Failed rod bearing

pflaming

Is it possible to put a vehicle on a lift, drain the oil, drop the pan and replace the bearing?  I know that a bad bearing can damage the drive shaft, so, if the shaft is ok, then. . . .

Well probably not the approved method but when I was in High School fifty some years ago I had a 54 Plymouth that had a bad crank. Without enough money or ability to fix it properly I would(when the knocking got bad or twice when it seized) jack it up, pull the pan, take off number five cap, push the piston out of the way, and then clean the journal best I could and replace the bearing. Put it back together and away I went until the next time.  So, yeah you can, but will it be reliable and will you feel comfortable driving it. For me then, sure. Today, not a chance. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

Drop the pan, pull the head & remove the bad rod/piston.

If it is hammered to bad, I once bought a 1949 chebby 1/2 ton with the 216  5cyl engine.

It was a  boy scout troops project truck. They used it to haul their gear to different outings, camping, sports etc.

They had painted it orange with black trim, looked sharp. They did a good backyard paint job on it.

The motor spun a rod bearing. Another troop project, they pulled the head & pan and removed the rod & piston, put it back together and drove it more.

Eventually it needed a valve job .... Troop leader called it quits & sold the truck to me for $50. I was 19 years old & dumb enough to pull the head and have napa do a valve job.

All  said and done, the motor ran smooth, I had $200 into the truck. A mechanic that helped me set the solid lifters, knew the piston issue and offered me $300 for it.

I sold it and he drove it a long time, think he eventually installed a sbc in it.

I have a 2nd engine to swap, but we leave for the summer in Maine May 10. I’m shipping the truck there, so with this partial solution, I won’t swap it, save time. Will fix over there. Thanks guys! 

21 hours ago, pflaming said:

So for a way to survive around home until I have time to deal with it properly,  this will get me around.  Thankyou.

I wouldn’t go too far or go too fast. I forgot to mention that the 54 never had over 10-15 psi of oil pressure. I never left town in it.  Good luck

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

You may get lucky, maybe not.  After you get the rod out and evaluate the finish and measure the journal then you can decide.  If it is standard and worn you may be able to polish with fine abrasive cloth and use a .001 or .002 undersize.  I've even seen some NOS .012 and 022s on eBay!  Never saw one in hand though. 

When it is apart shoot a pic or two and let us evaluate.

The above replies have been very helpful. Conclusion: i will leave engine as is. Will build a one high side panels on the box, use that to ship items, and ship it East. No time to do more here. And will, ship my replacement engine 

TKS for the input.  

• Like 1