1935 Plymouth PJ rear wheel cylinders

rrunnertexas

Good afternoon, this is my first post here as I'm new to 1930's cars.

I have been searching for new rear wheel cylinders or maybe just the cylinder rebuild kits for the 1935 Plymouth PJ, however, have not been able to locate them or I see conflicting part numbers listed on web pages.

I'm hoping someone here with experience can point me in the right direction as to where these parts can be located.  If a local NAPA would be nice or an online parts place?

Sure appreciate the help.

David

Welcome to the Forum.  This is one of those sites you'll never regret finding, or visiting often.  I'll get the usual two things out of the way - 1) we really like pictures of your car(s) and related projects, and 2) a search of the site will sometimes yield results quicker than a query.  But, we're always happy to help however we can.  There is a "Links" section herein that has vendors that you will find useful.  I've had good luck with brake parts from Kanter Auto Products, and Andy Bernbaum.

The rebuild kits are likely to be pretty standard with the possible exception of the boots (early ones have a rectangular opening for the end of the shoe to fit through while the later 1930s and 1940s had a rod between the piston and shoe so a round hole in the dust boot).

However I regret that I cannot help directly as 1935 is the one year for the 1930s that I don’t have a factory parts list so I can’t research the part numbers for you. If you have the original Chrysler part numbers for either the rebuild kits or for the individual parts then there is a reasonable chance someone on this forum can better help you.

Always a phone call to verify correct parts for the early Mopars as they often changed specs once,twice, or more through the year as my friend found  on his 37 Plymouth for steering parts.

Old owner of Berbaums (-Andy -(oldmoparts.com) was helpful with info,  Chris the new owner is said to be up on this also but no personal experience myself with him.

DJ

20 hours ago, rrunnertexas said:

Dan and TodFitch,

Thank you for the fast replies.  Just looked at the Bernbaum site and see they offer new rear wheel cylinders for the 1935 model.  So, those and other items are in the cart now.  

Let the fun begin.

Thanks!

David

I have had good luck in the past from taking the parts numbers off the wheel cylinders in the car,and then doing a web search using those numbers as the key word. 

Did this for my 39 IHC pu when the cheapest ones I could find from the typical suspect antique parts dealers were $99 each,and these were "who knows how old NOS" items.

I discovered the 53 and 54 Corvette  used the same wheel cylinders,and bought all 4 new on Amazon for $4.99 each,including shipping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

I have had good luck in the past from taking the parts numbers off the wheel cylinders in the car,and then doing a web search using those numbers as the key word. 

Did this for my 39 IHC pu when the cheapest ones I could find from the typical suspect antique parts dealers were $99 each,and these were "who knows how old NOS" items.

I discovered the 53 and 54 Corvette  used the same wheel cylinders,and bought all 4 new on Amazon for $4.99 each,including shipping.

And when doing this, record the cross references that you found so that next time you need the information you have it on hand. Or, for that matter, being able to share with others that cross reference information. The database I have on my website started back in the 1970s as a 3x5 card file of that type of information.

7 hours ago, TodFitch said:

And when doing this, record the cross references that you found so that next time you need the information you have it on hand. Or, for that matter, being able to share with others that cross reference information. The database I have on my website started back in the 1970s as a 3x5 card file of that type of information.

Todd,if you want to know the numbers I PROBABLY have them  on my "39IHC" file. If you want me to look and send them to you,send me a PM and I will be happy to do so.

25 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Todd,if you want to know the numbers I PROBABLY have them  on my "39IHC" file. If you want me to look and send them to you,send me a PM and I will be happy to do so.

I am only really interested if they were also used on early Plymouths. :)

The key point you made and I reinforced it that when you find a cross that works you should save it for future reference.