Clutch assy selection for 1948 Plymouth Business Coupe

dartgt

Installing stock overdrive tranny upgrade in my coupe. Orig 6 cyl.  

Anyone have recommendations/experience for quality clutch, pressure plate, bearing and bushing?

Mopar- Pro on eBay has "made in the USA" set up for $369... no exch

Kanter has individual parts for similar price w/ exch core.

Surprisingly can't get straight answers from NAPA or Car Quest

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

IMG_1372.jpg

• Like 2

All of the parts I've bought from mopar pro have been of great quality. I haven't used his clutch parts but for under 400 bucks and made in the USA, no brainer. Depending on how.much you drive, you'll probably never have to replace it. By the way, your car is really.nice, going to be a sweet cruiser with the overdrive.

I bought the parts for mine several years sgo from these folks. Mine was a standard non od trans.  
https://www.then-now-auto.com/

Others  here have talked about Tennessee clutch as well being a good supplier  

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Please, if you can, post details and any info you come crossed for your project installing the OD. I am interested doing the same thing to my '47. It would be nice to see what I maybe getting myself into.

P.S. - Beautiful car!

Clutch diameter can vary. 9 1/4" seems to be the average for passenger cars. LWB and taxies got larger discs. Wouldn't hurt to check the number of centre splines. Best practice is to know exactly what is in your car, before ordering new parts. Lots of parts have had ample opportunity to get swapped around over over the past 70 years.

IMG_5454.jpg

Don't know where you are but there as a place called Tennessee clutch that can rebuild your stuff back to new condition.  Might be worth a lookup and get pricing from them.  Several members have used their services with good results.  I have a gently used disc and pressure plate I pulled from my car when I bebuilt the engine PM if interested.

Your car looks familiar.

IMG_20170516_153957_154.jpg.18b74e1a5893edd3ff038fc9715f938c.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the help guys...

Also I will pull my assy out and check before ordering, great idea.

When I purchased the car a few years ago the gentlemen told me the clutch was recently replaced. But towards the end of last year it seemed to vibrate and slip a bit.

As I'm pulling trans anyways, I just want to get flywheel resurfaced and install new assy for piece of mind and smooth cruising.

There are some really helpful post on here for the overdrive swap I have read and printed.

I will update any concerns or helpful hints I run into... should be in next month or so.

Yours does too Greg... nice

According ot my Borg warner clutch and Pressure Plate catalog:

1946 Plymouth coupe   dampen Plate number 740  Cover assembly 926 9 1/4 - 1 inch

cd740   B&B 9 1/4 10 spline 1 inch SPG-Borglite 926   Dodge and Plymouth 1940-50

Thhe 926 Presure late is a model  9A7   dodge 40-52 ply 40-55

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939

You might find your flywheel has two mounting patterns. One should be a 9 1/4" clutch and the other if there would be for a 10 inch clutch. I found this on my 52. I went to the trouble of getting the 10 inch clutch thinking it would be an upgrade in terms of durability. The 10 inch clutches can be difficult to find - but they are out there, ebay is your friend. I would not hesitate to buy used stuff and have it remanufactured. I was able to find a good used pressure plate and a new NOS disc.

• Like 1

If you are open to having your clutch rebuilt the folks at H & S Clutch rebuilders

in Johnson City, Tennessee did a great job for me, even provided an alignment

tool. Turn around time was less than a week.  Their # is 1 800 366 0629.

Thanks again for all the info...

Appreciate the suggestions on the Tenn rebuilder also. I really like to support those kind of shops. They are becoming far and few between these days!!

We have a shop locally in Columbus, Hite Parts Rebuilders, been around since the 30's...

Had them rebuild my original starter, generator and carburetor , there awesome. They flow test the carbs and set them up to spec.