Oil pan Gasket

Cannuck

Hi I have a question about changing the oil pan gasket on my D25.

I noticed that at the rear of the oil pan there seems like there is a piece of leather .

My question is does that come with the new gasket or does it even need to be changed?

I am assuming that its leather. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks John

that should be a cork gasket. try Andy Bernbaum

often the gasket material will over lap and is not trimmed

they can be felt as well and feel like leather

Edited by michaelmarks697@yahoo.com
speling

Be sure to read service manual before installing gasket. The end rails made from cork are supposed to sit above the edge of the pan by 1/8 or 1/4 inch on each end - something like that. Those ends get squished into the end of the pan and the block to create a positive seal.

• Like 1

I think I know what you are talking about.  This thing is fastened to the clutch pan and not the oil pan.  I found the same thing on my 47 Plymouth.  I had never found one on any other Plymouth I had owned.  The only reason I could think of that it was for was dust and dirt protection.  Mine looked like felt to me , so I bought some 1/4inch by 1 inch felt and riveted on.  I am still not sure what it is for but have had no problems.  

22 minutes ago, Billy said:

I think I know what you are talking about.  This thing is fastened to the clutch pan and not the oil pan.  I found the same thing on my 47 Plymouth.  I had never found one on any other Plymouth I had owned.  The only reason I could think of that it was for was dust and dirt protection.  Mine looked like felt to me , so I bought some 1/4inch by 1 inch felt and riveted on.  I am still not sure what it is for but have had no problems.  

No. That felt dust seal is different.

The oil pan gasket set has four pieces: Two sides and two ends. The ends go into channels at and the ends of those two gaskets stand proud of the pan when you install it. If you trim them flush as seems reasonable then you won't get it to seal properly.

I had little or no trouble removing my oil pan .Had more trouble removing the clutch inspection plate.

Also ran into trouble again ordering parts for my dodge as its Canadian built and they sent me the wrong part I tried to explain to them the difference between Canadian and American build autos . Now they are refusing to reimburse me saying it was my fault.

It was I should have ordered from my go to American parts store instead of local.

3 hours ago, Cannuck said:

I had little or no trouble removing my oil pan .Had more trouble removing the clutch inspection plate.

Also ran into trouble again ordering parts for my dodge as its Canadian built and they sent me the wrong part I tried to explain to them the difference between Canadian and American build autos . Now they are refusing to reimburse me saying it was my fault.

It was I should have ordered from my go to American parts store instead of local.

So you're stuck with a 23" gasket instead of a 25" ?

I never buy these. Instead get a roll of cork sheet and make them. Using pan as a template and hole punch. Much cheaper and faster.

Before installing, moist cork with oil. Put very thin coat of silicone on pan but not engine. This way next time you remove pan, gasket stays on pan and reusable.  Tighten only 15 lbs as per manual.

Edited by chrysler1941
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrysler1941 said:

So you're stuck with a 23" gasket instead of a 25" ?

I never buy these. Instead get a roll of cork sheet and make them. Using pan as a template and hole punch. Much cheaper and faster.

Before installing, moist cork with oil. Put very thin coat of silicone on pan but not engine. This way next time you remove pan, gasket stays on pan and reusable.  Tighten only 15 lbs as per manual.

Anybody ever try just gasket maker, like 'the right stuff', without gaskets at all?  Lots of newer engines do that successfully.  I'm just not sure about the cork end gaskets.

18 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Anybody ever try just gasket maker, like 'the right stuff', without gaskets at all?  Lots of newer engines do that successfully.  I'm just not sure about the cork end gaskets.

seems you trust the modern gasket compound....I cannot see any concern here with a proper gasket and just 'tweak' the seams with your favorite gasket maker compound.....all a gasket does is allow seal for not matched surfaces....if your pan is that out of whack, try to reshape it and fit it dry to inspect your progress...once you got that  right, any gasket set will do the trick and again, just tweak the joints with compound.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

seems you trust the modern gasket compound....I cannot see any concern here with a proper gasket and just 'tweak' the seams with your favorite gasket maker compound.....all a gasket does is allow seal for not matched surfaces....if your pan is that out of whack, try to reshape it and fit it dry to inspect your progress...once you got that  right, any gasket set will do the trick and again, just tweak the joints with compound.

Not an issue of leaks, or difficulty with installing the old way.  It's just very convenient to not have to go the parts store or order stuff.  I always have 'the right stuff' on hand.  It is a little expensive but really works.  At least where I've used it.

Cannuck, I replaced the oil pan gasket on my D25. I bought the gasket set at the local NAPA store. No problem with the fit. Follow the installation directions. As Tod mentioned, - It's important that the end pieces are not trimmed.

I tried our local NAPA store it was out of stock, wouldn't be in stock till the end of the month.