48 Dodge Cleaning rust inside doors

JasonD24

Doing the doors. Getting regulators etc out and down to the pesky set screw on the lock on the first one. Noticed how bad the inside of the doors are rusted and dirty. Any best practices on getting them cleaned? My first thought was flush a half dozen times with krud kutter, scrub what I can reach. power wash it out. Reach as much area as poss with some rust reformer with those long nozzels for frame insides ? ? seems like a real pain in the ass. lol. Watched the vid of dudes 41 plymouth doing his doors. they looked impossibly clean. lol 

Well,I don't recommend any of what you mentioned. If you do an excellent job,the result is you are going to have bare metal inside your doors that will be rusting before you can put them back on the car.

If it were me,I think I would just take all the doors off and take them to a pro-shop that has big tanks they can dip them into to remove the rust,and then dry them and dip in in a big vat of rust-proof primer.

Be a bitch to do all that work and then 5 years later see the bottom of your door fall off when you open the door one day.

An alternate method is to cut away the inner door panel so you have full access to blast and paint inside the doors as well as the support panel you just cut off, Then weld it back together

• Thanks 1

Yeah I'm keeping the original paint for now. So idk if a full dip n prime is what I want. Plan on putting paint back inside the door so not 2 worried about re rust. Some.rust is forming under rhe paint on rhino liner stuff that is inside the doors.so need that off 2 I guess.  Thanks for the response!

20210417_161717.jpg

My 52 door internals weren’t bad so I decided to do it the old fashioned way and really just heavily coated the metal with canned undercoating. Lots of canned undercoating. That was 15-17 years ago and to this day I see no evidence of rust forming.  Maybe long after I am dead and it has been converted into an electric powered restomod...

That is not bad rust at all. Apply a rust neutralizing agent, rinse, dry and apply paint suited for the previous treatment. Slight scuffing by wire brush is recommended prior to treatment. Knuck called that one like Howard Cosell.

Edited by Marcel Backs

3 hours ago, JasonD24 said:

Yeah I'm keeping the original paint for now. So idk if a full dip n prime is what I want. Plan on putting paint back inside the door so not 2 worried about re rust. Some.rust is forming under rhe paint on rhino liner stuff that is inside the doors.so need that off 2 I guess.  Thanks for the response!

20210417_161717.jpg

Normal paint just doesn't stick to rust. In fact,rust seems to eat it like a snack. For that,you will need something like POR-15.

• Thanks 1

Scrape and clean as much of the loose stuff that you can. Clean it with the cleaner of your choice and rinse it thoroughly. Blow it out with compressed air, make sure it's dry. Brush some por15 in there, you'll be golden.  Make sure the paint doesn't run out of any seams or holes at the bottom of the door. Por15 is no joke, can be messy. Wear good gloves and a respirator too. That really isn't bad though, I've worked on much worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1