new member looking for year /motor size help

amishguy

Hello all thanks for letting me in

have a 47 Plymouth with its original 218 ,stuck of course but its not my first rodeo its got 80,000 on clock so thinking replacement might be more economical than a rebuild . my thinking is to find a newer maybe larger spitfire to replace it with .is this a bolt in swap newer flat head/bigger to older?  if i had to rebuild id rather have a bit more power? what cars trucks do i look for to find the spitfire? thanks for any help amishguy

American built 23” long 218? Or Canadian built 25” long 218? Big difference between the two. If Canadian you can fit upto a 265 ci engine in there. 

23” long? I believe the 230 ci 23” will drop in pretty easily.

If you want to upsize to a 25” engine, it may be able to fit with some modifications.  My ‘38 had a 23” 201 in it when new. It now houses a 25” long engine. Rad was moved forward.