Pressure washed my 48 DeSoto frame today.

MarcDeSoto

Marc, You are lucky you live in Temecula. If I tried to de-grease a chassis here on the sidewalk in San Francisco I would have the Eco Police on me in a heartbeat!

Did you find the stamped number on the frame?  I would like to know where it is so I can look for it when I pull the body up to replace the rubber on mine. I will stick my cell phone camera up there and take a shot.

James

• Like 2

James , you must have not seen my response.  I took pics and described where the serial number was in a previous post, right after you asked for it.  see

I do have an HOA, but as long as they don't see it, I think I'm OK.  The chassis goes right back in the garage after the cleaning.  I didn't get any water in my face, except when I was filming my friend in the video.  Now I'm going to wipe the frame down with a solvent and get ready to paint it with POR chassis black.  The frame still has a lot of hardened undercoating on it, which I'm not going to attempt to remove.  If it's been on there for three-quarters of a century, it will stay on for another 73 years at least.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

Your work gave me incentive to dig out my pressure washer and do some spring cleaning.  I used my Mity-Vac vacuum, oil extractor to suck out the engine oil in the Honda engine and refill with new 10W30. Cleaned the plug and now she's good for the season. Spent some time cleaning up oil drips on my asphalt driveway from my old Mopars.

A comment about POR 15. I used it on the backside of my 4 wheel rims. Looked good. Yet, brake fluid destroys it. Any brake fluid leaks, the POR bubbles up and flakes off quickly. Just be aware and careful when topping up your master cylinder. Keep an eye out for wheel cylinder leaks over the winter and get on them.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Your work gave me incentive to dig out my pressure washer and do some spring cleaning.  I used my Mity-Vac vacuum, oil extractor to suck out the engine oil in the Honda engine and refill with new 10W30. Cleaned the plug and now she's good for the season. Spent some time cleaning up oil drips on my asphalt driveway from my old Mopars.

A comment about POR 15. I used it on the backside of my 4 wheel rims. Looked good. Yet, brake fluid destroys it. Any brake fluid leaks, the POR bubbles up and flakes off quickly. Just be aware and careful when topping up your master cylinder. Keep an eye out for wheel cylinder leaks over the winter and get on them.

That is good to know. i realize brake fluid is destructive to almost all paints but this is the first thing I have heard of to melt hardened POR15.

Yes, I thought about just making one big thread, but I hesitated.  I will bet there are many who would not look at my thread anymore after it was five or six pages long and it would always say "Finally took body off of the frame" and people would say "Oh I've already read that post."  And let's say I had a question on the fuel tank, no one would know I was asking about the fuel tank unless they opened up the thread and went to the last page.  I know Nick is an exception to this, but I'm not as popular as Nick.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Yes, I thought about just making one big thread, but I hesitated.  I will bet there are many who would not look at my thread anymore after it was five or six pages long and it would always say "Finally took body off of the frame" and people would say "Oh I've already read that post."  And let's say I had a question on the fuel tank, no one would know I was asking about the fuel tank unless they opened up the thread and went to the last page.  I know Nick is an exception to this, but I'm not as popular as Nick.  

What would be cool is if forum design/technology allowed the topic "owner" to add specific "tags" to each of his posts within a thread that started a new sub-topic.  Otherwise valuable information becomes more difficult to find.  But it still works MUCH better than trying to find a specific post in a FakeBook group.

• Like 1

Thanks..I missed the reply on the serial number location. It looks like Desoto used the top of the frame rail (Drivers side on my 1949) as opposed to on the wheel well arch. No way to see it without the body off. Also, the number is the engine number and not the number on the plate on the drivers side door hinge pillar.

The car when registered in VA in 1949, I have moms paperwork, they used the engine number. When they came to CA in the 1950's that was carried over.

Now my 1947 Desoto which was first sold in CA used the serial number on the door pillar and not the engine number.

Since the flathead engines get the blocks changed or "decked" the factory engine number is often long gone.  It took some doing with the special processing unit in Sacramento, but I got DMV to change the Pink to use the serial and not the engine number.

That said, when I rebuild the engine I have in the car now, I stamped the correct engine number on the boss so it matches. 

Thanks for the technical confirmation on the location.  James1949_Desoto_CV_backup_Serial_number_location.JPG.44d6ace985d499ebdf8212fd147f72d3.JPG

Frame_Stampping_Number.JPG.945d6ff0938e966909e72c0daa7280ed.JPG

Edited by James_Douglas

13 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

You were thinking farther ahead than I was on that one.?