1936 Desoto Airstream S1

Petermarc

I'm restoring a 36' Desoto Airstream that sat in a field for a long time. I'm going to restore this car from the ground up. Starting with the engine because I was told by the previous owner that the last time it was started was in the 90's so why not give it a shot. In checking out the wiring it had been chewed up by every critter that happened to walk or crawled by. I think some had lived in the car at one time or another. My question to all is where can I acquire an exact wiring diagram of the car? 

First thing is that you should purchase the service manual and parts manual for the car. They are on Ebay and a reprint is just fine. Inside there isa diaghram of the wireing setup for the S1 which is the Airstream Version and the S2 is the Airflow version.

I can help with a 1936-42 Desoto Master Parts Book. This has been scanned to Cd.

I own a 1939 Desoto Sedan.  I live near Valley Forge Pa which is near Philadelphia.

Where are you located.  Have you ever restored an Antique car. Doyou have any major swap meets in your area?

My email is Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich Hartung

cell 484-431-8157

Home 610-630-9188

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I never restored a car I did my truck a 1969 Chevrolet 1/2 ton C-10. The 36' Desoto I started to work on recently. I'm going to order the service and parts manual that you mentioned from Ebay.  Are you restoring the 1939 Desoto sedan?

Here is my '36 Chrysler Airstream, wouldn't be too different to the Desoto. We like pictures.

batch_P4030506.jpg.4db254224ac221063e30ffdf0b636db9.jpgbatch_P2200455.jpg.fa1321bb5dc83408636f2247081d52d7.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Petermarc said:

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I never restored a car I did my truck a 1969 Chevrolet 1/2 ton C-10. The 36' Desoto I started to work on recently. I'm going to order the service and parts manual that you mentioned from Ebay.  Are you restoring the 1939 Desoto sedan?

Peter attached is a picture of my 39 Desoto.  I also have many cross reference manuals and catalogs that list the various components from the major manufacturers  Send me you email address mine is Desoto1939@aol.com

desoto2.jpg

IMG_2929.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First item of electrical system if stock is it is 6 volt positive ground. 2nd item is 6v needs minimum 0 gauge primary battery cables. 3rd item is how the starter is actuated.  Foot switch or IGN switch and starter button to a solenoid. 4th is where is the coil?  Mounted on the engine or through the firewall.?  If the engine is not seized,  a couple lengths of wire and some alligator clips will get you setup for trying to start it.

Hi Rich, 

That is a beautiful car. I'm almost ashamed to send a picture of mine. Don't laugh too hard. My thinking is that my Desoto deserves a second chance and I'm going to give it that chance. As you can see it is stock and yes the coil is mounted on the firewall and it is a foot switch. I'm waiting for a carburetor rebuild kit, when I got the car home one of the first things I did was look at the carburetor. It was filled with dirt, I think something used to live in it. From Ebay I purchased a rebuilt distributor with new points already in it, new cap, rotor, wires and plugs. I'm going to follow all those instructions you gave me and see what happens. 

63744907917__3C8CEB85-E825-4253-B8A9-FDB65E8F43F3.jpg

• Like 6

You've found a nice car to work on. Not too many around. I took a photo of this survivor at a show and shine in Great Falls several years ago...?

485254522_1936DeSoto-GreatFallsMontana.jpg.f7569236698ce18cc6876d3325d2ebc5.jpg

Hello Petermarc and welcome to the forum. Your DeSoto looks to have plenty of potential for a nice restoration. I have seen cars in much worse condition than your car appears to be in that were brought back to fine running and driving cars. Best of luck to you.

John R

• Thanks 1

Hi Petermarc, This is the wiring diagram for your car...

587620472_1936DeSotoS1WiringDiagram.jpg.e9f0c1025e54b4dce16f664b0a3e7463.jpg

Edited by T120

56 minutes ago, T120 said:

Hi Petermarc, This is the wiring diagram for your car...

Love these old diagrams. They even show rotation of windings in generator, relay and coils. Cool

By the way these 3 brush generators can easily be modified to 2 brush model for higher Amp output.

Connecting ground brush to third brush wiring. For regulator you need the later 3 relay model.

21 hours ago, Petermarc said:

Hi Rich, 

That is a beautiful car. I'm almost ashamed to send a picture of mine. Don't laugh too hard. My thinking is that my Desoto deserves a second chance and I'm going to give it that chance. As you can see it is stock and yes the coil is mounted on the firewall and it is a foot switch. I'm waiting for a carburetor rebuild kit, when I got the car home one of the first things I did was look at the carburetor. It was filled with dirt, I think something used to live in it. From Ebay I purchased a rebuilt distributor with new points already in it, new cap, rotor, wires and plugs. I'm going to follow all those instructions you gave me and see what happens. 

63744907917__3C8CEB85-E825-4253-B8A9-FDB65E8F43F3.jpg

That is a great looking project. You are going to enjoy bringing it back to life. More pictures are always welcome also. We love pictures!

Edited by RobertKB

I know the desoto model was a step down from the chrysler airstream but I would have thought they would have kept the push button start on the desoto version.

55 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is odd to see the over riders placed behind the bumper bar.....yes I know they are as many pictured as are many on the internet, just still odd to see them mounted as such...unique to be sure.

I just looked in the Chrysler 1924-1990 published by the Krause Company. And they have pictures of the 37 Desoto with the bumper guards in front of the bumper and also mounted behind the bumper.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Petermarc, Your 1936 DeSoto S1 appears to be the Custom model which had a little extra bling versus the lower priced Deluxe model, and also came with a split windshield rather than a one piece windshield,(except for the convertible). The running lights on the front fenders of your car are a nice option...A word of caution on the unique vent windows on the driver and passenger doors, they retract down into the door as a single unit with the window and must be locked in place,otherwise they will jam in the track and are difficult to release... Hope to see more photos of the car.?

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is odd to see the over riders placed behind the bumper bar.....yes I know they are as many pictured as are many on the internet, just still odd to see them mounted as such...unique to be sure.

Looking through Don Butler’s book it appears the cars with smooth bumpers had them mounted on the front while the fluted bumpers had them on the back.