Rear shackle bracket aluminum

Mertz

I ordered a passenger side rear shackle bracket from DCM and what I got was an aluminum bracket. Has anyone used the aluminum bracket?  If I do I will need to protect it from the steel frame to prevent electrolysis. Also the tap for the grease fitting does not fit a standard 1/4” grease fitting. 

Stainless Steel? - Unlikely.

Aluminum, that's very strange.

DCM just got back to me. They say it’s a “high strength zinc material”.

Though some Zinc alloys can be very strong, overall stainless steel is stronger. However, zinc is a heavy element, and when alloyed with other metals it provides better corrosion resistance, stability, dimensional strength and impact strength. ... Ultimately, which alloy to use will depend on your casting needs.

They neglected to mention its way cheaper to cast than iron. 
they are also banking on the possibility all you will be hauling is lawn chairs and a cooler. That being said, aluminum /zinc is commonly used in many suspensions in late model vehicles. 

Edited by Tooljunkie

I’m going to use it but I think I’ll order the other side from Roberts. I ordered from DCM because they are quite a bit cheaper for this part. 

I've made parts out of several of the ZAMAK materials family.  Properly designed and used they work well.  But yes, WAY cheaper than cast iron.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, Mertz said:

I’m going to use it but I think I’ll order the other side from Roberts. I ordered from DCM because they are quite a bit cheaper for this part. 

Years ago I ordered rear shackle brackets for my B3B from Roberts and they did not fit.  I'm not sure what year they were for but they definitely weren't for a 51 1/2 ton.  Hopefully you'll have better luck.

35 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

So it's similar to pot metal then?

That doesn't sound like an acceptable material for hanging a leaf spring. Needs to be ductile iron. 

define "pot metal".....

Zamak has some decent properties depending on which version picked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/Grey-Cast-Iron/Zamak-3-ASTM-AG40A-Z33520-Mazak-3-Zinc-Alloy

I always check with Roberts when ordering to make sure I get the right part. I miss ordered once on line. Ever since I’ve been calling in my orders 

1 minute ago, Mertz said:

I always check with Roberts when ordering to make sure I get the right part. I miss ordered once on line. Ever since I’ve been calling in my orders 

This was back before the internet really got started, the order was over the phone.

I have been to Robert's  auto parts went up after work one day ,needed many brake parts and some seals. As I was rattling off parts that  I needed  he was walking around  pulling them off shelves great guy I was very satisfied. 

• Like 1

I have had good experience with them. Calling them and talking about what I need he knows exactly what the part is.   He has on record that I’m working on a 40 Plymouth truck so he won’t let me miss order parts. I only wish he had pictures of all the parts, some don’t have them. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:23 AM, Mertz said:

My cow magnet does not stick to it. 

Was the Cow's tummy full or empty...may have effected the pulling power of the magnet.......?

48D

Edited by 48Dodger

7 hours ago, Mertz said:

I have had good experience with them. Calling them and talking about what I need he knows exactly what the part is.   He has on record that I’m working on a 40 Plymouth truck so he won’t let me miss order parts. I only wish he had pictures of all the parts, some don’t have them. 

My point was I ordered parts from his catalog over the phone for a 51 B3B and the shackle brackets were nowhere near correct.  Over the years I've made many purchases from Roberts, some of the parts were correct and some were not.  I ordered a pair of sun visors that were supposedly for a 51 B3B.  What I received were sun visors for a 50s Chevy.  They are similar but the Chevy visors are a lot longer.  

Maybe things have improved over the years but I've had issues with Roberts and Bernbaum's when it comes to "correct" parts for my truck.  I realize there aren't a lot of Dodge parts that are being reproduced, at least correctly, so it is what it is.  I'm not complaining, it's just buyer beware.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, ggdad1951 said:

I've made parts out of several of the ZAMAK materials family.  Properly designed and used they work well.  But yes, WAY cheaper than cast iron.

I find it odd that they would cast it out of a zinc material - but I suppose anything to save a buck with a high likelihood that it will be perfectly fine as so few people actually use these trucks as trucks. 

Casting iron in house is on my to do list.... :D I'll be making aluminum pours within the next 60 days. Iron is probably a year out. 

I have to say I’m not that confident in the part but it must not have to many problems or they wouldn’t still be selling them. The stuff does mill easily. Boring the holes for 5/8” bolts was pretty easy with a step drill. 7/16” bolts were a bit loose and in the bracket and the frame. 5/8” is just right and a little stronger. 

On 3/31/2021 at 9:45 AM, ggdad1951 said:

define "pot metal".....

Zamak has some decent properties depending on which version picked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/Grey-Cast-Iron/Zamak-3-ASTM-AG40A-Z33520-Mazak-3-Zinc-Alloy

Whatever scraps are thrown into the pot. Melt it down and recycle it! Mostly Zinc, with lead, tin, aluminum, magnesium, cadmium, copper, and iron....

I read that impurities in the earlier days of zinc alloys sometimes led to "zinc pest" which is degradation of the metal by pitting, cracking, and falling apart.