Generator Issues

msarnold1990

Hi All,

I installed a restored generator and seem to be having some issues. I drove all over yesterday and it seemed fine.  However at night when I was using my lights, it was drawing a lot of power and not getting back to zero on the ammeter. 

It currently sits right below zero when I am idling and does not move at all when I rev the engine in idle.  

I believe I polarized the generator correctly, using a wire to touch the Bat terminal to the Arm terminal briefly and saw a few sparks.  

Am I missing something? Could my battery be going? 

PXL_20210405_014755227_compress23.jpg

My Plymouth was doing very similar thing.

Is your voltage regulator a new replacement or original?

I just had my generator rebuilt and found out from the machinist who did the work that the replacement regulators are not adjust properly out of the box. The output voltage might be on the low side and/or the the "kick in and out" amperage is set too high/low respectively. The gaps on the points in the voltage regulator need to be adjusted to corrects these issues. It also need to be at operating temperature and the metal cover need to be on to get accurate measurements. This happen to be my case. The output voltage when cold was 7.8 volts, when warm was only 6.6-6.8 volts and the generator did not "kicked in" until the draws was over 12 amps.  He adjusted it so the output voltage is now around 7.6 volts and "kicks in" around 1.0-2.0 amps (I think can't quite remember the new amperage setting). He even had it set up on the test stand with an NOS ammeter and load tester to show that everything works good.  

P07C01F28-Auto-Lite-Heavy-Duty-Regulator-Adjustments.jpg.951412b614ff5f8f5635d2bc5101d6fa.jpg

Edited by ccudahy
  • Like 1

Not good.

Try this. Turn of lights, radio and other ACC. Disconnect Field terminal from generator. Let engine idle.

Have someone watch the amp gauge.

Connect field terminal to ground and rev up slowly. Gauge should go to + side. 

A better way is to measure the A terminal while revving. Will show up to 40volts !

Do not rev it for too long.

If gauge moves to plus, your generator is ok. I

f no movement, generator is bad

19 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Not good.

Try this. Turn of lights, radio and other ACC. Disconnect Field terminal from generator. Let engine idle.

Have someone watch the amp gauge.

Connect field terminal to ground and rev up slowly. Gauge should go to + side. 

A better way is to measure the A terminal while revving. Will show up to 40volts !

Do not rev it for too long.

If gauge moves to plus, your generator is ok. I

f no movement, generator is bad

Sorry for so many questions. I'm brand new to all of this. Which terminal is the field terminal on the generator? And it's okay to remove it while the generator is running? 

And by "connecting the field terminal to ground" what does that mean? Taking that field terminal and grounding it on the generator with a clamp?" 

The smaller diameter terminal is the field.  Make a jumper wire. Do a 6ft length of 12 gauge wire.  Put an insulated alligator clips on the ends.  Hook one clamp to the Gen terminal and the other end to anywhere on the block or to the ground battery cable.  In this case it bypasses the cutout circuit in the VR causing the Gen to produce at Max output.  The jumper makes a handy thing in your tool box for checking grounds, bypassing suspect switches or circuits. The all purpose tool for trouble shooting electrical Gremlins.

14 hours ago, msarnold1990 said:

The test did not work. But I used a voltmeter on the generator while running. It seems to be putting out 1.7 Volts, which is definitely out of range.  My guess is the voltage regulator needs adjustment. 

Try and test it again. This test  method is over 100 years old. 

This time remove both wirings on generator. Ground Field terminal (small stud) and measure volts DC at A (the bigger stud) to ground.