1948 Plymouth P15

Lee Hammond

Hi Guys, just wanted to share and ask if anyone can help me trace the history of this car? I am based in the UK where I purchased this car.

So far I have been told it was a originally based on a French US Military base and then went into a French museum, thats it so far!!

Any comments would be much appreciated, good or bad!!! Regards Lee

5E50FE63-9DC4-4878-ABC1-B41F3B9F411C.JPG

2287388A-BB5A-4343-B32E-7315B7991DA5.JPG

IMG_9714.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9718.jpg

• Like 1

Chrysler Build Records

What To Do:

Send a letter requesting your Build Record to:

Chrysler LLC

Corporate Historical Collection

12501 Chrysler Fwy.

CIMS 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48288 USA

Attn: Historical Information

Be sure to include the serial number of the car in question (tag is mounted to the A pillar and proof of ownership (a copy of the title, for example), a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check made payable to Chrysler LLC.

when last I checked the service was being offered for free.

Edited by Mark D
  • Like 1

By the way Lee, you’re in good company. There are several P 15‘s in the UK. Keep in touch with Robin Weathersbee, he organizes a great gathering of P 15‘s every September, I’m sure you’d enjoy it. (Flew over from Boston and attended the last two myself!)

• Like 1

The number beginning with118 is the serial number that Chrysler Corp used for their tracking.  You may be able to send that number along with your ownership documents to the Chrysler Historical group.  They can then print out a facsimile of the assembly line build card for the car whichnwill detail when and where it was assembled who the receiving dealer was.  I believe the fee is apx 50 EU. There is also an engine number stamped into a flat casting located at the top of the engine block above the generator.  It should start with P 15 which is the engineering code forPlymouths made between 1946 through March of 1949.  Things get a little murkey

with exports as Chrysler has several strategies for avoiding taxes fees and duties.  Many shipped to Europe were made in Canada and shiped wholely assembled cars, others were shipped as knockdowns basically kit car parts and assembled in the receiving country.  So may be your search will illuminate how they went about it in France.  Also measure the length of the cylinder head.  Cars built in the US had 23 inch heads engines made in Canada were 25 inches long.  In the Stated Dodge and Plymouth has the 23 inch, Chrysler and De Soto got the 25 inch.  Canadian origined had 25 inch regardless of brand.  If you want to do some further detective work an electric wire brush can reveal the original engine number stamped into the frame on the left rear above and a bit behind the rear axle.

Neat car, welcome aboard.

• Like 1

As far as I can tell the interior is pretty original but as a result very worn and threadbare!! 

Will need the door cards re-doing, reupholstery and a new carpet set but that said I might make do with the threadbare!!!!

I would like a set of hub caps too if there are any available via the group?