Rear main bearing cap removal

ratfinkxxx

P-2 with the 201. I want to see which seal it has. Have the retaining nuts off. Cap does not move. Able to slide a thin putty knife between the mating surfaces of the cap and block. I thought I should ask for advice before I whack it with a hammer. TIA, Terry

Do NOT start creating burrs on the mating surfaces. Try taking the bolts out,and then taking your hammer and tapping each side to break the "Seal of ages" loose?

You can then take something like a big set of vise grip "wide frame" pliers and try pulling it off by wiggling it from side to side until it comes free.

Remember,when you start tapping on the sides,this is NOT a contest to see who can hit it the hardest or get it off the quickest. The idea is to break the seal,not shatter the cap.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Thanks 1

I have learned that the hard way over the years. Didn't know if I was missing something or not. So far I have been very gentle. Thanks.

If you rotate the crankshaft, a counterweight or other flat surface presents itself so a small pry bar can use it as a fulcrum.

you can then provide an even force against the rear main which as I recall has an overhanging lip into which the end of the bar can be inserted.

Avoid hammers.   On the 201, studs are used to secure the mains.  These thread into the block and it may be possible  (by setting up a jam nut)

to remove the stud while the cap is still in place. 

You most likely won't get one of these four bolt rear main caps off rocking off with the bolts...bigger DT 4 bolt rear main cap....use of a plate puller required.

Cali 413 Bearings rod nuts clutch inspections (4).JPG

2 hours ago, ratfinkxxx said:

Main caps have nuts on studs, not bolts.

I can't remember this for an absolute fact,but I seem to recall bolts holding main caps in place. 

Of course,the last one I pulled down was a 322 nailhead Buick V-8,and it's been a while.

Appears to me the rear main has four bolts with lock washers and the next cap to the right is a Wide rod cap with castle nuts on though rod bolts and cotter pins .

Next cap to right another main bearing cap?? Heavy duty for sure.

What does that motor weigh??  besides heavy!

DJ

6 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Appears to me the rear main has four bolts with lock washers and the next cap to the right is a Wide rod cap with castle nuts on though rod bolts and cotter pins .

Next cap to right another main bearing cap?? Heavy duty for sure.

What does that motor weigh??  besides heavy!

DJ

How much does that 413 six cylinder engine weigh?

In ounces....18,720 oz's 

In lbs..............1,170 Lbs

413 Engine Weight with accessories.jpg

• Haha 1

A 413 inline 6??????

What the hell did it come in from the factory?

I'm guessing it had pretty good torque figures.

9 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

A 413 inline 6??????

What the hell did it come in from the factory?

I'm guessing it had pretty good torque figures.

Big trucks!

This series of engine...Moly Blocks...