Bought a Husqvarna pressure washer today.

MarcDeSoto

I bought the pressure washer to clean my frame and differential, which is the greasiest part.  You can put a detergent designed to use with pressure washers in the machine.  But I've heard of applying something like Aqua Clean before using the washer and then blasting it off.  Any tips or recommendations?  

I have one word for you,"GOGGLES!".

Buy them,wear them!

Yes,I am sure you already know this,but some things just bear repeating as often as possible because sometimes being experienced means we get too casual about some of the basics.

Or I do,anyhow.

• Like 4

I bought a stihl electric, very happy with it. 
a soaking with simple green will cut the oily stuff, but the caked on grease will take some work. It will mostly come off with just water. 
i use the nozzle with a rotating spray, its like a single stream, but oscillates. I use that tip the most. And i wear my sunglasses outside, not quite goggles but the bright sunlight is something i cant tolerate. Choices. 

• Like 1

Wet down the area to be cleaned, spray on some commercial grease be gone stuff let sit for a bit.  Follow safety instructions and blast it off.  I have never found

putting the detergent in the machine to be adequate for proper removal of 70 year old petrified road grime. I have also used oven cleaner spray as a pre soak.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Thoroughly read the instructions. Do not run the washer without a water source hooked up. The pump will burn out very quickly.

• Like 3

Start with the lowest pressure widest spread, working in small circles and back-n-forth manner to break the crud surface rather than trying to blast bug chunks off at a time...in other words, let the water pressure chip away at the crud, this keeps debris from going everywhere and any other damage that might result.  Incrementally increase pressure / reduce spread to wear down stubborn accumulations.  Preferably do the work on concrete, have a shovel on the ready to scoop up crud to fling at the bratty neighbor kids.  Definitely protect yer peepers and feet, be prepared to strip down before stepping back into the house to prevent making a bigger mess.  Water pressure alone works well on removing crud, the cleaners only work well on the last little surface films that are left after the big stuff is removed  :cool:

• Like 1

Yeah Mark, the KBS Klean  is quite necessary to ensure proper paint adhesion and prevent fisheye prior to painting (which I’m sure you already know). It works tons better than any other degreaser that I have used. Due to it’s effectiveness this product saves a lot of messy work prior to blasting the dirt and lubricant off with your Huski PW. Here is a pic for your info. It was aqua Klean before but called KBs Klean now.

B03031CF-9EB0-4FE0-ABF6-2E24C98A4584.jpeg

Edited by Marcel Backs
Elaboration
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ratfinkxxx said:

Thoroughly read the instructions. Do not run the washer without a water source hooked up. The pump will burn out very quickly.

I bought a used power washer some years ago, with a burned out pump.  They put a new pump with the deal, never installed.  (It was an auction.)  I'd never had one before, so I read up on it, and now I'm a real stickler about not letting it run w/o water going through it.  (The water cools the pump.)  I'd like to put some sort of clutch on it, but haven't so far.  I turn the water on & leave the nozzle out while get it running, with the wand handle pulled open as well.  Then when I'm ready to go with it I stop the water flow at the wand, put in the nozzle, then blast away.  (We have a lot of trees, and the deck is covered with algae every year.  The north side of the house doesn't get any sun, so it's always green.  And the water from way up the street washes dirt from the street & down our gravel drive up onto the little bit of cement we have in front of the garage. So far my family puts up with my pickiness about it, so hoping it will last a long time.)

Edited by Eneto-55

13 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Buy them,wear them!

Yes,I am sure you already know this,but some things just bear repeating as often as possible because sometimes being experienced means we get too casual about some of the basics.

Or I do,anyhow.

Harley,  I just wanted to repeat the advice you gave here!  I used to have a fellow teacher that I carpooled with who just had one eye.  He was pruning a large tree with a chain saw without eye protection.  The chainsaw kicked back cutting into his cheekbone and taking his eye right out.  The pain must have been incredible!  I just went to the optometrist for a routine eye exam and she checked my eyes with my glasses on.  She had me hold the paddle over my left eye so I read letters with my right eye.  I couldn't read any letters even when they were big!  She said I had a macular hole.  So I went to an opthamolagist and she showed me a pic of it and compared it to my good eye.  You could see the hole.  The macula is at the center of your retina at the back of your eyeball and is where you focus.  So she said you better protect your left eye or you won't be able to read or drive anymore.  

10 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Harley,  I just wanted to repeat the advice you gave here!  I used to have a fellow teacher that I carpooled with who just had one eye.  He was pruning a large tree with a chain saw without eye protection.  The chainsaw kicked back cutting into his cheekbone and taking his eye right out.  The pain must have been incredible!  I just went to the optometrist for a routine eye exam and she checked my eyes with my glasses on.  She had me hold the paddle over my left eye so I read letters with my right eye.  I couldn't read any letters even when they were big!  She said I had a macular hole.  So I went to an opthamolagist and she showed me a pic of it and compared it to my good eye.  You could see the hole.  The macula is at the center of your retina at the back of your eyeball and is where you focus.  So she said you better protect your left eye or you won't be able to read or drive anymore.  

I am sorry to hear that. Oftentimes,we don't really begin to appreciate anything until we start to lose it.

58 minutes ago, Marcel Backs said:

Yeah Mark, the KBS Klean  is quite necessary to ensure proper paint adhesion and prevent fisheye prior to painting (which I’m sure you already know). It works tons better than any other degreaser that I have used. Due to it’s effectiveness this product saves a lot of messy work prior to blasting the dirt and lubricant off with your Huski PW. Here is a pic for your info. It was aqua Klean before but called KBs Klean now.

B03031CF-9EB0-4FE0-ABF6-2E24C98A4584.jpeg

Marcel,  I can't find this anywhere locally, even NAPA.  I guess I have to order it online?  Marc.

16 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Right on, brother.. And I'm sorry to hear about Mark's eye problem, too.. 

One of my son's friend's found out when they were in high school to never EVER use a pressure washer to clean under your fingernails.. he cleaned one right off the end of his finger. 

Like they say, it ain't a party until someone gets hurt!!

If you really want to get your frame clean. Finish take everything off of it and get it acid dipped and epoxy coated. I did that 16 year ago with a frame. Below are the results. The whole process cost probably what a nice pressure washer would, and no one got hurt.

The frame stripped for acid dipping.

thumbnail_20210416_181657.jpg.3f4b8a596d895d2fafae5c1346ff249b.jpg

The frame after acid dipping, home for repairs.

thumbnail_20210416_181714.jpg.a34c021fd7a05f916fb82e08f1140111.jpg

The frame after being epoxy coated (E-Coat).

thumbnail_20210416_181645.jpg.b7815309ea37e9676be281cea742f576.jpg

Edited by ccudahy
  • Like 2

The KBS blast is acid based and reacts with any rust and metal creating a primer coat for the rust seal paint. Paint can be brushed or sprayed and flows amazingly while curing using humidity in the air. Area 51 material lol. Rust is converted and choked out and will not return.

hard to argue with Cuddys results. acid bath is how I get rid of DXXX Bxxxxs

simple Green works well. Sposed to be non toxic and hot water works well

If your hot water heater is in the garage hook up PW

good to drain that thingie once a year its a win win

(turn of WH and relite it when yer dun

1 minute ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

hard to argue with Cuddys results. acid bath is how I get rid of DXXX Bxxxxs

simple Green works well. Sposed to be non toxic and hot water works well

If your hot water heater is in the garage hook up PW

good to drain that thingie once a year its a win win

(turn of WH and relite it when yer dun

Area 51 book is good

Oven cleaner will lift that nasty undercoating. A couple applications usually does it. 
used to use a degreaser called powerbrite, all the farmers liked it, was a good product. 
a friend had a ramp used in car sales lots, he put wheels under it and set it up for a winch. Gets cars up off the ground,good for washing chassis. I bought it from him, just need to set it close to the garage. 

EB9E643C-9C29-4502-99B4-17C8479E0036.png

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:50 AM, Tooljunkie said:

Oven cleaner will lift that nasty undercoating. A couple applications usually does it. 
used to use a degreaser called powerbrite, all the farmers liked it, was a good product. 
a friend had a ramp used in car sales lots, he put wheels under it and set it up for a winch. Gets cars up off the ground,good for washing chassis. I bought it from him, just need to set it close to the garage. 

EB9E643C-9C29-4502-99B4-17C8479E0036.png

Love that lift....Wowser.