Back up light switch 48 Dodge

Ed McDermott

Looking for the back up light switch? A dealer installed option at the time.

I have replaced the  light bulb and wiring from under the dash to the back-up light.  If I touch the + 6 volts (negative ground) the the back up light, it works works fine , but I cannot find a wire or switch to energize the light when in reverse.  I have attached a photo of the gear selection mechanism under the hood.  I have a suspicion that a switch was or should be mounted there or on the transmission (fluid drive) but cannot find anything.   Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

Ed

back up switch.jpg

Which transmission do you have?  I believe there is a block off fitting that gets replaced with a switch on the transmission.  Then you power that switch with a line from the acc terminal of the IGN switch so the light will be off with IGN off so if left in reverse you won't kill the battery.

Edited by greg g

17 minutes ago, greg g said:

Fluid drive is not the transmission. Dodge has either a three speed manual or a semi automatic transmission powered through a fluid coupling with a clutch pedal with either one.

Chrysler Corporation's advertisements back then also added to this confusion. 

1 minute ago, Doug&Deb said:

My D24 had a switch under the dash to manually turn on the backup lights. I’m not aware of a factory switch. 

My 41 also has a manual switch but a twist knob. (don't know if this is even a word ?

Anyway there was a thread last year regarding the different brackets for backup switch. I can post my photo again if any interest.

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

My 41 also has a manual switch but a twist knob. (don't know if this is even a word ?

Anyway there was a thread last year regarding the different brackets for backup switch. I can post my photo again if any interest.

This maybe helpful as I have a black round (maybe a switch) with a fuse in it mounted to the base (bottom) of the dash but does not seem to work.  I will check it out.

Thanks

Ed

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Please do

Thanks

Ed