1938 Dodge Business Coupe trunk emblem

Mel

After a 2 year process doing body work on the 1938 Dodge Business Coupe, it is finally getting to the painting stage.  The work was intended to keep the car as original to stock as possible, including ordering all new period correct - colour correct- cloth wiring and other exact parts (as much as possible).   However, the exact location for the trunk lid emblem is a bit elusive.   I do not have holes in the trunk lid itself, so it is unclear how it was originally attached.  The emblem I have is correct and has two pins that go through the trunk lid, so it appears that I will be drilling a couple holes.  

Any my suggestions on the exact location?

thanks for the tips.

Just a guess but if your car doesn't have the holes then unless they have been welded up placing an emblem on your car makes it not original..........I can't help re the location apart from generally centrally located but as my car has its original emblem and I like it well then drill a couple of holes and originality be damned...........lol.........in all seriousness...........welcome to the forum........regards from Oz........andyd 

P1000671.JPG

Mi Mel & welcome to the site!

If your emblem mounts with pins, then it must be held on with either barrel clips or push on types. You may be able to see where these mounting holes are situated from the back of the trunk lid. This would be more likely if they used a push on clip. M

Just google 1938 Dodge business coupe. There are a couple that show the trunk. This was one. The other I saw showed the emblem in the same place. Look on the inside of your trunk for filled-in holes. Your car would have had a trunk emblem originally. 

CDB35B1E-AF98-4B89-8C7D-5D29DB745597.jpeg.38f69976f294c2f4c8e52495008a82b0.jpeg

Edit.........and the other. 

8712C01F-87A7-40A1-9BD2-B9A82934B385.jpeg.8836c8c12c70fade147e41e53d991a50.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.  My car is similar to the one that Robert KB posted.   There are no holes, but there are not many options for the emblem given the cross bracing inside the trunk.   So it will be what it will be, and I may be off by a couple mm but that’s life I guess.  Your posts aware greatly appreciated.  The car is getting closer to my reassembling it.   ?

EE69348A-779A-4760-8721-71E9428A8FB6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you got a pic of the inside or outside of your coupes trunk lid?........your car must have been a Monday build that the worker forgot to install an emblem on.......I've not seen a mopar from this perios that didn't have the emblem on the trunk........or at least the holes where it used to be...........andyd 

On 4/11/2021 at 1:14 AM, RobertKB said:

Just google 1938 Dodge business coupe. There are a couple that show the trunk. This was one. The other I saw showed the emblem in the same place. Look on the inside of your trunk for filled-in holes. Your car would have had a trunk emblem originally. 

CDB35B1E-AF98-4B89-8C7D-5D29DB745597.jpeg.38f69976f294c2f4c8e52495008a82b0.jpeg

Edit.........and the other. 

8712C01F-87A7-40A1-9BD2-B9A82934B385.jpeg.8836c8c12c70fade147e41e53d991a50.jpeg

Stumbled at your 2 photos. Amazing how elegant design these MoPar had back then. The black one with fitted with correct wheels brings it's stylish Art Deco design flow with harmony. Sorry I'm not so good with words ;)

The Marron the small fat wheels looks like a girl lifting her skirt while tip toing across a puddle.