was expected to weep a little.

I find this plausible, but to weep a little because the gearbox is overfilled ?

5 hours ago, busycoupe said:

From the slot in that gasket it looks like the countershaft was expected to weep a little.

The countershaft is below the bottom edge of the bellhousing so the gasket isn't a factor. Look at this photo carefully:

transmission-7.jpg.c4bc3a24f7ef28223da07ff31264349b.jpg

You can see the change in color where the bottom of the bellhousing meets the tranny. The countershaft is below that line, so the gasket is irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I suspect that gap in the gasket is for the input bearing retainer to "weep".

I agree, guess the Mopar guys considered a little drooling as a possibility as miles accumulate, better than having oil find its way into the clutch housing. Pretty clever.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 1:10 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

I agree, guess the Mopar guys considered a little drooling as a possibility as miles accumulate, better than having oil find its way into the clutch housing. Pretty clever.

Sorry late question did you use sealant on the gasket as well specialy around the upper selector shaft or is that unnecessary? 

5 hours ago, Bryce Mcclintock said:

Sorry late question did you use sealant on the gasket as well specialy around the upper selector shaft or is that unnecessary? 

I did use a thin coat of sealant around the shaft....not sure if it was necessary but I was trying to cover all bases.

usually this happens because the shaft has been pushed out through the front, ruining the interference fir.  I found a soft plug,  maybe the same one as used on the lower shift rail and pushed it into the hole against some sealer.  did the job.   also, the gasket is a must.   just to be sure, make sure the gasket behind the front bearing retainer is not covering the drain-back port.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:31 PM, rrunnertexas said:

Cudan,

Found the same leak in my '35 PJ.  Did you try a sealant and did it help or still leaking?

Hi, yes the sealant stopped the leaking.

Dan

I just went thru this. The counter shaft I was told to use JB weld. The 3 bolts on the retainer collar originally had small rubber grommets, which I found on eBay (none of the typical suppliers had). I also used thread sealant on those bolts and the 2 lower bolts. New O rings at the shift lever pivots and a new rear seal along with a new gasket and a small amount of sealant and you should be drip free. While the drive shaft is off, have a look at the pinion seal on the differential 

How does one ever get the countershaft back out once JB Weld has been used to seal it? I suspect that tranny may now end up being run to total destruction. 

Edited by keithb7

JB Weld can easily be chipped, sanded or ground off....even heat above 400 degree's it weakens quickly.

Anyway if you seal the front of the shaft/case remember the shaft is driven to the rear of the case...it will pound out just fine.