Swapping out Transmission mounts

Hzman78

Hi, i have a 1952 cranbrook, i recently took this for a roadworthy and was told the trans mounts needed replacing, they have just called me and said the gearbox and motor may need to come out to change these, does anyone have a better method? 

Another issue is the kingpins, they cannot find anyone with a press to get them out for them, does anyone sell aftermarket stock style spindles? or is there an alternative?

Thanks in advance

Welcome Aboard.....these guys know their stuff........first off....do your mechanics have any idea how to work on our mopars as it sounds like they don't.......as far as getting the mounts, try Jim Robinson in Victoria, 03 5345 4094 or www.dodgeparts.com.au or in the USA Andy Bernbaums, www.oldmoparts.com............as for swapping the gearbox mounts, they may have to remove the front floor panel if it has one, if not then they should be able to jack up the gearbox to get enough clearance to swap them out............as for the king pins...........after undoing the steering arms from the spindle you then drive out the kingpin lock pin which is inserted from either front or back into the spindle and against the kingpin, then the king pin should be able to be gently tapped out thru the bottom of the stub axle........the brake and backing plates will need to be removed also from the stub axle before all this is done...........once the stub axle is off the car, yep you do need someone with a press to remove the kingpin bushes and install the new ones THEN they have to REAM the kingpins to the kingpin size............be acreful buying kingpins on line as you must get ones to suit Plymouth and Dodge CARS 1939 to 1954 USA OR her in Oz up to 1962 which included the Oz only Chrysler Royals..........NOT pickups  or 7 passenger cars which are sometimes listed on ebay...........do you or your "mechanics" have access to a workshop manual?..........if not GET ONE..............lol...........anyway got any pics...we all love pics on here....BTW.....I'm in South Grafton a few hours south of you..........call me anytime up to 10pm, 02 66 425 963............ regards, Andy Douglas

Just noticed that you lived in Grafton......did we ever meet or did you see my car/s?...........lol.............I live on south hill.........andyd

Hey Andy thanks for the reply, I used to live at waterview heights, used to drink at the 5 mile pub (5 at the 5 at 5 lol) we never met but think I may have seen your car around. Cheers for the nice in depth reply, I have a service manual but not a workshop manual, guessing the workshop manual goes into more detail because this is fairly vague with everything! 

I am fairly certain I have the correct parts, I bought everything through rockauto.com - very reasonably priced and 1 week delivery from the states was superfast.

The mechanic is owned by an old guy who has owned old cars but not mopars, he seems capable, so I will pass on your advice and hope they can solve my issues without me having to mortgage the house, 

Thanks again for your advice and I hope to see you driving around sometime.

Ps here's how my ride currently looks cheers

Resized_20210410_172409_4166.jpeg

Service manual or workshop manual are the same thing..........also when installing the kingpin bushes in the stub axle the bushes MUST be inserted so that the hole in the side of the bush lines up with the grease nipple hole in the side of the stub axle, also whilst the work is being done, check that the grease nipples are clear of old dried grease by inserting a piece of wire  into the grease nipple, or better still replace them with new ones if unsure.......note also that the grease nipple screw threads maybe different to whats available now.......imperial originally but maybe only shitty metric now...............you indicate that its LHD, unusual to see a 4dr imported into Oz..........how long has it nbeen here?........here a pic of the 1940 Dodge I've had since 1971 and the 1941 Plymouth I had 2007 to 2013........used to own the book/hobby shop in Skinner Street, South Grafton & park either one outside...........andyd.  

DodgeShop.jpg

IMG_1355.JPG