1940 dodge wiper motor

Robbie 223

This is a 2 speed 1940 dodge wiper motor which means you likely have a deluxe model. Is your car a D14 American or a D15 Canadian built car ? This is a fairly rare option since many had the vacum wipers. The wiper motor is activated by a off/low/high speed 3 position switch. If you will be going 12 volt, you can get a complete kit with motor and all. You can also get a 12v to 6v converter to use the original motor you have pictured. If using the original motor, it may need a rebuild, so the new 12v conversion may be a better option. Before taking on a 12v conversion, make sure your wiring is in good enough condition to do so. I have found that parts for a 1940 Dodge electric wiper system are a challenge to obtain. BTW Welcome to the site. M

PS checked your profile your car is made in Detroit. I am restoring the same model. 

Edited by Marcel Backs
Added a ps

according to my autolite catalog 1940 dodge d14, used the autolite wipermotor EWB-4001.  On the motor where the wires connect it should be labeled  with the letters A, B, C and maybe D.

You will then go to your service manual that has the wire schematic on the wiper switch there are the same letters. So a wire will run from post a on the switch to the connection marked A on the wiper motor and the same with the rest of the wires B to B , C to C etc. This is how it is done on my 39 desoto.  I also have the autolite catalog that lists all of the specific components for electrical parts dist, wiper motor, horn etc this is on CD format. I f interested than contact me.  Great reference to have when  looking or verifying parts on your car.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com 

After i converted my 1940 Dodge to 12volts & V8 power I kept the original Oz single speed electric wiper and ran a voltage resister inline to it, it worked fine but the tiny splined washers that held the wiper arms on had had enough and all spares I had were stripped so I bit the bullet and replaced the wiper and associated wiper "gearboxes" with one from a BMC car, a 12 volt cable wiper which I mounted between the glove box and the cowl side........its been there for near enough to 40 yrs, it works fine.......recently replaced these wiper arms & blades with a nice polished stainless pair from Newport engineering in the US.........also note the centre divider.......... thats my home made effort of 45 yrs ago made of brass bar and rod soldered together & chromed, no more festered pimply divider for me...........lol............andyd      

Wscreen 6.jpg

Wscreen 4.jpg

If you don't have speed choices on your wiper, a 12v system and 6v wiper motor, the solution is to use a PMW module. Same solution for heat blower. ?

Installed one from eBay on a friends Buick for his under seat heater fans.

Pulse Width Module works by chopping 12v DC into square pulses. Motor speed can be regulated with a potentiometer or resistors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30A-PWM-Motor-Speed-Controller-Module-Dimmer-Current-Regulator-Display-DC6-60V/223574496606?hash=item340e14155e:g:3K0AAOSwdAJdHLig

P.S. If any interest, there also a solution for installing Intermittent Wipers to 6v ?

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 2