WHAT TO DO ?

Mr Stewart

It's a town sedan, non suicide rear doors, pretty rare body style, not many around any more.  Dodge may have been the only Chrysler brand to have it.  Make it safe clean it up, get it running right and enjoy it. Probably has fluid drive.  Make sure your e brake works.  No compression braking with engine off.  If not e brake then chock the wheels.  Then tend to wander off if not on a dead level and secured.

• Like 1

“Not sure what to do with it”...Uttered by so few here! Lol. 

I’d make it reliable, safe, and drive it. No shortage of help here if you ask. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Stewart said:

Just bought this and I wondering what to do with it...

20210326_112633.jpg

That's easy.

You should give it to me.

When would be a good time for me to come and pick it up?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Holy fecal matter! What a  score....I love town sedans! Military maroon yowser.

There was actually such a thing as a "Military Maroon"?

Every military sedan I have ever seen was either gray (Navy,Coast Guard) or olive drab,with a strong emphasis on the "drab".

No matter how old you get,you can still learn something new every day.

On good days,you can even remember some stuff you used to know!

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every time I look at that car,I want it a little more.

I think if it were mine,I would clean up the rust on the bumper and paint it with clear to keep it from rusting again,and then just do my damndest to keep it exactly the way it is in those photos. Original,untouched 40's cars are almost impossible to find anymore,and that one is such a fine example it would almost be a shame to mess with it at this late date.

Do you have any history on previous owners and where it was stored and how it was used?

My 42 Dodge coupe is an original 30 thousand mile car that was bought new by a woman in Boston a couple of days before Pearl Harbor,and she kept it in her garage and only drove it to church on Sunday,or maybe to a special event. When she died in the late 80's,the guy I bought it from bought it at her estate sale to use as a "model" to restore one he already had. The damn fool parked it out in his back yard and kept a door propped open so his dog would have a place to sleep out of the rain and snow. I saw it for sale with some fuzzy photos and asked him how bad the obvious rust was,and he told me "not too bad. Mostly surface rust",so I bought it. When the guy I hired to bring it to me got there to pick it up,it was so rusty he called me on the phone and asked me if I really wanted it. Since I had already paid for it,I told him to bring it.

Not only that,but the trunk full of spare NOS parts was empty,and a couple of parts had been sold off the engine,like the carb and breather,and the hubcaps were all missing. I called and asked the seller about it,and he said,"Oh,yeah. I had my son come over to help me move it up front so your guy could load it on his trailer,and he mentioned that he knew where he could sell all that stuff,so I guess he took it." No apology,no nothing.

He later had the stones to email me and ask me if I would send him progress photos when I started working on it.

• Sad 1

Welcome to the forum and a super looking Dodge you have here?. If this were mine, I would keep it original, completely,and  make sure the brakes and fuel system are in proper order. Be sure the wiring is in good condition and then drive and enjoy it. I had a 1948 Dodge 4 door (not a Town Sedan like this one) and I can tell you that they are wonderful cars and nice to work on. This is my opinion of course. Good luck to you.

John R

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well, if you just bought it and have no clue what to do with it....perhaps you should not have bought it....best just drop that pig off at my house and cut your losses......?

Be closer to drop it at my house, no sense in wasting the extra gas to your house  ?

funny you should mention that, I am sitting here drinking the last cup of coffee, have just put on a fresh pot to perk up having JUST CAME IN from the garden setting out some of my starter plants into my bucket garden.  I have 50 pots online this spring and bought while available yet, 25 more for future expansion.   Win or lose be a good sport and hopefully a few fresh veggies for the table later.

14 hours ago, Mr Stewart said:

Just bought this and I wondering what to do with it...

Chopped, channeled, Small block Chevy, Turbo 400 trans. Ford 9" rear, disc brakes all around?   ?

If you do, a bunch of us will show up with guns! ?

Lols!

Unfortunately, we haven't heard any replies from Mr. Stewart.  Maybe we didnt make a good first impression.  Probably hasn't been lurking long enough to pick up on the group vibe.  Hope we haven't run him off.

Edited by greg g