Oil change and new differential carrier gasket p15

Cudan

Hi,

i have the service manual nut could not find the procedure how to change the carrier gasket, what is the way to do it. Disassembling the pinion flange nut and bolts of the carrier, then the carrier will come off ?

Dan

At least on my '33 (and I think later rear ends were designed in a similar manner), you need to pull the axle shafts out of the housing before the center carrier can be removed from the housing. And you don’t need to remove the pinion flange or flange nut to replace the carrier gasket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TodFitch said:

At least on my '33 (and I think later rear ends were designed in a similar manner), you need to pull the axle shafts out of the housing before the center carrier can be removed from the housing. And you don’t need to remove the pinion flange or flange nut to replace the carrier gasket.

couldnt you take a livestock syringe with say a 3/8 plastic hose and and siphon gear oil out out of filler plug?

Check if you can find a drain plug, some mopar rear ends have them, some don't.........however as mentioned the way to remove the carrier assembly/pumpkin is to remove the rear axles on each side, then you can remove the carrier........you maybe able to ever so slightly get the carrier away from the housing by just undoing the carrier nuts but it won't be very far and will be pulling against the axles.....you may just be able to squirt some gasket goo in between the carrier and housing but it won't be a proper fix, if that..........either way the driveshaft should be undone but the pinion flange center nut won't need to be touched......unless its leaking from the seal there also...................the correct proceedure to replace the carrier gasket is .......driveshaft, axles then carrier.........andyd  

I think the procedure is described as “a can of worms”.
To change carrier gasket:

Remove:

Hub cap

Wheel lug bolts

wheel

cotter pin
Axle nut
pull brake drum

remove brake shoes and hardware

remove wheel brake cylinders

remove brake backing plate

Pull out axles
get under car remove drive line

unbolt carrier and remove

Reassemble with all new bearings & seals! Yay!

No, its not simple. Yet its not hard to do either. Just lots of steps. I likely forgot to mention a few steps too. 

• Thanks 1

Is it really leaking at the gasket? Might be dripping down from someplace above like the pinion seal. Or possibly one of the bolts holding the differential on. Those would be easier to work on.

With respect to the bolts holding the differential carrier to the axle housing: You can remove one of the lower ones and let the lubricant flow out there. Not as large a diameter as a proper drain plug, but it should work. Which brings up the possibility of a leak there: If someone has drained the axle that way in the past then there is a fairly good chance that they didn’t use thread sealer when they put the bolt back in and you may have a little weeping of gear lube there.