Something i never thought about

Tooljunkie

So, i got my 51 Fargo to the point where i could get a safety inspection and get it on the road. It was last insured in 1965 to my knowledge. I havent taken it out on the highway til i was on my way for inspection. Will it even make it?? It did,and passed inspection. So, off for a cruise around town. I have never had something like this to cruise around,so its all new to me. Cold dreary day, never imagined it would bring joy to so many people seeing it drive by. Its a little difficult to drive,but its getting easier, and i really enjoy it. 
i have driven lots of street rods and classics, but never something i owned. Its truly a different experience. 
a sense of pride,maybe? 

so, to those of you in my situation,project to finish and wondering what its going to be like,its awesome! 
And thanks to you guys here on the forum, providing information and advice to make my vision a reality! 

• Like 7

out and about with an old car, driving or towing it home you are most always going to get waves, horn beeps, thumbs up, craned/turning necks as they go by and most always a conversation at the gas pump if you have to refuel on your adventure.   I experience all these on my trip home with the car in tow a few days back.  It is even better when a person actually knows what you have.  Enjoy your ride..you worked hard enough to get there....and often the build is the majority of the fun

Be prepared for it. In the Russian Ural motorcycle community, we call it UDF or Ural Delay Factor. I experienced DDF, DeSoto Delay Factor the first time I stopped to gas up my pickup the day I towed it home. Always get a thumbs up or two when running either the car or the sidecar rig.

I enjoyed driving my old buggies around and would chew the fat with those interested in them...but I had to use my diplomacy skills on more than one occasion when approached by tire kicking vultures who were so enamored with my rides that they wanted to buy them, but only for scrap metal price, then wanted to make me feel bad when I balked at such a poorly negotiated low-ball offer.  It was annoying, I got cussed at a few times by these a-wipes, but I kept my cool and stayed polite, even when I would tell them that their unsolicited offers would only make a fraction of the down payment for my licensed and registered rides.  A couple of weeks ago I had 2 old blankety blanks roll up to the house, one was a self-proclaimed body man of 30yrs :rolleyes: who wanted to buy the doors off of one of my trucks sitting by the house cuz his project had some rust damage to the skin...I tried to converse with that old bstrd about the project he was working on, but he quickly got short with me and stomped off before I could offer some spare doors I had at another location...bless his heart :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I get a lot of tire kickers with the antique tractors - particularly a couple of the highly desirable ones (low double digit production)- I tell them its not for sale and they get upset -so I give them a price that is about double market value - and they get even more upset. Price reflects willingness to sell. If I say I don't want to sell something.... I don't want to sell something, but I will. lol 

Well, that was short lived. The kinda will fit rad is a failure. So new one on order that should work. Sadly its shiny. But i plan on using it whenever i can, so i want something that will work on even the really hot days. Still lots of crud in the block, i flushed it several times throughout the day,one chemical treatment as well. 

Sent a photo to the gent i bought the truck from. Think it was the day i insured it. He made me an offer,i obviously declined. Yesterday came back with more. Still too low. I explained what i did and the hours spent. Dont think he will pester me any more. Besides, i think i need to enjoy it some before i decide to sell it. 

Pulled rad, laid it almost flat,poured water into lower outlet and blasted with compressed air, 5 times. Lots of junk plugging it up. 
did a similar thing with the block, filled it with water,and with air hose ready,removed block drain then blasted water pump inlet with air. It really blew chunks. 
did that several times as well. 
installed rad and went for a ride. 180 the whole time. Thermostat is 180. 

will be cruising it this week for sure, be a good test. 

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self: 

plan to be in town for an extra hour if driving Fargo. Lots of people stop and talk. Thoroughy enjoying it. Other than the extreme blowby. 

so i’m passing the engine on to  a fellow that is struggling to get his on the road. For him it will be a cheap drop in runner, with new water pump, starter, rebuilt distributor and set up to take a 12v dodge alternator. If he wants to re-ring it, its easy enough. 

And i get to power it with what i wanted to begin with. 

Yes, every time I go out I meet a few new people. That part of the hobby is fantastic. People, strangers, coming up and talking, asking about the old car. Young and old, people of all ages put their phones down, smile and wave.  I like it. I like to see the brief joy that my old cars bring to people when they see it. Sure, I may be  experiencing a little pride of ownership,  but for me it's more about other people being into my hobby. Just a thumbs up or a wave sure feels good. Cruising in an old, well liked car or truck is good for your soul. The nostalgia part of it keeps me feeling great while behind the wheel too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Yes, every time I go out I meet a few new people. That part of the hobby is fantastic. People, strangers, coming up and talking, asking about the old car. Young and old, people of all ages put their phones down, smile and wave.  I like it. I like to see the brief joy that my old cars bring to people when they see it. Sure, I may be  experiencing a little pride of ownership,  but for me it's more about other people being into my hobby. Just a thumbs up or a wave sure feels good. Cruising in an old, well liked car or truck is good for your soul. The nostalgia part of it keeps me feeling great while behind the wheel too.

One gentleman approached me yesterday,said he has to drive his old truck more. I said whats stopping you? He had no answer. I look for an excuse to drive it. My 92 is pretty much parked. So i think i will do a little maintenance on it and let it rest for summer. 

I too drive my old cars at every opportunity. I get out a lot. Many an evening, sometimes alone even. If everyone is busy, oh well. I still go.  I hit drive thru and grab a coffee. Cruise downtown and park by the riverside in the park. Watch the sunset. It's relaxing. Another place where lots of folks approach to chat.

I'd rather drive my old cars any day over any other vehicles we own. So I do!

• Like 1

I pretty much use my Cambridge exclusively for my personal stuff.  I have a company truck, 2019 Silverado, that's a monster to park and drive in town, 4x4, four door, long bed.  I put way too many miles on it for work and don't care to drive it unless I have to.  I get people talking to me all the time, good thing I got over my anti-social streak, lol.

• Like 1

We got some DDF last Sunday with the DeSoto. It's usually old guys and little kids. Usually, I will let the little kids sit behind the wheel, if the aren't wearing their food, and have their parents take their pictures. Everyone smiles.

20210425_125016.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 8:39 AM, Sniper said:

I put way too many miles on it for work and don't care to drive it unless I have to.

Same here, I drive too much for work. Around 60k miles for work in the past year and I doubt that I put over a hundred miles on a personal vehicle. 

• 2 months later...

So sunday was my first adventure that was a good distance from home,35 miles each way to a car show. Truck behaved well and received a lot of attention. It was fun. A cruise in to a coffee shop in neighbouring town. There are a few more scheduled. 

I used to find this annoying back when I was driving the P15 daily. But now I get people who want to buy my 2012 truck from me. This is a really hot truck market and you will not find one for sale like I own on the dealer lots.

Anyhow they made the engine smaller in the new model so mine has jumped up in value a little bit because of that.

Edited by Ulu