spark plug wire type

tayto

Hi all, working on a Canadian 1950 Dodge D34. Spark plug wires look 40+ years old and are in need of replacement. I have made spark plug wire sets for HEI setups before. Done some searching here and it seems to avoid carbon wires and use copper core wires. I have found most of what I need at Napa, however they have no copper core spark plug wire nation wide. They do have 7mm spark plug wire with a "tinned metallic" core (http://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL734803). Is this OK to use? If not I can get 7mm stranded copper core spark plug wire from an aircraft parts supplier: http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/eppages/spkplugwire.php

Thanks.

Edited by tayto

unfortunately don't have a store like that around where I live. NAPA is the only parts supplier that carries spark plug stuff, and even then it is limited. I'm surprised I found what i did. Best bet is ordering online for most things. 

Tayto, I don't think you can use anything but suppression core wires on HEI, if your using points any thing will work.

As far as aircraft spruce, I'm an aircraft mechanic and instructor. I wouldn't use aircraft plug wires.

Just my thoughts friend.

Vince

• Like 1

While I would normally agree, these are for the rotax. Which I don't really considered an aircraft engine, even though it powers ultralights. I use to be an aircraft mechanic for helicopters but changed careers over a decade ago. The wage was poor and my heart was never really into aviation. Got to see a lot of unpopulated places in the bush and alot of the methods I still use and apply today. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My copper core spark plug wire came yesterday and I got the plug wires completed. I opted to put 90* boots on the plug side mainly to protect myself when working under the hood with engine running. Thought I was one step closer to getting it running,but tonight while pulling the distributor I broke one of the cap hold down springs/retainer/clip. Anyone know if these are reproduced or if another distributor's can be used?

IMG_20210420_182724_8.jpg

Edited by tayto