Finally removed 48 DeSoto body from chassis!

MarcDeSoto

This is the way it was described to me by some old school restorers. So ????
PS I think they refer to it as this since the finish is as tough a that on a gun body. So this reference may very well be colloquial. BTW Marc, Chrysler Canada DID use lacquer on pre ww2 cars and enamel on trucks. This may be different on USA built. So don’t pull the trigger so fast, and smile. This is one of those miraculous knowledge gaining moments LOLOL! M

Edited by Marcel Backs
More info

i have no knowledge of paint, but removing engine color from my Cadillac motor was a struggle. Wire brush on angle grinder and ultrasonic bath couldn't remove it in some areas. I guess color was burned in. It took 3 days and my body was covered in steel needle missiles........

Oh wait, am I changing subject again? ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

i have no knowledge of paint, but removing engine color from my Cadillac motor was a struggle. Wire brush on angle grinder and ultrasonic bath couldn't remove it in some areas. I guess color was burned in.

I figure if paint is that hard to remove it’s not ever going to come off. At that point I just prime and paint over it. 

• Like 1

Yes, you need to use common sense and be careful with lead but sometimes I think we go a bit overboard.

My Dad told me of playing with lead soldiers painted with lead based paint when he was a child living in England.  He used to suck on them too. He died two years ago at the grand old age of 99 after practicing medicine for nearly 50 years. No lead poisoning involved. 

Common sense sometime appears to be a disappearing human trait. Certainly, if stripping large quantities of lead paint wear appropriate apparatus but otherwise use common sense. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1