48 DeSoto wiring diagram blown up

MarcDeSoto

I went to Fed Ex to have my wiring diagram blown up to 18 X 24.  Then I got some colored Sharpie pens to color the wires in the diagram according to their color code.  After that, I put the Egge Machine numbers on the wiring harness onto the correct wires in the diagram.  The shop manual does not include the wiring for the clock, radio, and heater blower motor, but does include the wiring for the hand brake warning light and the back up light.  In addition to the different colors on the wires, Egge Machine put numbers onto most of the wires, which are described in a two sheet list.  Glad I still have that list!  I called Egge and learned that they stopped making wiring harnesses decades ago.  Can't wait to get my DeSoto wired up!  

P1020591.JPG

P1020592.JPG

P1020594.JPG

P1020595.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I am almost into re-wiring my car as well. Your post has some great ideas which will make installation and troubleshooting a lot easier for everyone who is at this stage in their project. All circuits on your 48 will work perfectly with this type of pre-planning. M

• Like 1

I used a harness from Paul Little https://harnessesunlimited.com/ and got a schematic from https://www.classiccarwiring.com/desoto/

Nice big schematic that I stuck it on the wall.

For the 1947 re-wiring I am going modern and custom. The 12 volt conversion, the fuel injection, the electric water pump and radator fans, the electric power steering the AC and everything....

...it will just be less trouble than getting a nice new harness from Paul then cutting it up to make the changes.

James.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:32 AM, chrysler1941 said:

Hers a part of  S-14 showing radio, defroster and clock. If you want the whole page. let me know.

image_2021-03-31_173425.png

Thanks 1941!  I should have checked that myself because I have the shop manual for the S-13, 14, and 15.  I believe the S-14, 1950, will be very similar to my 48 DeSoto.  Looks like the radio is wired to a 14 amp fuse, then goes to the accessory terminal of the ignition switch.  Pretty simple.  I think I will take my 49-51 DeSoto shop manual down to Staples and have the wiring diagram blown up for easy reading.  I just took my 49-51 DeSoto shop manual to Staples and they are blowing up the 1950 and 1951 wiring diagrams to a whopping 24 X 36 inches!  It only cost $8 total!  Marc.

After looking at harnesses unlimited schematic for the 48 DeSoto, it didn't look accurate.  It had eight cylinders and an alternator instead of a generator.  And lines are so close together, it made my eyes tired.  I think I much prefer the original shop manual diagrams.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

After looking at harnesses unlimited schematic for the 48 DeSoto, it didn't look accurate.  It had eight cylinders and an alternator instead of a generator.  And lines are so close together, it made my eyes tired.  I think I much prefer the original shop manual diagrams.  

I did not notice any schematic's at harnesses unlimited website and the online ones at classic wiring are just EXAMPLES not the actual one you will get.  The one I got for the 1949 was exactly like the one in the service manual, just really large, in color and laminated so my dirty hands did not mess with it.

James.

• Like 1

I also purchased a Classic Car Wiring diagram, large format/laminated. Yes, the picture on the site is just an example, they don't want you copying them for free as @James_Douglas has stated. Very nice diagram, would recommend. Here is a picture of mine, Classic Car Wiring vs. Factory diagram, for my Plymouth.

2133017471_wiringdiagram.jpg.8d14a6dedb66fef007b5f7ce13ba13b4.jpg

CLASSIC CAR WIRING DIAGRAM

thumbnail_20210403_084247.jpg.8432a40dc2c40c0b48562997c8904c0a.jpg

FACTORY SHOP MANUAL DIAGRAM

Edited by ccudahy
  • Like 2