Shifting Issue - '48 Dodge D24

msarnold1990

Hi All,

Thanks again for your help with my Generator project. This is my first classic car and I've never tried to fix anything on a car. With your help, I successfully replaced the Generator and now the car is running much better! 

I've been having an issue with second gear on the Fluid Drive, and it's probably my fault.  When I was first learning to drive the car, I thought the car was in reverse, but I believe it was in second and I let the clutch go and it jerked forward violently.  

Anyways, ever since then, Reverse, First and Third are fine, but when I go to second, I can feel the shifter move into position, but the engine just revs and the car doesn't not accelerate.  

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I've adjusted the idle speed, topped off the transmission fluid.  Could it be a Solenoid or a broken linkage? 

Your car shouldn’t jerk at all....the fluid drive absorbs any mistakes.......you can actually put it in third and take off from a dead stop. I would take off the linkage at the tranny then remove the inspection plate then see if there is any damage like a bent shifter fork. Do not drive until you have figured it out.

1 hour ago, msarnold1990 said:

Hi All,

Thanks again for your help with my Generator project. This is my first classic car and I've never tried to fix anything on a car. With your help, I successfully replaced the Generator and now the car is running much better! 

I've been having an issue with second gear on the Fluid Drive, and it's probably my fault.  When I was first learning to drive the car, I thought the car was in reverse, but I believe it was in second and I let the clutch go and it jerked forward violently.  

Anyways, ever since then, Reverse, First and Third are fine, but when I go to second, I can feel the shifter move into position, but the engine just revs and the car doesn't not accelerate.  

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I've adjusted the idle speed, topped off the transmission fluid.  Could it be a Solenoid or a broken linkage? 

I'd bet the lever feeling ok is an adjustment problem.  Releasing the clutch quickly may have shifted the engine on some worn mounts.  Take a look at the rear mounts and if still serviceable, adjust the 2/3rd shift rod for full engagement.  Takes a few minutes, cost nothing and may fix it.

• Like 1

Most likely an issue with the shifting mechanism.  Even with the fluid drive, you can still pop the clutch and make these cars lurch pretty good, (I've done it a few times), but that wouldn't damage the transmission.  Read up on the fluid drive, it's interesting - in loose terms, no mechanical connection between the engine and transmission.  But, if something was loose, or not quite adjusted right in the shift mechanism, that jolt could have knocked it the rest of the way loose, especially if you had a grip on the shift lever.  As noted above, adjust the column shift mechanism.

Suggest you go to allpar.com.  use the search bar and look up semi auto transmission.  These boxes have a low range with two gears, and a high range with two gears.  As designed they are normally operated with high range selected as the general driving gear.  Low range is usually reserved for traction compromised situations or desending steep hills, or pulling your house off it's foundation.  Think of it to the car as granny low gear is to trucks. Not needed for daily driving.

The Imperial Club website has a good section on the semi auto in their repair section including a digitized version of the Chrysler tech training film strip featuring a cartoon helper to point out the highlights.  The  model number for the trans regardless of which brand it is installed in is the M 6.