1950 dodge Meadowbrook shifting

jody

i just got my car in September and have not got to drive it yet.  I just got it started last week for the first time in 10 to 15 year. anyways where are them gears? is first all the way up is there a diagram that shows placement?  

dodge.JPG

All the way up and towards you is reverse, all the way down and toward you is first.  All the way up and away from you is second, all the way down and away from you is third

Assuming a standard three speed column shifted transmission.

• Like 1

Oh boy, here we go again with is it a fluid drive or standard or semi automatic.  Is there a script on the dashboard, the trunklid or the rear bumper that says gyro matic?  Is there any thing in those same places that says fluid drive?

Being it is a Meadowbrook which was the entry level model I'm going to guess it's fluid drive with a three speed.  As such the gear locations are as noted in the earlier response.  Simple test for fluid drive.  Put the front bumper against a stout tree or retaining wall or similar immovable object, put the car in high gear.  Slowly let out the clutch.  If the engine stalls it a dry clutch, if the engine continues to idle it's fluid drive.

Learning curve will continue when system is identified.  Or if you have parked it on a slight grade with it in gear and not applied the emergency brake, has it ever wandered a bit down hill.

Not trying to be a wise ass but there is a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings regarding these various drive trains.

Go to allpar.com, use the search function and use key word fluid drive.  Read, read read, then search key word semi automatic and read that stuff too.

Class will resume tommorow.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jody said:

it is a  fluid drive. :)

thanks for the info and resisting the smart ass comments ;)   

There might be YouTube videos that will help you out.  

Post more pics!?

• Like 1

All Dodges had the fluid coupling. A 3 speed was standard equipment for the Meadowbrook but Gyromatic was an option. Is there a box attached to the air cleaner support bracket with 4 wires attached to it? If so it’s a Gyromatic. Also the Gyromatic has no 1st gear position. If it’s a Gyromatic many of us have them and can explain how to use it. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

its a fluid drive. i have been driving it a round a bit gave it is first bath in years today. i need to do some motor work to it, it runs a little ruff. I'm on facebook and looking for a Meadowbrook page and did not find one so i made one. i posted videos of my little drive on it.

It's most likely a plain old 3 speed trans with the grape fruit cut in half  principle  FD coupling.

20201118_184916_compress85_compress73.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Fluid drive is not the transmission.   It will be a three speed manual or a semi automatic that shifts a two speed gearbox in one of two selected modes. Plus reverse. Does it have the wiring shown in the picture posted in response to your post?  It is like asking you if your watch is analog or digital and you answer it has a battery.

Edited by greg g
  • Haha 1

greg g if you look i did say "sniper your right" he had made the first comment after my question and said 

"All the way up and towards you is reverse, all the way down and toward you is first.  All the way up and away from you is second, all the way down and away from you is third

Assuming a standard three speed column shifted transmission."

now you know as much as I do. 

So fluid drive and three speed.  My dad had one in a 49 wayfarer.  He drove it like you would a regular car with a manual. Except in city stop and go traffic where he put it in second gear and drove it just like you would an automatic using the brake pedal and gas without declutching at stop lights.  Same thing if in a traffic jam during construction season. They were just starting to build the interstates and other limited access high speed highways so traffic was stop and go a lot.  When my mother drove the car, she just put it in third and left it there till she needed reverse which she took pains to avoid.