Something for everybody

Plymouthy Adams

Like most all things, there is a following, you don't have to agree or understand it.  The annual Cushman Club or whatever it is they call themselves is going on now.  They have been in the area some 4 days now.  Heard a dreaded drone coming down the street and in front was a guide on vehicle and about 11 of these obnoxious scoots going by followed by a clean up truck (towing trailer to collected failed units)  Yesterday one was on the road without the power to proceed at speed, struggling against a short and less than steep grade with cars strung out behind him.  This borders being a nuisance and a danger in my opinion.  If I am towing something at lower speed I will pull over many times and lets cars go around me...it is only considerate and safer for the public as many will try to pass in otherwise less than favorable conditions.  Give me my mini bike....almost the same thing....but best part is not allowed on the highway like these slugs.  Going back to  my first statement, I understand the attraction, I disagree on its highway use.  My soap box topic for the day....!!

• Like 2

"Patience is a virtue."  

My dad was the local Cushman desperado when he was in high school.  I've got old photos taken of him, and some he took, while he was galivanting about the southern Illinois countryside in the 50's before I was even a gleam in his eye.  He'll still admit to this day that he didn't have the appropriate license or registration, but knew the backroads well enough to evade the local Constabulary.

Several years ago in Nebraska, we ran across about 40 members of s transcontinental Vespa ride.  Most were kitted out with extra storage bags and bins, some were towing baggage trailers. They were making 45 to 50 mph with a tailwind across the flats of the state.  They had started in Sacramento and headed to Asbury Park on the Jersey shore. Don't know how they got over the mountains but apparently 40 or so prevailed.

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

"Patience is a virtue."  

so everyone has to exercise patience while these guys cause accidents and what not.....problem with the world today...to many ME people....how about exercising some common sense...these dang seniors have been along long enough to know better, before senility set in they were expressing the same concerns as I....I would bust them for impeding the flow of traffic and creating a nuisance in general...if stupidity was against the law, I'd write that on the ticket also....?

• Like 1

I have to agree 100%, if they can not keep up with traffic they need to pull over and allow it to pass. Otherwise they are now a traffic hazard.

I think the old cushman are cool, nothing against them ... I would like to own one.

Same with my old truck if I ever drive it .... it wont keep up with traffic outside of town, I will be pulling over often to let others pass.

Gotta be careful complaining about slow-moving vehicles on the road. There are farmers and Amish to consider, not to mention people driving flathead 6 Mopars. ?

I have a good friend in the motorcycle business who absolutely loves scooters. I think he's owned at least one of every imaginable collectible scooter ever produced.  Here are a couple of pics. The brown one was a really nice Fuji Rabbit. The MotoScoot was still in his shop a few weeks ago although I believe it was sold. One I wish I'd bought from him was a Powell with a 500cc Triumph twin engine. That one would get out of it's own way. ?

MotoScoot.jpg

Scooter.jpg

You can be slow and be safe. Sticking to roads with less traffic, periodic pull offs to allow others to pass, ensuring your machine is road ready, etc... And granted not every scenario is going to allow you to be ideal - but when a whole lot of improperly prepared people gather and make decisions it can make a mess. 

Some of my closest calls have happened when I was operating farm equipment on the road ways.... so I do understand that sometimes you just have to be slow and in the way.... safety on the road is everyone's responsibility. 

• Like 1