THE STARTER

POPTOP
Go to solution Solved by The Oil Soup,

1949 b1b  when first got the truck when starting stomp the the starter it would the starter would zing and after stomping a few times it would catch and start . at that time it was connected to 6 volt .now its connected to 12 volts does the same thing Removed the ring gear the teeth and you could that the teeth where worn or chipped about 8 or so teeth  in three

places about  1/8th  deep . Replaced  the ring gear checked the starter it looks like the gear on the starter is only going in the flywheel about1/8th in  I don't think I  can shim the fly wheel can't move the starter  the starter shop says the starter is fine ring gear is 146 teeth .The only thing I can think of is the wrong is that it might have the wrong starter?  the engine is a 218 short head .. any suggestions anybody have a picture of the correct starter or starter number

When i replaced starter on my 218, there was only one listed. 
you may want to check the linkage for wear. Also the stomp pedal should be mounted to engine side of firewall. Could be the fork in the starter is worn or bent. 

measure from face of starter mount to flywheel teeth, and compare it to travel on starter. 
pinion should be fully engaged before switch makes contact. 

I have found that the length of the solenoid arm\plunger effects when the starter engages. In your case the arm many be too long and when you step on the starter pedal, the starter spins before the yoke fully engages the starter gear teeth on the flywheel. Make sure everything is clean and slightly lubricated. I have a bunch of old starters and it is amazing the difference in the lengths of the solenoid plunger.

Edited by 1949 Wraith
  • Like 1

Pop top, is this what was happening?

On mine it was the “starter clutch”

2C53925C-A5BF-43DC-9632-392D43774BF1.jpeg.ab510f4bbf0e94e27fd2cc0e4d9bf703.jpegpicked one up for $20.

And I am running a 12v also

• Solution

The button on top of the starter can be screwed in or out as to when the electrical contact is made, so it sounds like the” button” needs to be unscrewed to allow the starter to engage the ring gear before the starter begins to turn. Here is the section in the shop manual.BC87AB02-5E60-4CB4-8677-9EDEA28CD56D.jpeg.0b16e97ed77c6d53820d684a72894718.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

The button on top of the starter can be screwed in or out as to when the electrical contact is made, so it sounds like the” button” needs to be unscrewed to allow the starter to engage the ring gear before the starter begins to turn. Here is the section in the shop manual.BC87AB02-5E60-4CB4-8677-9EDEA28CD56D.jpeg.0b16e97ed77c6d53820d684a72894718.jpeg

Cool! I didnt know that. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

When i replaced starter on my 218, there was only one listed. 
you may want to check the linkage for wear. Also the stomp pedal should be mounted to engine side of firewall. Could be the fork in the starter is worn or bent. 

measure from face of starter mount to flywheel teeth, and compare it to travel on starter. 
pinion should be fully engaged before switch makes contact.