Are these Bernbaum exhaust pipes correct?

MarcDeSoto

5 hours ago, belvedere said:

Marc, I think I need to join your procrastinators club! Last fall, I finally installed some new windows in our house...we had purchased them in 2009!  ?

That doesn't impress me.  Now if you had bought them in 1978, that would be more like it.  If you want to join the Procrastinators Club, the dues are $50 a year which includes a full color newsletter that comes out bi-monthly!  But as I said, I'm still working on the May-June issue for 1993.  I haven't heard any complaints, but then I haven't received any dues either.  

• Haha 1

Yes, that's why I'm shying away from the very dark colors like Patrol Blue, Black, and maroon.  I have some Eastwood exhaust high-heat paint which is silver.  I guess I can paint the block with this paint since it's supposed to be silver.  Do you think the exhaust and tail pipes need to be painted?  

The silver that I used was VHT Brushed Aluminum. Eastwood makes some good products and are well regarded for restoration supplies. The exhaust system does not need any finish since it will form oxidization on it’s surface with all the heating and cooling cycles. My 39 chevvy is getting due for exhaust and I think that I will opt for stainless. My Tacoma has stainless exhaust and it is still great looking since 2015 even with winter driving. To dress up my coupe tailpipe I have a stainless period style exhaust deflector.

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

That doesn't impress me.  Now if you had bought them in 1978, that would be more like it.  If you want to join the Procrastinators Club, the dues are $50 a year which includes a full color newsletter that comes out bi-monthly!  But as I said, I'm still working on the May-June issue for 1993.  I haven't heard any complaints, but then I haven't received any dues either.  

OK, I'll send in my dues...one of these years.

Edited by belvedere

9 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

The silver that I used was VHT Brushed Aluminum. Eastwood makes some good products and are well regarded for restoration supplies. The exhaust system does not need any finish since it will form oxidization on it’s surface with all the heating and cooling cycles. My 39 chevvy is getting due for exhaust and I think that I will opt for stainless. My Tacoma has stainless exhaust and it is still great looking since 2015 even with winter driving. To dress up my coupe tailpipe I have a stainless period style exhaust deflector.

Interesting you have 39 Chevy. I have a 39 Cadillac and it has black porcelain enameled headers and exhaust tip as standard.

Looking at the grilles my car is the poor man’s version of your caddy. Chevy did this in 32 and 39 and came up with some winning body styling. PS I know someone with a 39 caddy and it has some very nice features. What is the popularity of these cars in Denmark? My personal favourites are of the La Salle line.

Edited by Marcel Backs
More info

1 hour ago, Marcel Backs said:

Looking at the grilles my car is the poor man’s version of your caddy. Chevy did this in 32 and 39 and came up with some winning body styling. PS I know someone with a 39 caddy and it has some very nice features. What is the popularity of these cars in Denmark? My personal favourites are of the La Salle line.

Like other places, pre war enthusiasts are few and generally consist of mature men ?

Most popular US cars are the winged monsters, muscle cars and Ford traditionall hot rods.

Mine is a LaSalle but I called a Cadillac in non LaSalle forums. Unlike you, who obviously are a learned person, very few know what it is, and explanation takes too long ?

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Either you are a genius or I'm stupid, or maybe both are true!  I did what you said above and it fits perfectly!  Thanks so much!  Marc.

Could you send a picture of your final setup please?

I remember the days, 1980s in San Diego, when many of these older cars were still parked on the streets in older neighborhoods.  I remember there was a 1940 LaSalle parked just a block or two away from me right on the street!  I remember it was a big, long sedan.  Wish I had taken a pic or two of it.  Those were the days my friend, we'd thought they'd never end!  

These days you hardly see a car from the 2000s let alone 1980s. 

people held onto their car much longer up until the 90s, then somehow cars turnover every 10 years . 

I was on a long road trip recently, and you hardly see any cars older than 10 years. 

muscle car restorations are most common older restoration. Pre and post war almost never outside of parades.

Come to downtown Raleigh most days of the week, and you’ll spot at least one 1948 vintage Chrysler out and about.

Edited by wagoneer

47 minutes ago, wagoneer said:

These days you hardly see a car from the 2000s let alone 1980s. 

people held onto their car much longer up until the 90s, then somehow cars turnover every 10 years . 

I was on a long road trip recently, and you hardly see any cars older than 10 years. 

muscle car restorations are most common older restoration. Pre and post war almost never outside of parades.

Come to downtown Raleigh most days of the week, and you’ll spot at least one 1948 vintage Chrysler out and about.

Depends on where you are. Still a pretty fair number of cars from 15 and 20 years ago on the streets in my town.

9 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Tod, Are you talking about Spanish Village in San Clemente, which says closed on the Google map?

“Spanish Village by the Sea” is the nickname for the whole city of San Clemente. There might be a place called Spanish Village in town but I haven’t heard of it.

The big industry in the city is tourism, especially surfing. A lot of the surfing community goes for older vehicles. I am a short walk from a couple of the well known surfing breaks so I see a bunch of the vehicles they use. A bunch of the older vehicles are 80's and newer American vans (cheap, will hold several surfboards, and they can camp in them). But there are even a number of original VW Type 2 microbuses and a bunch of Type 1 Beetles still on the road here.

12 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

I know of a 40 convertible in Thetford Mines northern QC. I wish it was in the budget! You have some boss rides there man!

LaSalle ended in 1940. Convertibles are rare. Grab one if you can.

1941-42 LaSalle became the shorter Cadillac Series 61. 

Don't know about "boss", but it pleases me no other similar models at rallies. Thanks

@MarcDeSoto  send you a PM

Edited by chrysler1941