Replacement Fuel Tank

rugbyjon112

1 hour ago, rugbyjon112 said:

Ratbaily, did you install it yet? Was there any modification required? Do you have the website info for Vans?

No mods required for the Vans tank in my '48 P15. The tank doesn't have the built-in filter like the original tank so be sure you install a filter in the fuel line near the tank. A great feature is that it doesn't require the funky little ferrule at the fuel line fitting, the tank fitting is just a conventional 1/8" NPT (pipe) thread.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rugbyjon112 said:

Ratbaily, did you install it yet? Was there any modification required? Do you have the website info for Vans?

Nope, not yet. I really just gave it a once over, but it looks pretty darn identical, down to the angle of the filler tube, pinches in the seam where the straps go, and location of all the beads. By the way, my car is a '48 DeSoto, so not sure about the specifics for a '47 Plymouth---they're listed as fitting all Mopars 41-48. Sam Buchanan, glad to hear about not needing the ferrule. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-Chrysler-Dodge-Desoto-Plymouth-Gas-Fuel-Tank-NEW/401737879611

Treat yourself to a new sender while you're at it...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-Chrysler-Dodge-Desoto-Plymouth-Gas-Fuel-Tank-NEW/401737879611

Edited by ratbailey

The only mod on my new tank was to install the breather tube from the old tank. It was as easy as drilling a hole in the right spot pasting it up and soldering it on. Many replacement tanks do not come with the breather tube. The breather tube on your old tank is simply soldered on. M

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

The only mod on my new tank was to install the breather tube from the old tank. It was as easy as drilling a hole in the right spot pasting it up and soldering it on. Many replacement tanks do not come with the breather tube. The breather tube on your old tank is simply soldered on. M

Or use a vented cap.

7 hours ago, Marcel Backs said:

There doesn't appear to be a breather tube on my '48 originally. 

Edited by ratbailey

lol @ funky little ferrule

Breather tube will let you fill tank quicker. I'm thinking of getting roll over valve, these have 2 functions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-NPT-Pipe-Thread-Brass-Fuel-Gas-Tank-Roll-Over-Safety-Vent-Valve-Rollover/361554868881?epid=1823689111&hash=item542e597a91:g:O5IAAOSwpcxbOZ1c

• Thanks 1

Cap must to be vented.

• Thanks 1

There should be a small breather hole on the inside of the cap. This is the same set up as on my 39 bow tie. I purchased a vented cap when I put a new fuel tank in. In order to use the original un vented locking gas cap on the dodge, me and my friend had to solder the tube from the old tank onto the new one since I could not find a replacement tank with that feature. M

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

lol @ funky little ferrule

Breather tube will let you fill tank quicker. I'm thinking of getting roll over valve, these have 2 functions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-NPT-Pipe-Thread-Brass-Fuel-Gas-Tank-Roll-Over-Safety-Vent-Valve-Rollover/361554868881?epid=1823689111&hash=item542e597a91:g:O5IAAOSwpcxbOZ1c

Huh? A breather tube will vent faster than that big ol'  tank filler tube on our old Mopars? Well...maybe for NASCAR.  ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rugbyjon112 said:

Marcel, there wasn’t a breather tube on my original tank either. And the cap isn’t vented as far as I can tell. 

The cap is vented. The vents are tiny holes in the inner part of the cap that vent to little slots on the outer edge of the cap. If you are having fuel flow problems, make sure these vents are open, they are easy to overlook.

fuel-cap-1.jpg.017d9e6384c16b189c471bc92062c2bb.jpg

fuel-cap-2.thumb.jpg.9e990276a54881cd4d123163f05c311f.jpg

Or, if you want to use a non-vented cap you can add a small hole in the filler neck for venting.

fuel-cap-3.jpg.46f54a1126a354cb00c91f6196e55dd8.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 2

This is the set up for the D14 business coupe. The stock breather tube has an iron boss on it. This is where you get a surface to bond, seal and provide strength to where the tube fits onto the tank. Notice the acid soldering paste will cause surface oxidization on the steel line and boss pretty quickly which is something I need to clean up.

579045CF-61EB-453B-9530-D67B93E1885D.jpeg

5B72359E-07C2-481D-B27E-EC1BBF4E9882.jpeg

34F6227C-243B-4428-9676-5F83320BEE4D.jpeg