Parts Scoop of the Week

Marcel Backs
Go to solution Solved by DJK,

I found this on ebay a little while ago for 300USD and just got it in snail mail today.Only thing wrong was it ha a missing temperature sender and the pointer lens needed glued. This is a very hard item to find and is pretty much as nice as the one I had restored for considerably moreUS spending coupons. A good addition to my parts reserve!

BE469534-A08E-4435-8EA7-5CBEAEEF74A4.jpeg

• Like 2

sometimes you do find the holy grail.

I found a NOS plastic insert for the Speedometer cluster for my 39 Desoto. The seller did not know what it fit.

I later on sold it to a gentleman in South Africa that needed it so it went to a good home.

We are always on the hunt for these early parts and just think that yours is 80+ years old and is still in such great shape.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

They are a nice looking cluster aren't they, my speedo plastic piece with the graduations marked on it has a couple of small cracks and the gold paint is starting to show its age so am also looking for a nice replacement but $300 is way over my pay scale......lol.............regards, andyd  

P1010397.JPG

I think you got a real deal at US$300. Most of what’s out there is junk and to find one as good as you did is great.

As I always say, “ You gotta pay to play.” And I like to play with four old cars. 

A lot of people who think we spend too much money on our old cars are the same ones who will send $2-3 on a bottle of water and then complain about the price of gas, which is way less than the water. I pay maybe 1/4 cent for a bottle of water outta my tap. ?

• Thanks 1

I’m on it Andy. A firefighter that I know has a D15 cluster that I am trying to get! The crux of the matter on this part is it is attached to a speedo and part out units are very scarce. When  it comes to parts I always have a scan on. Dunno about price though. LOL PS try vintagepartsource.com and check the instruments section. They have reams of instrument parts and repair contacts. Worth a try! M

Edited by Marcel Backs
Elaborating

3 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

Just wondering if anyone knows if a temperature gauge has had the probe and pipe cut off, can a new one be put back on? Does some form of repair kit exist or has the instrument been rendered irreperable? M

According to Uncle Tech, it consists of the panel gauge, a sealed capillary tube and Bourdon bulb filled with liquid
ether.

A quick look on the internet and there are several who can repair them. 

Included is PDF pages from SERVICE REFERENCE BOOK GAUGES.

Let me know if someone wants the whole booklet.

Pages from 1950 Gauges-2.pdf

• Like 2

Love the Floating Power inscription. Chrysler corporation where really proud of it and with good reasons.

Found it stamped on bracket for front engine mount during motor restoration years ago. Have other found theirs?

Ups, changing the subject again...sorry ?

floating power..jpg

• Solution
6 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

Just wondering if anyone knows if a temperature gauge has had the probe and pipe cut off, can a new one be put back on? Does some form of repair kit exist or has the instrument been rendered irreperable? M

I had mine repaired at Auto Instruments Martinsville Va. $205.00 + 30.75 shipping. 

• Like 1