48 Desoto Trim 5/16

Frank Gooz

I need some help. How do the small clips that hold the 5/16 wide S.S. trim come off?  Do any of you have a source for these?

I do not believe I will get these off in one piece without help, even with help? very rusty.

Thanks to all

Frank

Restoration Specialties have a wide selection of original style clips for most old Mopars. Just google them and look at their catalogue. Very pleasant to deal with as well. I have no connection to them except for being a happy customer. 

I just got an entire set of the trim, which for my 1948 Suburban is unique do to the larger rear door, but I have not unwrapped them yet.

I have never taken them off my '48, but I will in the next year or so when I paint the car. In the photos it looks like there is a "key" connector and each section can come "in" to pull them off. In the master parts book it only shows SIX (6) clips which would mean the "key" connector one for each of the six trim parts. I do not think they have clips but fit the body at the window.

Now if you are talking about the very thin little bead trim that runs the entire length the odd thing is it is not shown in my 1946 to 1948 Master parts book for Desoto. It is called the "belt reveal molding" and in the master parts book says it is only on cars with two tone paint jobs like the Desoto Suburban.

Post a photo and we can comment better...

Frank. If you are using your phone to take the photos and post try this.....

1. Take your photos

2. Open your gallery

3. Select the photos you want to post.

4. "Share" or "Send" them to yourself. To your text number, email or WhatsApp.

5. Open the place you sent them to.

6. Select the pictures and "Save" them.

Doing this saves them in your files in a much smaller size but still with good clarity. Sounds complicated but easy to get used to.

......of course if you're not using your phone then this is of no help to you...?

Oh, those clips...

As far as I can tell, looking at a Suburban in a bone yard some years back, I would not try to remove them unless I had the interior out and could tap them out from the inside. The odds are that many of them are rusted and if you try to pull them they will break.  At some point, I will have to try and find some.

James

I did battle with those clips on my '41 Plymouth Special Deluxe last year.  The same type of clips was used in two widths on the side of my car, and the thin Special Deluxe upper belt line trim looks the same as what's pictured by Frank and Chrysler1941, above.  If any of the ears are broken off the original clip, it will not hold the trim tightly to the body.  I was able to salvage some  originals,  found a few very pricey NOS clips on ebay, and made up the difference using 1/2" (narrowest I could find) push in nylon clips I also found on  ebay.

I found that the both the original and new steel clips shattered my new paint around the hole when I pressed them onto the body - gee, wonder if that's why there was a rust spot the size of a half dollar at each clip that I had to fix!  Also, the trim would not stay snapped on to a couple of the new clips. Therefore, I decided to use  only the nylon clips to attach the trim.

Using the nylon clips meant changing the order of installation: instead of pressing the steel clips onto the body then snapping the trim over the clips, you first must insert the nylon clips into the trim, space the clips to carefully match the spacing of the holes (start with the end of the trim at a door opening ) then push the trim and clip into the holes.  Do not count on being able to adjust the trim after it is snapped in place - line it up before you start pushing! 

In order to insert the clip I tool a Dremel tool with the cut off wheel and widened the opening on the back of the trim (pick a location at the middle of the trim that is not at a hole in the body!) so that I could insert the clips and slide them into position (see diagram).  Only remove enough stainless steel to just fit the clip into the slot and it won't be seen after the trim is in place.  The clip has a "tail" that acts as a spring to keep the clip tight in the channel of the trim.  Some carving of the nylon with an X-acto might be needed in order for the male end of the clip to fit in the hole in the body.

While admittedly  not "original"  the nylon push in clips are readily available, inexpensive, and do not chip the paint!

IMG_0624.jpg.1abf0ec6a85d0279325be704c7701404.jpg

• Like 1