What does this DeSoto medallion go to?

MarcDeSoto

The seller claims this medallion goes on a 46-48 DeSoto?  It looks similar the radiator medallion on my 48, but mine doesn't have a hole in it and has a different part number.  Is this maybe for a DeSoto Diplomat for Latin America and Australia?  

desoto medal.jpg

desoto madel.jpg

belt buckle indeed.......well if you have this and wish to sell it application would be a plus,  if you came across this and is not for your car...move along Betty nothing to see here.....but back to the belt buckle....I cannot see how anyone car wear those large belt buckles...they just not comfortable and will ruin the finish of your favorite ride...with the hole however, I would be looking at the trunk for a possible key port...not so much the front hood area...now of course this could be the wrong assumption...but hey, I can accept being wrong now and then about things that really are not important.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  you made short work of that one!  I looked at the 49 DeSoto medallion, but the bust of Hernando through me.  I didn't realize that he was a separate part that bolted on.  BTW, you can buy this piece of jewelry on Ebay for $400.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the book does not show a separate part number for ole Hernando...just the medallion 1252 676 and then the base the medallion 1254 985 sets on....so  James must have shot poor ole Hernando off the first time he deployed the gun...

If that's the case, then this medallion NOS piece is incomplete and at $400 that is quite a steep price!  

And from the mopar nopro guy.

Great pricing for return to shelf parts.

Gotta pay play. I know I’ve overpaid for some items that I need and rarely come up. I just don’t want to take the chance of missing out. I bet that DeSoto medallion goes for asking price of close to. Someone out there will want it desperately and be willing to pay. If I was restoring a show car 49 DeSoto and needed that part to finish the project, I’d be all over it. 

• Like 1

It's like buying rare coins condition plus rarity plus demand equals many dollars depending on those factors. The emblems for the de Soto cars were very most likely produced in way smaller quantities than say Dodge or Plymouth ones. RobertKB makes a good point. “Got to pay to play”. M