A person’s passion...1938 Plymouth

keithb7

I saw this on-line classified ad. Someone poured a ton of time, passion and money into this 1938 Plymouth.  The situation could likely be the result of someone passing. Sadly there are some clues. 

Zero information is listed in the ad. Yet a mile long list is easily seen.  A woman’s name and phone number to contact is listed.  Very low asking price. I’ve this same car for sale for some time. The original price was a lot higher. 

Personally I am not a fan of hot-rodding an old Mopar. The color isn’t for me. I see this car as a deal for someone into the hot-rod scene.  If my guess is correct on the liquidation of this car, it is a sad situation.  Someone will be getting a heck of a price on a car. Shown is the Canadian price. The US asking price is about $11,000.

Not sure why I have mixed reservations about this one. I guess I hate to see a guy’s dreams and passion on the chopping block. The asking price is pittance compared to the skill and money invested to build this car. 

DB0DB2EC-A360-4E9D-A4EC-E62B246E07E1.jpeg

05BB1403-FF16-4779-9422-E5E30053AF64.jpeg

6A5BE26C-BFAC-4EAB-88F3-9E7759B7C4CA.jpeg

1A1F2CBA-2E08-4ED3-92E1-ADD5C4F35B3D.jpeg

That looks like a good deal on the car. IMO it would be more attractive in almost any other color but that's only paint. Column shift would suit the car better, too. It's a great example of rebuilt vintage cars. With rare exceptions you can always buy cheaper than you can build. We all get to enjoy our prized possessions until it's time for them, or us; to move on. 

"Art is long, and time is fleeting" HW Longfellow

Perfect candidate to turn into a old taxi in appearance. The major color is done!

Anyone?

DJ

Keith, The Plymouth looks pretty good. I'm curious as to the difficulty in getting the Out of Province inspection done for registration in B.C. for cars that have sub frame modifications... Here in Alberta, some shops will refuse to accept vehicles with frame modifications. I've had a couple of vehicles that have had the required OOP inspection for registration here in Alberta ,however they were stock...

Yes Keith. I understand you. Probably be mine one day. But really that is what all life is about. All of us have things  and times in our lives when we put our hearts and souls into it. Could be a car, a garden,  a job, a relationship......a cause.......any sort of dream. When it is like this car it leaves a story for someone to see and notice. Most times just a few people you know remember your hope's, dreams and passions. And that also fades pretty quickly too. One of the tragedies and realities of being a human I suppose.

Mack and Longfellow are on the money....

"Art is long, and time is fleeting" HW Longfellow .

Edited by sidevalvepete
  • Like 1

I realize that car was someone’s dream  but nightmares are dreams, too. Bad colour, ugly wheels, no bumpers, unpleasant looking interior, painted hood ornament, and no flathead six. Sorry, but you would have to pay me to take that car. Just my caustic opinion.........but there is likely a buyer out there. 

Keith, I would take your ‘38 Plymouth in a heartbeat over that yellow/orange creation......... remember Frankenstein was a creation, too. 

Edited by RobertKB

3 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Keith, I would take your ‘38 Plymouth in a heartbeat over that yellow/orange creation......... remember Frankenstein was a creation, too. 

Make no mistake, I prefer closer to stock. I have no interest in owning that Plymouth.

I have a pretty darn good idea what it would cost take any car to that level. Pretty easy to spend $30K doing most of the work yourself.  Dropping it off a hot-rod shop and asking them to go for it and build your dream car? Whew man! Double that and then some.  Although the restorer did seem to cut corners, at least by not re-chroming the hood ornament. Where else? Who knows. Those wheels are gawd awful I agree!

Sad that is will turn out $11K or less when sold. I am well aware of situations like this. I just hate to see it no matter how unattractive or undesirable the car is to you or I.

I have an alert set up on Kijiji. If any 1938 Plymouth, anywhere in Canada is posted for sale, I get notified.  That's how I knew of this one for sale in New Brunswick. Most of last year it was listed for sale,  then lately the reduced sell price. 

I know more was invested in it than they will ever get, but that is the nature of our hobby.  i know I will never get what I am spending if I sold it.  But i didn;t do it for that.  After all I could have spent it on beer and got even less back, lol.

Nice car.  Oddly enough my local bank called to ask me if I needed a loan for anything this morning.  ?