Another brake adjustment tool

insaneradio
Go to solution Solved by bamfordsgarage,

After fighting with my brakes for too long I opted to try my hand at making a tool.

I found two rusted drums and removed the center hubs.  I had a "arm" welded on to mount a dial indicator.

I installed the drum and adjusted the minor adjustment untill brakes drag.  I then removed drum and used dial indicator to locate highest point.  I then adjusted brakes to that high point.

I sure hope it works this time!!

I am not opposed to purchasing the correct tool.  I just cannot locate one!!

Screenshot_20210412-203806_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210412-203751_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work!  And thanks for sharing.  I have been wanting to make my own tool for that as well, but had not imagined it the way you made yours.  Brilliant...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

Nice work!  And thanks for sharing.  I have been wanting to make my own tool for that as well, but had not imagined it the way you made yours.  Brilliant...

Thanks, hope it gives you a couple of ideas!!

I will see tomorrow if it worked!!

• Like 1

• Solution

Nice job. Thanks for posting.

I made one of a different design but used it the way you describe. Kind of fussy to get the adjustments right but it seems to do OK. A worthwhile improvement would be a brace to reduce/eliminate the tendency of the arm to flex. 

40215C0B-6580-4A89-9AEB-7B7222798520.jpeg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bamfordsgarage said:

I made one of a different design but used it the way you describe. Kind of fussy to get the adjustments right but it seems to do OK. A worthwhile improvement would be a brace to reduce/eliminate the tendency of the arm to flex. 

DGood idea!  Did you have good brakes afterwards?

That's a great idea, I may cook one of these up. 

My idea, which is far down the list of things to do, is to take a piece of aluminum bar stock, have a machine shop bore a hole at the end large enough for the spindle to fit snugly. Cut a slot perpendicular to the width at the top, with a bolt threaded through it, parallel to the sides, so I can clamp a small engineer's square in the slot. For measuring the drum, I already have a big a$$ vernier caliper that I found cheap on ebay. 

I do wish those Ammco units were cheaper...paying $600 for that thing with missing parts makes my eye twitch.

Edited by ratbailey
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ratbailey said:

That's a great idea, I may cook one of these up. 

My idea, which is far down the list of things to do, is to take a piece of aluminum bar stock, have a machine shop bore a hole at the end large enough for the spindle to fit snugly. Cut a slot perpendicular to the width at the top, with a bolt threaded through it, parallel to the sides, so I can clamp a small engineer's square in the slot. For measuring the drum, I already have a big a$$ vernier caliper that I found cheap on ebay. 

I do wish those Ammco units were cheaper...paying $600 for that thing with missing parts makes my eye twitch.

Your idea sounds as though it should work.  I am hoping I have better luck with this than I had the last--too many times!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:53 PM, bamfordsgarage said:

I made something similar to this. By far better than guesswork, tried to wing it, but adjusting with this made a big difference.